Natural Birth
Options

Anyone taking calcium to reduce labor pain?

I've recently read a few things here and there about taking a cal/magnesium supplement in 3rd trimester to ideally reduce pain in labor.  I can't find a whole lot of info about it but it sure sounds nice.  Is anyone doing this or heard about it? 

Re: Anyone taking calcium to reduce labor pain?

• Options

Hadn't heard anything about that but it should be great for the leg cramps.

• Options
    Well, I didn't take magnesium in my last pregnancy but I was downing Tums like they were my favorite candy and I don't really feel like that influenced my experience of labor. Of course, who knows what it would have been like without the Tums, but that's always the problem isn't it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My MW has me on 4 cal/mag pills per day, taken at bedtime.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't really know how much that will help. There are so many other ways to reduce labor pains. Even though I have also heard about the calcium pills.
  • Options
    I really can't see it making any difference.
  • Options
    I hadn't heard of these for pain, but I took them regularly from end of second tri on for a heart irregularity. Can't say it did anything for pain. Or if it did, birthing without it might have just killed me :)
  • Options
    My midwives are having me take extra calcium/magnesium supplements. Whether it will actually help with the pain or not, who knows. But calcium and magnesium are two important minerals that are beneficial to and usually lacking in pregnant/nursing women, so I figure it doesn't hurt to take them either way. Talk to your health care provider first before adding any extra supplements. You should be fine, but it's always a good idea to check :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"