Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Feeding a 15 month old

Hi ladies!  My 15 month is a fairly picky eater.  He usually eats scrambled eggs in the morning, peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and pasta with vegetables for dinner.  He snacks on cheese, goldfish crackers, and some fruit during the day.  He rarely will try new foods.  I'm at a loss of what else I can incorporate into his diet.  My husband works really late, so I don't cook dinners.  So, I just make my son whatever he will eat and I have a sandwich or something.  Any thoughts on what else I can be giving him?  Thank you!

Re: Feeding a 15 month old

• Options

I would start offering something new with each meal.  Doesn't have to be big.  C generally gets a veggie, a protein, and a carb with lunch and dinner.  I've started making sure that two of the three are things I know she'll eat, and one is new.  That way, she will get a decent amount of dinner and be introduced to something new.  Even if she refuses to eat the new thing, I keep trying it every couple of days.  I've found that if I don't make a big deal about the fact that she hasn't eaten it, she's more likely to try it.  That, and I also send a lot of the new items to daycare, as she is much more willing to try them there. 

As far as specific items to add, we just recently tried lima beans and she loves them.  She gets a lot of fruit, her go to veggies are peas and corn, something carrots, and she'll eat pasta and bread and most meats.  HTH!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I love the Weelicious cookbook. She also has a website with tons of recipes. I don't eat dinner at the same time as my LO because I eat dinner late (around 9) when my H gets home from work.

I work FT and am completely exhausted by the time I get home, so I usually have 1 stock up day where I'll make a couple weeks worth of freezer friendly meals. I'll throw in a vegetable and/or fruit with the meal. 

If I'm not up for making something, one of my go-to's is buying a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shredding the meat and wrapping individual portion sizes of it. I freeze it and just microwave it with a veggie. My LO isn't a super picky eater but he always devours things made from the Weelicious book/website. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, this sounds super familiar. My DH works nights every other month and my son has gotten really picky. He won't eat veggies and hates pasta. Plus he goes to bed at 7 and we get home at 5:30 and he eats IMMEDIATELY so there's not really time to cook anything and when I do bother (crockpot) he won't eat it.

The most frustrating part is if I give him food he doesn't like he cries and it makes things worse. That is unless I also give him something he DOES want. It doesn't help that he also doesn't like the food at daycare so he is really hungry and cranky when we get home.

I tend to give him eggs (with veggies mixed in, like spinach), cheese, PB toast, tater tots, fruit (HE LOVES FRUIT), and sometimes he'll eat meat. The list is getting smaller and smaller.

I wish I could help!
  • Options
    Just because your h works late doesn't mean you and the toddler shouldn't eat a real meal, at least part of the time. You just start offering the food. There's no plan or chart, you decide what to make and serve it. They eat, or they don't. It takes at least a dozen exposures to a new food to form likes and dislikes. At minimum each meal should have some kind if protein, grain and fruit/veggie.
    In theory I tend to agree with the eat what I give you or don't eat approach...but it's harder in practice and I don't think it's appropriate at this age. Also, we're in the boat of a child who we had to fight to get to 25% for weight with, so...yeah, I'm not going to let a crying from hunger child go without.

Also, I realize you meant this for the OP and not me so you might have had different advice in a different situation.
  • Options
    At that age LO shared a plate with me every night for dinner. Now that she is older she had her own plate and accepts that it is the same as my plate.  I cook whatever I want for dinner and that is what LO will have.They won't starve at this age from not eating a ton at one meal- they probably will supplement the calories with milk. Its hard for me to say how to get your child to try a 'new' food since by that age LO didn't have any 'new' foods anymore. Once in a while she won't eat something that she hasn't had in a while. I just wrap it up and put it in the fridge and give it to her the next day.
  • Options
    I really do think it helps to eat with kids.  There's so much more to eating than just nutrition.  It's also a very social activity.  Think about going out to dinner with your husband, grabbing a bite with friends, even work events often involve food. 

Obviously eating with your son isn't going to magically solve all your problems, but it might help. Try making a meal for you and your son and eating with him.  That way you'll be introducing him to what you'd like to eat and what you'd like him to eat.  He'll see that you're enjoying it and it might tempt him to try it too.

DH and I usually get home at the same time, so most nights we all eat together, but there are nights when one of us will work late/get home late (and this is usually me).  On those nights, whichever parent is home first eats with our son.  They sit at the table and eat the same meal.  Whichever parent gets home late, usually curls up on the couch next to the parent who ate and gets a nice, relaxing, child free meal while still spending time with their mate.

