Dads & Dads-to-be

Annoying Advice From People?

LokiFollowerLokiFollower member
edited September 2013 in Dads & Dads-to-be
Do any of you get weird advice from people about being a parent? Some lady saw me and my gf out for a walk yesterday after gf got off work and she told my gf (who works with children for a living) that you should throw cold water on it's face when crying and they will learn not to cry. What my gf asked her wasn't as mean as I thought she would have said (my gf can have a temper). She asked the lady if she threw cold water on the ladies face would she stop talking. The lady huffed at us and walked back into her house. When we got home she laughed at how absurd the advice was but at the time it made her mad. Like in my last post another piece of advice was from my mother and it was that pregnant woman can't have chocolate because it will give our baby ADHD/ADD. Does this happen to anyone else and if so what kind of advice have you gotten.
Lilypie - (QYVI)
Daisypath - (cbj9)

Re: Annoying Advice From People?

• Sandy CohenSandy Cohen member
    edited September 2013
    Your gf's response is great.

People are attracted to pregnant women. It makes them approachable. Be ready for more attention and advice. I'm sure most of them have good intentions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I avoid people so that I don't have to engage in small talk.  If someone went out of their way to impart some bullshit advice like that I would probably laugh in their face.

• Loading the player...

• polooo26 said:

Don't get your kid vascinated unless you want them to get down syndrome! Haven't head it personally, but there are some nutty people that believe this.

Also, I would have loved to see that exchange between your gf and that lady. I wouldn't have the balls to say it. I probably would have just ignored it or said ok.

Most people just tell me to enjoy it because it goes by quick. Or that my life is now over. Nothing that weird though.

I was all for ignoring the lady but my gf was not going for it (I even tried bribing her)
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • I think that lady may have babies confused with cats.

But maybe her cats are her babies.
  • LokiFollowerLokiFollower member
    edited September 2013
    I think that lady may have babies confused with cats. But maybe her cats are her babies.
    Either way I feel bad for whoever that lady sprayed in the face with cold water. Also (because my gf loves cats and would be mad if I didn't put this part in here) spraying cats in the face doesn't work all the time like with our cats they didn't mind the water
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Prime said:
    That's great.  I always hope that I'll have the guts to say something like that, but I know I wouldn't.

A friend of ours got tired of strangers touching her belly when she was pregnant.  She just started rubbing their stomach when they touched hers and said "Oh I'm sorry. I thought this was socially acceptable now."
    I fear the day my gf's bump is more noticeable and people do that to her and what she'll do to them
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Prime said:
    That's great.  I always hope that I'll have the guts to say something like that, but I know I wouldn't.

A friend of ours got tired of strangers touching her belly when she was pregnant.  She just started rubbing their stomach when they touched hers and said "Oh I'm sorry. I thought this was socially acceptable now."
    I fear the day my gf's bump is more noticeable and people do that to her and what she'll do to them
    When you see someone coming up to her with that look in their eye of "I am totally going to rub her stomach," just start thrashing about and scream that bees are attacking you...

Works every time

• futant462 said:
    Prime said:

When you see someone coming up to her with that look in their eye of "I am totally going to rub her stomach," just start thrashing about and scream that bees are attacking you...

Works every time
    But what if that doesn't work?
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • What part of "works every time" does not compute?

• futant462 said:

What part of "works every time" does not compute?

• futant462 said:
    Well what if we are in a store or something that doesn't have bees or it's in the winter?
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • futant462 said:
    Well what if we are in a store or something that doesn't have bees or it's in the winter?
    This method is infallable.  In a store, winter, on Mars.  No one is immune to the threat of a bee attack.

• Unfortunately, your wife being pregnant in public somehow gives people a subliminal message to give random pieces of advice... some good, some not so good. We got people saying different things, we mostly just said thank you and went on our way but we never got completely absurd advice either.  What sucks is, when the kid is born, it doesn't stop necessarily.  People will still feel the need to comment or give advice when you didn't ask for it.

