Baby Names

My last name as second middle name vs. hyphenated last name

What do you think about a second middle name that is the mother's last name?

For example, let's say my name is Lucy Harvey (neither are my real names, but they fit the criteria). I chose Harvey because, like my real last name, it's a name that can be a last name or a first name.

J (let's say his name is Joe Bueller) and I have been together for almost 12 years, but we're just now getting married at the end of October, and I'm not changing my name. I will remain Lucy Harvey and he will still be Joe Bueller.

Here's what I'm wondering. If we have children, we will likely choose for them to have his last name. I know that we can hyphenate our names so that the children have both last names (Harvey-Bueller), but I'm afraid that can be a hassle for them later.

Instead, we were thinking that maybe the children could have my last name as a second middle name. I know that double middle names can still be a hassle, but most people I know with double middle names simply drop the second one if there is an issue on a form or something.

On some level, I think I prefer the look of the hyphenated version, but I also know that if we go the double-middle-name route, it's easier to drop the Harvey if needed. Something about the second middle name feels more versatile to me.

I guess my questions boil down to:

What would you choose? Double middle name or hypenated last name?
Generic examples might be: Sarah Jane Harvey Bueller (Sarah Jane Bueller) vs. Sarah Jane Harvey-Bueller

If anyone here has this sort of name (either type), what are your experiences?
Do you have problems or issues with software, forms, etc?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: My last name as second middle name vs. hyphenated last name

• I apologize for writing a novel. I also apologize for any typos I may have made.

• My kids have hyphenated last names. The only problem we have had so far is some people calling them by only one of the last names. Not really a big deal. We figure when the kids grow up they can choose to keep it the same or they can choose to drop a name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hyphenated last names are extremely common in my area (Quebec) because women cannot legally change their last names after they get married.  It's really not a big deal here.  I'd say about 30% of kids (very rough estimate) have hyphenated last names.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it if having your LN represented is important to you.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Love the idea of doing a double middle with your LN.

Congrats on getting married!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I like the idea of a double middle name.  My MIL has a hyphenated last name and all three of her kids have her maiden name as their middle name (although it is their only middle name) and FIL's last name.  
  • Personally, I would go with having your LN as a MN or a second middle name.  I think it's simpler.  But that's just my opinion. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The people I know who have hyphenated last names find it annoying that people either only use of them or that there is not enough spaces on forms, credit cards, etc. to put their full names on them.  So, like, half of the second name gets cut off.  Now if you have two short last names, it's not an issue.  I would probably use my last name as a middle name though.
    Anniversary 
  • I know you didn't mention this as an option, but if it was me, I'd want our entire family to have the hyphenated LN. I think everything being uniform is the least confusing option. Not that other people's reactions are the only thing that matter, but you, your H and your children all having a different LN is going to be a repeated source of confusion from schools, doctor's offices, etc. People can and will learn; it's just something to consider. If it doesn't bother you to sometimes (frequently?) be called "Mrs. Bueller" or "Mrs. Harvey-Bueller" instead of "Mrs. Harvey," then this point matters less.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Darbie914 I have considered it as a single MN, and that would work fine for a boy, but I don't like it as a single middle name for a girl as much. Also, we would probably use the first mn as a way to honor other family members.  It's still a possibility though.

@Helenahandbasket Thanks!

@WashingtonQueen and @Empireceo Back when I used to teach, we had a couple of computer programs that would give us issues with hyphenated last names.  One was the general record keeping program, and the other was for grades and assignments. We may have happened to have the only two to ever give trouble over that kind of thing, but that's a big part of what I want to avoid.

@Scarlett&Gatsby  We've both been (periodically) referred to by the wrong last name for years now.  I get called Mrs. Bueller and he's called Mr./Dr. Harvey.  If it's someone we'll probably never see again, like a hotel clerk in another city or something, we don't even bother correcting them.  Neither of us are really bothered by that, but having children does complicate it all a little.  This is partially why I like the second middle name option.  I don't really mind being the odd one out if it would save hassle in the long run (that may accompany hyphenated names).

• Don't hyphenate. Just don't do it. I had a hyphenated last name growing up and it was a huge burden. My parents were married but my mom wanted to "pass on" her name to me (insert all the eye rolls. All of them). I tried to have it changed as a child but it was too much of a hassle legally. I was so excited to change my surname to my DH's when I got married.

I've had issues with my drivers license, credit cards, insurance, medical files, college apps, school records, and a million other things because so many forms don't accept hyphens in names.

Also, people are bloody idiots. Trying to spell my last name out over the phone to company reps or doctors offices has been such a pain. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that don't understand that a hyphenated last name is legally considered one name. Or that a hyphen is a "dash". Or that a dash is "the key to the right of the zero key on the keyboard.... Yeah the one that looks like a horizontal line".

