May 2013 Moms
Options

Milk storage - WWYD

I pulled some frozen breast milk out of the freezer (thawed it in the fridge) Thursday for the girls to eat while I was at work Friday. It wasn't fully thawed until Friday. They didn't eat one bag containing a few ounces. I have nursed them all weekend so it's still in the fridge. I've read that thawed frozen milk is only good for 24 hours but my little stash is precious and I hate to dump anything. If it smelled and tasted OK would you use it Monday morning? I'm guessing I'm going to have to dump it. :(
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Milk storage - WWYD

• Options
    I would dump it :(. Thawed milk should be used with 24 hours. I'm sorry. I know how much every little bit means!
  • Options
    I have heard the 24 hour thing, too. However, BM is so precious that if it smells okay I'd probably use it.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    beaubecca said:
    I thought it ws good for up to 5 or 6 days if refrigerated? Thats the rule we used and never had an issue.
    5 or 6 days after thawing it? I know it's fine to use fresh milk that has been in the fridge for up to 8 days or so, but I think if it has already been frozen and thawed, the timeline is shorter...?
  • Options
    The time frame is shorter after its been frozen, I heard 24 hours from it being 100% thawed. Keep in mind that milk is still considered frozen if there are any ice crystals in it. Was it fully thawed on Friday? It always took mine a couple days in the fridge to thaw. If it were me, I'd smell and taste it tomorrow morning and if there was nothing funny about it, I'd probably give it to my LO. You'll know if it's bad milk - there's definitely a smell and tastes horrible. (This happened to us once - thankfully I tested it before I gave her that bottle!)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PP. I would use it tonight if it smelled OK and then pump new milk from the skipped feeding to use tomorrow. I also agree that it's 24 hours from when the last crystals thaw...so yor probably close to within the 24 hours of that if you feed it for the next feeding.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    sarajim06 said:

I would dump it :(. Thawed milk should be used with 24 hours. I'm sorry. I know how much every little bit means!

This. Just in case some changes occur that we can't smell or taste.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. Good idea to use it tonight and pump to replace it, but... I tasted it and it was bad, so I dumped it. After working so hard to get formula-free and build up a little stash, that HURT! Oh well, now I know what to do next time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"