March 2014 Moms

Botox for migraines???

Here I am just sitting here enjoying the hell out of my noodles and a commercial comes on advertising Botox for migraines! Wth? I wonder if insurance covers it? I haven't looked any more into it as I am preparing for my after lunch food coma :) That's not my thing but I just felt like I should share.

Re: Botox for migraines???

• Insurance prob does. It's most likely for people who have excess tension so the Botox would keep those muscles from becoming tense.

Botox is also used for people with voice disorders caused either by spasms or muscle tension. They inject the vocal folds with it. It works for a while!

• I have chronic migraines that are pretty bad when I'm not pregnant. I get an attack 4-5x a month before being on Topamax... I looked into this around 2 years ago once DS was born and my attacks where coming on so badly that it was effecting my job and motherly duties... My insurance does not cover it, however since there has been more research since then I'm sure that they may now... I need to look into it. However, I don't know if I would have it done. Topamax really was a godsend drug for me... even though I am more natural minded. I wasn't living without it...  the headaches were effecting my quality of life.
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Loading the player...
  • I get Botox- but not for migraines. Nothing concrete to back this up- but I could swear I do get fewer tension headaches. It lifts/freezes muscles. I only get forehead area- it runs about $12 per ((cc?)). I get about 20 units. I would only go to a dermatologist --- not a cosmetic clinic. Of course- I doubt u can get it done while KU. Going to have to wait till after baby comes.
    photo 4ed88b49-c7fa-41ac-98ae-1e6d1a108e02.jpg 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersimage
  • Yes insurance will cover it if you have tried the "standard" migraine treatments and you do not see relief and have severe migraines for a certain number of days a month. My neurologist does it and we were about to go that route but the chiropractor worked wonders and I was able to go off all my migraine meds. He also won't do it while pregnant or breast feeding.

• I have frequent migraines, usually take topamax, inderal and elavil for prevention. I have looked into it as a possibility to not take as many medicines everyday. Would only do it if insurance covered it. I would also be nervous of side effects, but it may be worth a shot for some.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • My boss gets 32 Botox injections every couple months or something and swears by it. She hasn't had a migraine since she's started the treatment.
    BabyName Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"