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

K. Sorry. End rant.

image image

• I do not have a hyphenated last name but things that I have thought as we see a trend this way is what does the child do if they want to keep a last name when they get married.  Harper-Bueller-Jones?  Also, asking the child to pick a last name is kind of like picking a parent and as a child/adult child that would be really hard I would think.  If it was me I would do your maiden name as a middle name and then his as a last or vis-a-versa.  But that's just my opinion.
  • mmluvswdw said:
    I do not have a hyphenated last name but things that I have thought as we see a trend this way is what does the child do if they want to keep a last name when they get married.  Harper-Bueller-Jones?  Also, asking the child to pick a last name is kind of like picking a parent and as a child/adult child that would be really hard I would think.  If it was me I would do your maiden name as a middle name and then his as a last or vis-a-versa.  But that's just my opinion.
    When they get married they will either keep their original hyphenated last name, or take their husband's name.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think either a double MN or a hyphenated LN for everyone would be fine. I prefer the option of a hyphenated LN for everyone though.

Congrats on getting married! I'm getting married the first weekend in November :-)
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• My step MIL never changed her last name when she married my FIL. All their kids have her last name as their middle name. They don't have another middle name. I guess that's fine to do, if you are into it. But I personally wouldn't do it.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• I'm not a fan of hyphenated last names in general, I would go the route of using it as a middle name though for sure!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have a friend who had a hyphenated last name and she always got held up during registration for classes and things because she never knew what last name they were using. Some dropped the hind name, some dropped the first, and some kept them both. It was a huge hassle for her and she always hated it!

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I would suggest a second middle name. I don't have personal experience, but I considered both options as I kept my name for professional purposes. However, one day I remember walking into a VP at my company's office and she had just gotten off the phone with her child's school - she [strongly] advised me to never ever hyphenate any of our names. They have trouble with schools, traveling, etc.
  • My kids have my last name (didn't change mine) as their middle name. I like that my last name and my DH's last name is on their birth certs, passports, etc. This was a pretty common practice in the US in the revolutionary days until the 20th century. One famous example is Franklin Delano Roosevelt... 
  • I went through all this when I changed my name. I was totally set on pushing my maiden name in as a second middle name - until I realized there is no box for 2 middle initials on forms, etc. What would I put for my drivers license? Did I pick one? Did I squeeze both? Was that even legal? I basically chickened out. If you're dead set on 4 names, I'd hyphenate. She can always choose to go by just one of the last names.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• When I filled out our marriage license, I left myself the option of hyphenating my last name in the future but after 2 years, still have not bothered. Mostly because I was trying to avoid hassles in accessing my federal scholarship while still in graduate school, but also because I am already published under my maiden name and in my field, reputation and reference is really important. At one point, DH and I actually thought about hybridizing our last names and starting a new family name -- though we didn't legally do this, close friends and family now refer to our household by that charming nickname.

With our little girl on the way, I've been having some internal debate as to whether I should follow through with legally hyphenating my last name so that I share it with her but I must admit that I am leaning against it. DH hasn't brought it up at all and I think he's totally fine with whatever I choose. In any case, she'll take DHs surname so I'll be the out-group; however, I think I'm okay with that... We live in a progressive area where it common for family members to have different names. We also travel a lot and have roots where this is normal. Plus, as we debate FN & MN choices, it gives me a bit more say as well as reason to use a family name for a MN if it works (though we mostly agree thus far).
  • I kept my last name when we got married. My last name will be the kids' middle name.
  • Really wait and see when the time comes. When I got married I really wasn't a fan of changing my name. Professionally I was known by my maiden name and I wasn't thrilled with DH's LN. I had a long battle with SSA to fix my birthday (super long story) so I had about a year to sit on it before I could legally do any changing. In that year I learned I was really happy to be called Mrs. DH. Everything was simpler in terms of joint accounts, applying for mortgage etc and I felt really connected to him. So when I could change it, I did. Not trying to convince you to change yours but I was able to take my maiden name as a second middle name and it worked out well. I'm so happy I didn't hyphenate because I can see all the hassle it could be. So once you and DH settle into married life you can see how you feel about future kids names, a lot can change from now to then.
  • NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited October 2013
    So I just saw this title on the board page and thought, "Hey, somebody asked a VERY similar question..." Nope, it was just revived. 

@HisGirlFriday929  Thanks! This little shindig goes down tomorrow evening.

• Haha - I didn't even notice the dates!  Oh my goodness - that's awesome!  Have an amazing time tomorrow :).
    I'm not sure I've mentions the date very many times on here, or on the wall in my profile.  I think I've just said late October mostly.

Thanks! 

• NerdyLucy said:
    Haha - I didn't even notice the dates!  Oh my goodness - that's awesome!  Have an amazing time tomorrow :).
    I'm not sure I've mentions the date very many times on here, or on the wall in my profile.  I think I've just said late October mostly.

Thanks! 
    Oh, haha - I meant the date of this original post - not your wedding date :)
    Oy. I'm a doofus. Hah. 

• Hyphenated LN does seem a hassle, I vote use it as their only middle name, but if you dislike that then definitely use it as 2nd MN.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"