Food Allergy

OIT for peanut allergy?

Has anyone explored OIT?  I am still researching, but the benefits sound amazing. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: OIT for peanut allergy?

• oral immuntherapy?  where they give you a tiny tiny tiny amount of peanut and increase it weekly? 

• I've only ever heard of people doing it as part of a research study. There was one I was reading about that's in CA, I think. The researcher is hoping to take it national. There was a really interesting piece about it in the NYTimes a few months ago.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, oral immunotherapy.  There are a handful of private practice clinics around the country that do offer this.  I am part of a board on FB called Peanut Anaphylaxis Cure and there are a lot of people on there who are either going through it or have already done it.  The closest allergist to me that offers it is 5 hours away.  I hope it becomes more widespread soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i heard great things about it. Recently there was a post on the yahoo group  about a young boy going to the ER from an ana reaction even though he's been on 3 nightly peanuts.  But the mom said she thinks it happened because after he had his peanuts he ran for a short distance and when you're eating your daily peanut you're suppose to keep your heart rate steady.  So elevated heart rate can cause a reaction.  I can't imagine doing this with my hyper kid now. Maybe that's why the doctors want to wait until a child is older too. 
  • I hope we get that far!  i don't care about eating a PBJ, i just want the accidental bite to not be deadly. 
  • magdusia said:
    I hope we get that far!  i don't care about eating a PBJ, i just want the accidental bite to not be deadly. 

ITA, it would be so nice not to have to worry about it all the time. It's stressful even just to visit a friend's house if I know they eat PB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"