Food Allergy

Questions from a non-allergy mom

Hi everyone!  Hope it's okay if I post this here, I thought you would be the best resource!

My almost 2 year old son is in daycare.  They appear to be very "allergy friendly" (not sure if that's a correct term or not) as they've been egg and nut free since we started sending in foods.  Today I went in and was informed that there's a child/children (they don't disclose who) that is allergic to sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and mustard seeds, so we need to make sure whatever we send in doesn't contain any of those.  This obviously puts a cramp in my sending of hummus and sunbutter in place of peanut butter like I have been, but more importantly, raises a couple questions on my part.

1) The seed allergy thing is new to me.  I often send in quinoa with my son, which is a seed.  The DCP didn't know if this would trigger the allergy, and will check with the mother, but on the possible chance the mother doesn't know what quinoa is, does anyone here have any experience?  If no one knows, my gut is to not send it, because better safe than sorry, but it's such as easy thing for me to make and send in, I'd prefer to know for sure.

2) My son's birthday is next month and we've already invited all the kids from his school.  Because I don't know what kids have the egg/peanut allergies, my plan was just to serve sun-butter and jelly sandwiches (can be made ahead of time and served cold).  I'm hesitant to do that now, because I also don't know which kid has the sunflower seed allergy.  Is there a good substitution that any of you use or can think of?

3) I was telling my mom about the new restrictions this morning and she said how they should just make sure the 2 year olds aren't sharing lunches.  I told her I'm pretty sure it's more of a danger than just sharing lunches, but I honestly am not familiar with the extent.  Off the top of my head I can see it being an issue with toddlers eating off the floor and teachers not seeing everything that lands there, but there's also usually a tactile concern, right?  Like if they're putting toys in their mouth, or touching each other/toys?
June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Questions from a non-allergy mom

• 1. My daughter is was allergic to sesame seeds. She can handle other seeds just fine though--and she has had a lot of them! So it is quite possible that the child may only be allergic to those kinds of seeds not quinoa. 

2. We do sunflower seed butter here, but I HAVE heard good things about wow butters and soy nut butters as well. Sesame allergy is hard because it DOESN'T have to be listed as an ingredient--so many times just like mustard, it is classified under "spices". We did a lot of homemade things and avoided a lot of things that would have been risky (certain breads, etc). We couldn't use standard breadcrumbs---had to either make our own or use panko crumbs.

At least with us, we ALWAYS touch base before going somewhere where food will be served, and many times pack a lunch "just in case". I honestly wouldn't believe that the parent would not do that---but again look and see if you can find wow butter anywhere. 

3. I posted somewhere else but I am LESS concerned of the cafeterias in the elementary schools going nut free. Our cafeteria even still serves PB&J, but by the time kids are in first grade--they are very aware of their allergies. We do have peanut free tables. They don't share food/sneak food/etc. I have a 2 year old and she just doesn't get the "allergies"--so I can easily see her grabbing someone else's snacks/food. Also I taught in a daycare set--the 2.5 year old class room. At lunch we had 2 teachers for about 17-20 kids. Our eyes just couldn't be everywhere---especially cause at that age all it took was us to be opening containers for a few kids, and another to wander off or grab something from the neighbor. Plus, the residue can easily get over toys, tables, etc. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Thanks guys. I got a call at the end of the day that my little man was running a fever and when I picked him up another mother was talking to the DCP about alternatives she could send to school for her son. I told her about the Wow butter and since I had to take my guy home and to bed, she was going to check the store for it and drop a jar in our cubby if she could find it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • haven't read other replies. but you can buy tahini (sesame) free hummus or make your own pretty easy. 

Also, not sure why the mom of the kid with allergies can't say who the child/mom is so they can help answer any/all questions.  When my son was 3 in school i was very vocal and people had plenty of questions which made me more comfortable. 

There is soy butter you can use.  But honestly, it tastes nasty to me (but so does sunbutter).  Either way, why not just have jelly sandwiches for that day. Kids won't miss sunbutter..  During my son's third birthday party we got bagels (might be tough w/ sesame allergy unless you communicate with the baker and he can assure you the safety and no sesame usage) and i had safe (earth balance) butter and jelly on the table.  Kids loved it and so did parents. 

• Also - when my son was allergic to sesame, he was fine with other seeds and ate quinoa all the time without issues. 
  • magdusia said:
    haven't read other replies. but you can buy tahini (sesame) free hummus or make your own pretty easy.

It's funny, I was actually thinking about this on the way home yesterday.  My parents both worked in a middle eastern grocery when they were younger, so I just grew up making my own hummus.  Tahini just is an automatic thing for me.  But I realized on my drive I could probably leave it out and just make a chickpea spread, or even use cannellini beans for a white bean dip.

Also, not sure why the mom of the kid with allergies can't say who the child/mom is so they can help answer any/all questions.  When my son was 3 in school i was very vocal and people had plenty of questions which made me more comfortable.

I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling is so the child isn't singled out or made uncomfortable?  I never really questioned it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • blu-eyedwife said: Also, not sure why the mom of the kid with allergies can't say who the child/mom is so they can help answer any/all questions.  When my son was 3 in school i was very vocal and people had plenty of questions which made me more comfortable. 

I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling is so the child isn't singled out or made uncomfortable?  I never really questioned it.

Personally, they are all kids and the 2 and 3 year olds aren't thinking to themselves "
    well, he has food allergies so i'm not going to play with him".  It's the parents and maybe they feel like the parents won't want to include their allergic kid in things like birthday parties. But personally if i feel like there is a parent that doesn't take food allergies seriously, i wouldn;t want to go to that birthday party. 

I felt like when i educated other parents in my sons class about his allergies they were so much more understanding and almost all went out of their way to accommodate my son.  

I think hiding it is making it worse. 
  • 1) My son has a sesame allergy and is not allergic to any other seed. Quinoa for him is fine and I would imagine if this child is allergic to quinoa, the mom would know and it would've been part of the list. Though, it's better to be safe and have the DCP ask the mom. Also, there are tons of recipes to make hummus without sesame tahini or sesame oil.

2) For the sandwiches, we steer clear of most breads. Rye is usually a safe option for us. However, here in Canada, sesame is listed as one of the top 8 allergens by Health Canada and legally has to be listed as an ingredient on food labels. I agree with PP about the mom contacting you beforehand if her LO is invited to the party. I never go anywhere without discussing with the hosts first, it's too risky.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"