I also have a ticking time-clock who wants to eat the second we step in the door from daycare, so I tend to make dinners the night before, after he goes to bed.  That way as soon as we get home, I can heat up what I made and we can get to eating quickly.  And then I can take my time making the meal without him.  This also works well because dinner is ready for whichever parent gets home first to heat up.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My LO is a pike eater too, all what he wants to eat is rice and nato. So I have to mix vegetable or some meet on it for him to eat. If I made him a chicken soup I have to put a little bit of rice for him to eat,as well if I made a lentil soup. For his breakfast he also has an egg,but I also try giving him some tomatoes or some sweet potatoes,or I just make an omelet.my DH also comes home late from work,but he eat breakfasts with as in the morning.just try giving him something new all the time and let him try.it he doesn't eat the first time keep trying little by little he will eat it just be patient,and try eating with him. Don't give him to many snacks and just wait until he is hungry and you will see that not matter what you are giving him,he will eat it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter airs on the pickier side as well.  We always try give her what we're eating for dinner first and sometimes she'll eat it and sometimes she flat out refuses.  One little trick that has been working with us lately is putting the new food on a fork and giving it to her.  I think she likes the fact that she is in control of deciding whether or not she'll eat the food and about 9 times out of 10 she'll try it and often likes it...I got her to eat flounder this way the other day.  Our go to foods right now are most fruits, applesauce, yogurt, toast, chicken (roasted or breaded/baked), chicken nuggets, turkey meatballs/meatloaf, mac n cheese, grilled cheese, pasta with tomato sauce, sweet potatoes, carrots, rice...When I give her prepackaged stuff, I try to buy organic and use whole wheat bread/pasta so it's a bit healthier.  We keep trying with the green vegetables, but unfortunately all of our attempts typically end up on the floor...lol  Hang in there...it's a tough stage!   
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has said this yet but our little one loves hummus.  He'll double dip it on a cracker a few times then finally eat the cracker.  We do this with yogurt and Graham crackers too...  other than that, his main go-to foods are peas, black beans, chicken, some lunch meats, bread, pb&j sandwiches, cheerios and any type of fruit.  Those are the things that never fail for us.   
  • Options
    cedenton said:
    Just because your h works late doesn't mean you and the toddler shouldn't eat a real meal, at least part of the time. You just start offering the food. There's no plan or chart, you decide what to make and serve it. They eat, or they don't. It takes at least a dozen exposures to a new food to form likes and dislikes. At minimum each meal should have some kind if protein, grain and fruit/veggie.
    In theory I tend to agree with the eat what I give you or don't eat approach...but it's harder in practice and I don't think it's appropriate at this age. Also, we're in the boat of a child who we had to fight to get to 25% for weight with, so...yeah, I'm not going to let a crying from hunger child go without.

Also, I realize you meant this for the OP and not me so you might have had different advice in a different situation.
    Probably.  But why did you had to fight to get him to 25%? Was he not on the chart at all or dropped significantly? 
    LalaMama81

We had supply issues and bad reflux. I finally gave up supplementing and went straight formula at 3 months. He was 4% at one point. Wasn't born small (8lbs, 2 oz), but lost a lot of weight in the hospital and it took a long time to get him back to birth weight.
  • Options
    libra31libra31 member
    edited September 2013
    smoothies-yogurt, handful frozen berries, 1/4c milk or juice, banana blended
    sweet potato fries- my 1yo's have all loved them
    carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes cooked in crock pot with a roast- don't brown it, just throw it all in there in the morning
    quesidillas- black bean and chicken, chicken and cheese ect.
    pizza- buy crust, add chicken ,cheese and spinach
    toast & hummus
    toasted turkey with avocado
    taco meat with black beans and cheese
    ravioli- we buy frozen chicken and mozzarella from Costco
    steamed peas- I buy frozen and nuke a few in a bowl with a smidge of water
    homemade chicken nuggets- dip chicken tenderloins in egg then bread with mix of bread crumbs, basil, parmesan cheese and bake for 20 min at 400
    turkey meatballs- I buy frozen at Trader Joe's
    turkey burgers- we make and grill them
    soups
    oatmeal
    homemade pancakes- I love the pumpkin one's from all recipes- make a bunch on the weekends and they freeze great

The fork trick works for my 13mo old too.  My kids have all insisted on eating oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce ect themselves from a young age.  Messy but it works!
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"