Postpartum Depression

Bipolar disorder?

Anyone have bipolar? Breastfeeding? What meds are you on??
Trenton Elijah born three weeks early due to pre-e on April 14, 2011. Weighing 6lbs 6.3oz, 18 inches long.

Cameron Jacob (CJ) came early @ 25w4d on November 16, 2012 due to placenta abruption and incompetent cervix . Weighing 1lb 15.5oz, 14 inches long. 

Expecting a winter baby. Stay put LO!

Re: Bipolar disorder?

• I just copied and pasted this from a previous post I responded to.

My doc took me off my meds slowly 4 months prior to TTC then wanted me off them completely before TTC.  I was monitored closely.

Thankfully we got pregnant our f

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went off of my meds a few days before I took a HPT...surprise! I read that someone else on here with bp said she was the happiest she felt on no meds being pregnant. I have to agree! Really can't believe how many overall great days I've had and being ab
    imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I've been on Lamictal for about 5 years for bipolar disorder. Before trying to become pregnant, I consulted a psychiatrist who specializes in pregnancy/new moms. She advised me to stay on my meds.

Lamictal's risk to the baby is less than the risk of me being off meds (this could be different for every mom-to-be; consider your particular situation). She explained that my stress level causes hormonal shifts that directly affect the baby and avoiding a major depression is more important than avoiding the minor/unsubstantiated risks to the baby.

I think that Lamictal is the only bipolar med that is considered 'safe' for pregnancy, but since it works so well, I'm not sure why everyone bipolar shouldn't already be on it. The one downfall is that the risk during breastfeeding is pretty high, so I may choose not to breastfeed.

The risk of post-partum depression is significantly higher for women with bipolar and other mental issues.

I would highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist specializing in pregnancies about your condition and consider weighing your needs with the risks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"