Nurseries and Baby Gear

RnP Sleeper

I had the Rock n Play sleeper on our registry and someone bought it.  I'm thrilled bc everyone has recommended this product.  My plan is to use it in our bedroom for the first couple of months or so instead of a bassinet.  So question....is this safe for overnight use?  Or would it be better to get something where she could lie flat like the bassinet?

Re: RnP Sleeper

• You can use it overnight but I would try a bassinet first.  It's not fun breaking your child of the habit of sleeping in the RNP and I would only do it if your child with otherwise not sleep well.  Just my personal opinion because I am dealing with this now with DS!  I still love the RNP but I wish I had a baby who didn't need to feel enclosed to sleep!  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I agree that ideally a flat surface is better for sleeping but if your baby hates sleep or has reflux or whatever, you may choose to do an incline.  The RNP is great for that and it's also really nice for travel.  I put a little toy bar on our RNP and we use it outside for DS when we are hanging in the backyard.  It's just super handy.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • It is fine.  Just make sure you are not always laying dc's head the same direction to help avoid flat spots.  My pedi actually endorsed them since dd had reflux.  It was great for her.  I did not have any of the "transition" problems that get mentioned.  DD hated our bassinet and the RNP was a heck of a lot more portable to move around the house or to our friends' houses.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• My son slept in his for months at my bedside. (We both slept better being near one another.) He had reflux, so it was nice that he was on an incline. When he got too big, I transitioned him to his PnP, then finally to the crib without any trouble.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DD slept in it until she was 4 months old because she had reflux.  We tried a bassinet first and I recommend doing so because transitioning her to the crib was horrible.  Even though her reflux was under control she was so used to sleeping on an incline that we really struggled to get her to sleep flat.  But, for those first 4 months the RNP was a life saver and we will use it again if future kids have reflux, even knowing what a pain it was to transition.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used ours overnight for almost 6 months.  DD had reflux so it was great to have her sleep on an incline. 
  • teachergal05teachergal05 member
    edited August 2013
    We loved ours. DD slept in it at night for about three months and had no trouble transitioning to her crib.

Married 7.12.08 | Our first blessing arrived 7.19.12 | #1's BFP Chart  
    Expecting our second little blessing 1.6.15 | #2's BFP Chart

BabyFruit Ticker
  •  Babies should sleep flat because in an inclined position because it can restrict their breathing. Since a babies breathing naturally slows during sleep, restricting their breathing more by putting them in a reclined position becomes even more dangerous and at risk of stopping breathing. I know a lot of people use it because of reflux, but I'd consult with your pediatrician before doing this.
    I realize many babies sleep successful in these but I wouldn't want to take the chance.
    The Tiny Love 3-in-1 Rocker has reclined positions but then you can adjust it to lie flat if they fall asleep in it. You may want to check that out.
  • We kept our PnP downstairs for napping and the RnP in our room for overnight sleeping for the first few months.  We did not have an issue transitioning DD to her crib overnight.

My DD didn't have reflux but my friend's DD did and the RnP worked wonders for them once they switched to it.
  • I have also been debating what I should get. Most everyone loves the RNP but there are some valid concerns that come with it, which is why I was SUPER excited when I found that Fisher Price now has a RNP bassinet!!! It is the same base as the original RNP but instead of the inclined seat it is a bassinet! Here's a link
     https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-rock-n-play-bassinet-rainforest-friends/-/A-14619159?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|14619159&CPNG=Baby&kpid=14619159&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14619159&gclid=CPmk0YuPy7kCFZA-MgodOWgAHQ

I'm leaning towards the bassinet vs the original RNP because of the concerns about the incline and the effects of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"