Health & Exercise

How to Make Time?

So I have been struggling with having time to work out.  I would like to do 30 minutes to an hour of cardio about 4 times a week but I can't seem to ever have time to do it.  I know most people say get up early and work out then but I work early in the morning (I wake up at 3:45) and have tried waking up earlier but after about a week I couldn't make myself get up at 3 in the morning to exercise.

My son is 8 months old and only keeps himself occupied for about 15 minutes at a time before I need to change what he is doing and my husband works 8-5 so if I work out once he gets home then it cuts into family time because I have to go to bed at 9:30.  Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?  I would really love to lose some of the baby weight but it just seems impossible at the moment.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How to Make Time?

• It sounds like early in the morning won't work for you as it does for others. If you are up at 3:45 already, does that mean your work day ends earlier than your husband's? If so, I'd try to pack a gym bag or your workout clothes and get 30 minutes of cardio in immediately after work. Is your son in daycare while you and your H are at work? If so, is there a way you can take that 30 minutes before picking him up? If not, can you use the first thirty minutes you arrive home with him to go for a walk with him in a stroller? That walk can transition into a slow jog and then eventually a run as you move forward in your cardio health.

Thirty minutes isn't much time when it comes to the grand scheme of things, and carving it out for you so you can be healthier and a better you may be tough but will be totally worth it. Use it as a time to be with your son if he's okay in the stroller. If not, leave your husband for some quality time with his son while you go for thirty minutes for YOU time. Although it might take a bit away from family time, you could do that twice during the week and then twice on the weekend without sacrificing too much!

Obviously, no one knows your schedule or timeline as well as you do, and it sounds like you really need to just make the decision to do it. I hope your husband is on board with what you decide. In the end, it's about your health and being a better you for your family. Good luck!

• Can you work out after he goes to bed. As soon as my kids are in their crib I have my sneakers on and I get my butt moving. Sure, there might be dishes to clean up or toys laying around. Working out is a priority to me. Can you throw a quick DVD in at home to do at night?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I do get off earlier then H, at 1:30 but we don't do daycare, have we 2 people that we use on a regular basis (my SIL and a good friend) so I can't really leave him there longer.  But the walking with him could be a good option if anything to just get started.

I would like to use DVDs but I am not sure which ones to get.  I like dance stuff (Zumba etc) and yoga (which I am not sure counts as cardio or not) but I don't want to spend the money on one and then hate it. 

• @snufflyfluffy, there are some video recs in threads on this board, so I'd search there first. As for yoga, it is not geared toward cardio as most understand the term. There are, however, many health benefits to doing it, so it doesn't mean it's not worth looking into.

Another idea to keep tabs on family time is to get your H involved in the walks, too. DH and I go on walks each night with our pup and will continue to do so when LO arrives. This is a really good time for us to get out and move while not being distracted by our technology (emails, phones, etc.). It could stand to improve the quality of your family time rather than encroach on it!

• I can totally agree with you that making time for working out can be tough. Working out is important to DH and I, as well as family time. DH and I always have to re-adjust our workout times since his schedule changes weekly (he's a police officer). We live in a small town and there isn't a gym here that has daycare so right now I'm forced to work out at home. DH works out on the marine base here either before or after work....right now he's just running outside as he is on the mid shift so he doesn't want to take any time away from us as he needs to. I either workout before he leaves (if he's on mids or nights) and when he works days, I do it when he gets home. I do Insanity and yes it does suck when I want nothing more than to relax with DH when he gets home, but working out is important to me! I agree with pp and get your H involved! Either have him get involved in your walks or try to do a DVD together once your LO goes down for bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you do the hotter forms of yoga like vinyasa or asthanga, I would consider that cardio because your heart rate stays up and I sweat more doing those classes than running.  i love yoga, so I'm partial.
  • Thank you everyone for the ideas, I am going to try to get H involved with walks and try to do a video at least a couple times a week after LO goes to sleep.  Wish me luck :)
  • You can do it! The most important thing is making the time and commitment! I often have to take DS in the jogger on my walks/runs..and recently DH has been joining us! Great way to get family time AND exercise!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • thegirljackthegirljack member
    edited August 2013
    Foutzie44 said:

You can do it! The most important thing is making the time and commitment! I often have to take DS in the jogger on my walks/runs..and recently DH has been joining us! Great way to get family time AND exercise!

I agree. Get yourself a jogger and take dh with you. With dd1 my dh and I ran numerous 5k all together and now she asked the other day if she could run in a race! She is only 3 but its a great hobby to start with her.

@foutzie44 Are you a PSU fan, alum or local?
  • Agree with all PP ideas.

Exercising at lunch, before picking baby up from daycare, jogging with baby in stroller or after bed are all strategies I have used when mornings wouldn't work. Running is a very time effective workout if that's something you enjoy.

You should for sure plan your weekend days to exercise if you have help and more time and then 1-2 week days you take off which should make scheduling workouts easier. I also did that for a while.
  • I work out with my husband when possible, I also hope to run with my child once she's old enough (I'm still pregnant!) so I got a jogging stroller. Check your local gyms for daycare options, too; the YMCA here has free daycare for up to 2 hours if the child is at least 6 weeks old and a local community college also has free daycare for gym users. Of course I say "free", but you have to buy the memberships which can get costly. Family packages are sometimes cheaper if your husband is interested in a gym membership, and some places (like the YMCA) offer discounts if you make under a certain amount in household income. 
  • My Golds gym membership was only $20 a month and included free childcare, up to 2 hours a day. My kids loved going! I would see about joining a local gym with childcare
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"