Parenting
Options

Pageants

edited September 2013 in Parenting
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Pageants 102 votes

Yes
14% 15 votes
No
43% 44 votes
Ain't nobody got time for that!
36% 37 votes
SS
5% 6 votes

Re: Pageants

• Options
  • Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I put SS because we have only had one opportunity to put her in one and I decided not to. I think at her age (17 mo) it will just be a who's cuter competition but I did two pageants at 11 and 12 and I had a lot if fun. The popular rich girl some both times but I was at a point where I was just happy to do something fun. I also earned my money to enter so the cost wasn't too big of an issue. Iwould probably let her compete if she wanted to at an older age.

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12
  • Options
    I put no because my friend's little sister is 14 and now a whiny egotistical pageant brat and I can't even deal with her now.
    But I guess if your child is little that egoism might not be as much of an issue.

Formerly known as KJLx121.
  • Options
  • Options
    Let's teach DD that life is a competition based on looks that are artificially generated.  Sounds like a great idea.  Reinforces all those cool cultural things we already have in that direction.  Fabulous.

/end sarcasm

Ok, ok, that was a bit harsh.  But no, I fundamentally disagree with pageants, especially for children.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    I did pageants as a child and I intend to enter DD in them when she's old enough. I was 5 when I started and I loved doing them. Absolutely loved it. There are always going to be stage mothers and brats, just as there will always be superficiality, but if you are careful and have a purpose, pageants can really positively affect your daughter's life.

I was a very shy child, so for my mother, putting me in pageants was a way to get me out of my shell while indulging my love of dress-up. It also helped that my best friend did them and had a coach. Some things I learned and gained while doing pageants were confidence in myself; the ability to speak in public; better manners; realization that while you may always want to look your best, what matters most is what is on the inside and what you have to contribute (interview and talent are higher-scoring categories). I also learned how to properly apply makeup, which came in handy during my teenage years so that I never looked like campy, lol. Things I learned at 5 have served me well 20 years later and I firmly believe I am a better person for it.

The most important thing, though, was that I had a mother, a father, and other adults around me who were not stage parents and who made sure not to indulge any bratty tendencies. I was asked beforehand if I wanted to enter a pageant and I was aware of sacrifices that had to be made, such as not getting a certain Barbie in order to afford registration fees for Little Miss Florida. They made sure that even if I didn't win, that I had fun and realized that I had had an experience and an opportunity that many girls didn't. I think if you go into it with the same kind of mindset -- that this is to be 1) fun, 2) formative, and 3) fun -- you should be okay.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I did ballet, tap, jazz, ect and was in the junior ensamble at my dance studio. I am not a skinny girl and even when I was I had curves. Ballet for kids is fine, ballet professionally is when they have to have a certain look. It's the same for all sports, dance, ect though. You should see gymnasts.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I wish there was a "fuck no" option for the poll.

But...ballet =/= pageants.

Ballet is about what you can DO with your body, not just how it looks.  The body is part of the athleticism and artistry of ballet.  Pageant bodies are about looking sexually attractive in a swimsuit.

Pageants are really just about what you look like.  And I guess how big of an ass you can make out of yourself.
  • Options
    I put DS in a pageant for charity. It cost 50.00 to enter then of course you could enter a pic for an extra 20.00....all money went that was raised went to United Way.

I will never do it again because DS didn't even place in anything and acted like a fucking looney toon on stage, running around laughing and screaming.

I was soooo butt hurt when he didn't win. My kid is the cutest, dammit!
    “I’d marry again if I found a man who had $15 million and would sign over half of it to me before the marriage and guarantee he’d be dead in a year.” - Bette Davis
  • Options
    I really really don't like them, but I can't say I would outright refuse if I had a child old enough to beg to do them. I would insist on no tanning, little to no makeup, no leg shaving, etc. And refuse to spend tons of money. Maybe that would cause him/her to lose and lose interest :P

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options

I'd rather sign up and pay to punch myself in the face.

I snorted. This exactly.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    No pagents, period. My DH's mother would love to put this next one in patents (35 weeks pregnant with #2, can't figure out tickers) and I have already put the kibosh on that, thank you very much. They are just icky to me, sexualizing little girls. And I know, it's a mall pagent, but that's sort of like a gateway pagent, no?
    And @Brandibee, I sort of get where you are coming from, too. My little sister (15) started in ballet and now does hip hop, jazz and ballet and she's so snotty and full of herself, I can barely stand to be around her. And all her snottiness is based on her looks. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    littlestjerrylittlestjerry member
    edited September 2013
    I'd rather sign up and pay to punch myself in the face.

I agree, but I feel that way about lots of potential extracurriculars. Like, the idea of an all day swim meet, for example, makes me want to fork my eyes out, but I'm not gonna invalidate a choice because I dislike it. I would definitely say "well, pageants aren't really that productive because they're based on looks and you are beautiful no matter what a pageant judge says," but I wouldn't feel right saying no if I had a kid who really really wanted to do it. I would still want to fork my eyes out though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options
  • Options
    @MotherofPearl85, I just think some moms get that first win and can't stop from getting more. Or, they lose that first mall pagent and have some thing to prove or something. I don't know, I think that kind of recognition is like a drug for many of those moms.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
  • Options
    They aren't "a thing" here and I'm grateful for that.

But DD in Ballet class is the most cutest thing ever and I hope she wants to do it for years just so I can watch her hop around in a leotard with that little attempt at a bun I give her.

• Options
    If she wants to do it, I won't tell her no.  Pageants aren't my thing, but she's not me, so at some point she's bound to have interests that I don't share. 
  • Options
    When I think of pageants, I don't think of toddlers & tiaras glitz stuff.  I think of MSC, who some of y'all probably remember even though she hasn't posted in forever.  MSC completely changed my opinion of what pageants can do for girls.  She competed in pageants at a pretty high level, and if I happen to raise a daughter with the kind of confidence, poise, smarts, etc that MSC possesses, I will be extremely proud.  
  • Options
  • Options
    MrsJakesMrsJakes member
    edited September 2013
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My friend just put her 14 month old in the pageant at our county fair. She got third place last year when she was 2 months old, and my friend was REALLY hoping to win this year since she has "so much more personality now." She got third again, personality and all. 

I don't understand the point. It's great if you win, but if you don't, you're just left feeling crappy about yourself. There's one winner, and 15 other girls (or moms, if your kid is too young) left to wonder why they aren't good enough. I understand that in all competitions there is only one winner, but when you are being judged on your looks that you have no real control over, it just makes me feel sad.
    DS <October 2010>
  • Options
    I was looking at a pageant here in my town and actually thought about putting DD in. It is not at all like Toddlers & Tiaras. It is basically toddlers in a 'regular' dress and a bow in their hair. As toddlers obviously they aren't expected to do much but be pleasant. As they get older and learn about poise, etc. I think there are positive things they can learn from it. I dunno. I didn't put her in and probably won't in the end.  

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options

A pageant is literally the last activity I would consider signing my daughter up for. 

It is my belief that any important skill that one may learn from being in a pageant can likely be learned better somewhere else, and minus all the objectification.  

After reading this entire thread I still don't see any compelling reason as to why someone would choose that for their child.  It is a mindset so very different from my own, that I simply cannot comprehend it.  

C is 3 years old

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"