Homeschooling

Stupid complaint

I am making my comment here because I cannot say it to anyone else. But there is someone on a forum that has nothing to do with schooling and if I read this one person say she homeschools one more time I am going to lose it on her. I always thought it was weird she said they homeschool because her only kid just turned five. I understand if she said she was going to homeschool and is homeschooling preschool. So she just made a comment that her kid is starting school. Um if your kid is starting public school then why where you always making it sound like you were a homeschooler and she did not say she changed her mind and is going to try school. I just find it weird and just think that she choose not to send her kid to preschool.

Stupid vent over. And yes, I am not a homeschooler but am intrigued.
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Stupid complaint

• I think that as preschool is becoming more and more popular and almost necessary in order to assimilate into full-day public school kindergarten (I've even heard mention on forums of creating mandatory public school preschools), parents are starting to view preschool as something they have to homeschool - TOT school.  The irony of it is that raising a toddler, by its very nature, is homeschooling without even having to try, because you are always teaching and they are always learning.  It's just that the learning is usually informal and more about how to live - how to share, how to take care of yourself, how the world works, etc.  But since preschools are now teaching the alphabet and numbers and foreign languages and music and everything else at younger ages, parents who choose not to put their children in a preschool feel pressure to do formal work in order to keep up.  Therefore, they call themselves homeschoolers.

Technically, these parents are homeschoolers, because they are doing the teaching that the majority of parents are outsourcing all on their own.  I really don't have a problem with them calling it homeschooling.  It's not like all of a sudden when your child is kindergarten age you have the right to use the term.  And in fact, all parents are homeschoolers in a way, or at least they should be.  Even parents who send their children to public school are teachers when their children are at home and hopefully are supplementing where they find the public schools are lacking.

• Loading the player...
  • DC - I've heard it from people too.  Well, now people just say negative things because we are homeschooling for "real school", but when all of my kids were under compulsory school-age I would get people saying that they couldn't believe my kids weren't in preschool.

"How will they learn how to share?"  Ummmmm.........from me, my husband, and their siblings.

"How will they learn how to sit still and raise their hand when asked a question?  They need to know this for school." I didn't realize it was necessary to train a two year old to do this. 

"How will they learn how to stand in a line?"  Perhaps they'll figure it out when they watch Mommy do it at the grocery store or bank.

I was always lucky to have the food allergy excuse.  When people learned my oldest had anaphylactic food allergies it was like I got a Get Out of Jail Free Card and they left me alone.  lol

• DS is only 7 months and I consider us to be homeschoolers now.

Given that we are unschooling, what we are doing with him now is exactly what we will continue to do indefinitely; nothing will magically change when he hits "school age."

To be fair, I understand that this doesn't apply to a more traditionally homeschooling family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • And this is why I love this board.  Totally agree with everyone's comments. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Hey, I just popped back over here so I wanted to add that I totally understand that you can homeschool preschool.  My beef with this person was that they went on and on that they were a homeschooler and then a week or less later said they were enrolling their child in preschool  Plans change so she might have wanted to homeschool and then a perfect school situation dropped in her lap but I find it weird for someone to say they homschool in one post and then that their child is starting public school in the next.

I will admit someone unrelated to my complaint though that until a child is of elementary school are I do not really think of someone as homeschooling just because like Fredalina said above, preschool is not required so if you do it or not and choose to teach them at home it is still PRE-school.  I understand the argument that we are all homeschoolers in a sense because we teach our kids but still.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • My issue is when bmb totally attack homeschooling with out doing any research on it. They base their opinion off of that one family that everyone knows... Yet statistically wise homeschooling continues to outrank public schooling. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited September 2013
    My issue is when bmb totally attack homeschooling with out doing any research on it. They base their opinion off of that one family that everyone knows... Yet statistically wise homeschooling continues to outrank public schooling. 
    Yeah.  You just can't argue with those people.  Everyone knows someone who was the socially awkward homeschool kid that must be how all of them are going to turn out.  Or everyone knows the lazy homeschool parent that lets their kid run around in the yard all day and can't read at age 10, so all homeschool parents must be lazy.  I hate the generalizations.

Listen, I know some pretty socially awkward public-schooled kids, some really unintelligent public school teachers, and some extremely lazy and uninvolved public school parents.  I realize they don't represent everyone involved in public school.  Why can't people see that the same is true for homeschoolers?

• I had a friend who had her children enrolled in a private school, but told people she was a homeschooler.  Her reasoning was she wanted to homeschool and provided her children with educational toys so she was homeschooling.  She no longer wanted to be friends when I wouldn't lie for her to people she had told this lie.
  • samiaf said:
    I had a friend who had her children enrolled in a private school, but told people she was a homeschooler.  Her reasoning was she wanted to homeschool and provided her children with educational toys so she was homeschooling.  She no longer wanted to be friends when I wouldn't lie for her to people she had told this lie.
    Was it a non-chartered school?  We have several around here that many homeschoolers enroll their kids in for part of the day and then homeschool for the other subjects.  They are mostly schools affiliated with churches. 

If not, I don't understand why she would want to say she's a homeschooler?  Does she feel like it puts her in some club?  IME telling people only causes controversy, which is why I rarely even bring it up with people IRL.  I don't have the energy for the socialization debate.

•     IME telling people only causes controversy, which is why I rarely even bring it up with people IRL.  I don't have the energy for the socialization debate.

Same here.  If strangers ask about schooling while we're out in public, I usually just make quick conversation and avoid discussing it.  It's not worth getting into it with perfect strangers in the grocery store.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"