August 2012 Moms
Options

Grandparents help. WWA12D?

Help! DH posted a video of DD walking on Facebook yesterday. She just started this week. I shared it to my page thinking that my parents would see it that way.

Well my brother just called. He mentioned the video, asked if they had seen it, and they can't see it cause they're not friends with DH. Apparently my folks freaked out, said some stuff about how we purposely exclude them and hung up on my brother. Then he called me to tell me what happened.

WWYD next?

My mom is a chronic overreacter. She also thinks my H doesn't like her, which isn't true. I dont know what my dad thinks - he never talks in these situations. I have fixed the privacy settings on the video. I want to call them but I also want them to calm down before we talk so my mom doesn't say needlessly mean things to me.

Call? Wait? My folks and I have a history of poor communicating. I don't want to make it worse but I'm not sure which move will help.
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Grandparents help. WWA12D?

• Options
    They could have friended YH, so some of that is on them. You could say he forgot to tag you, I guess. It sounds like the childish jealousy my parents get hung up in and I try not to care that much. I'm not there to hold their hands and repeatedly say how much more I like them than my ILs. 
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    I'd wait. They need to get over it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is totally silly but we live far away and they're not as involved as they'd like to be and I seem to be constantly doing things that make them feel excluded! It's not on purpose! Am I supposed to call on my way out to door to work to say "hey, first steps! There will be a video once I get To my desk and finish my morning emails!"

Ugh I feel like such a crappy daughter.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    shakinros said:

It is totally silly but we live far away and they're not as involved as they'd like to be and I seem to be constantly doing things that make them feel excluded! It's not on purpose! Am I supposed to call on my way out to door to work to say "hey, first steps! There will be a video once I get To my desk and finish my morning emails!"

Ugh I feel like such a crappy daughter.

My parents give me guilt that my ILs have visited us here. They could visit too. We have the space. I am not going to send them a letterpress invitation, which is what my Mom wants. I said they could visit any time. It's not my fault they don't do it.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    Guilt sucks but it's not your job to give them a play by play of your LOs life. The first steps/words/everything are for you and your H and they should not assume to be told as things are happening. It's nice info to share since they are the grandparents but they don't have to act all wounded if they don't hear right away.

Do they call? email? can you guys skype since you live far away? Maybe set up a Skype time every month or every other week?

They could have friended your H on FB so that's really on them not you.

I can't stand when adults act like bratty kids throwing a tantrum.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Give them time. My parents do this kind of crap all the time. You didn't do anything wrong, so you don't deserve the inevitable attack that would ensue from calling right away.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"