I'm sure when we go for #3 and have a 5 year old, a 3 year old and an infant we'll get "You sure have your hands full" a bunch...
  • futant462 said:
    futant462 said:
    This method is infallable.  In a store, winter, on Mars.  No one is immune to the threat of a bee attack.
    True I'll keep this in mind
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • LokiFollowerLokiFollower member
    edited September 2013
    I don't think my gf should go in public anymore at least not with me. We went grocery shopping and we were in the aisle that has all the hair care products and this guy comes by with his wife and the guy is ignoring us but the lady looks at us and she told my gf that when our baby is born and if their ears stick out to tape them back. Now as we know about my gf is that she has responses to people that aren't generally nice so she looked at the lady and smiled politely and asked if she taped the ladies nose back would it stay out of other people's business (we had to leave the aisle while the lady was speechless and the ladies husband was laughing). I am done taking my gf into public until after LO is born! Done! I also tried the whole bee thing and she gave me the evilest look before replying to the lady.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Sandy CohenSandy Cohen member
    edited September 2013
    Your gf is awesome
  • For some reason I usually don't have this issue.  I am wonder if it is because I am 5' 10" and over 250#.  I also tend to give off the aura of don't come near me.  When ever we go out people tend to avoid my wife also.

Most of the comments that I get since my LO looks exactly like me now is that our baby pictures should be identical.  I was very light, almost pure white hair during the summers as a child and slowly over the last 40+ years have been going more dishwater blond.  For some reason people take offense when I point out that our baby pictures will not look identical.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Your gf is awesome
    Yeah she is still can't take her out into public though without her talking back to someone
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Yeah, your gf is awesome. Great comebacks. Our biggest problem has been since our daughter was born, with people wanting to touch her, which is a common issue I'm told.  I've basically turned into a complete dick about it. I've been told that when someone approaches you can hold out your baby's foot and people will take it as a sign to touch the foot instead of the kid's paws, but I just tell people to step off and not to touch anything.
  • bklyndad said:
    Yeah, your gf is awesome. Great comebacks. Our biggest problem has been since our daughter was born, with people wanting to touch her, which is a common issue I'm told.  I've basically turned into a complete dick about it. I've been told that when someone approaches you can hold out your baby's foot and people will take it as a sign to touch the foot instead of the kid's paws, but I just tell people to step off and not to touch anything.
    I've heard that but apparently from what I've heard they don't listen and just touch the baby anyway. I'll probably act like that if people touch our LO to much
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • So some new advice that I heard from my sister (who is only 14 and has no experience with kids) is that you shouldn't drink orange juice when pregnant because it will get you high and make the baby's intelligence go down the more you drink it. She watched a Glee episode on Netflix and they took vitamin D not orange juice. Thank gosh she didn't say this in front of my gf otherwise she would have said something
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • So some new advice that I heard from my sister (who is only 14 and has no experience with kids) is that you shouldn't drink orange juice when pregnant because it will get you high and make the baby's intelligence go down the more you drink it. She watched a Glee episode on Netflix and they took vitamin D not orange juice. Thank gosh she didn't say this in front of my gf otherwise she would have said something
    Your sister is on my list. Hi I'm this guy's gf by the way. BTW Hun your sister is 15 remember we went to her birthday party on Wednesday
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (CRWn)
    Your sister is on my list. Hi I'm this guy's gf by the way. BTW Hun your sister is 15 remember we went to her birthday party on Wednesday
    Oh yeah she is fifteen now
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Something about me been large and scary, I don't have people that wanted to come up and hold or touch my son when he was a baby.  MW can put out the don't mess vibe also so seem not to have the issues of people invading our space without asking.

We are also home bodies or we go out hiking on trails away from people so we minimize our socialize to family and very close friends.

• Fuck socializing

• futant462 said:
    Fuck socializing
    Exactly!
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • @polooo26 it is easy, I was going through a divorce and got a fall semester work study job at the local engineering library while finishing up my mechanical engineering degree.  She was the one that trained me.  It took me almost a year to get her to start dating me full time.  Everyone around us knew that we would get together.

• We went grocery shopping and we were in the aisle that has all the hair care products and this guy comes by with his wife and the guy is ignoring us but the lady looks at us and she told my gf that when our baby is born and if their ears stick out to tape them back.
    I was just lurking this board showing my DH that he should join, and you don't only talk about babies, when we came across this post. My DH nearly died laughing at this comment, because it actually works. My mother did it to me when I was a baby. She suggests using a bandaid, rather than tape, because it sticks better, and is easier for the baby's skin.
    Band-aids sound a lot better than tape. Thanks I'll let my gf know
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • Me? Oh yeah forgot that part sorry of the story. My gf's ears (and she is self-conscious about them and usually wears her hair down because of them) stick out but you can barely tell but they lady said if our LO's ears stick out as much as my gf's do that we should tape them back
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"