Parenting after 35
Options

had tubal ligation?

I was trying to find the right board to post this on. I figured I'm most likely to find moms that are done having kids in the over 35 group. I'm in my 3rd tri of my 3rd pregnancy and we're looking at BC options. We both know a vasectomy is probably the best, quickest & cheapest choice, but DH doesn't want to do it. That's kinda how we ended up with baby #3. Anyhow, we really are done having kids now. More to the point, I'm done having kids. So I'm thinking of tubal ligation and talked to MW about it. She referred me to OB for a consult because she said they have to make sure I'm a candidate for it and certain complications may prevent me getting one. Really? I had no idea. She gave me a pamphlet for Essure and sent me on my way. Well I have heard bad things about Essure already. And I tried an IUD (Mirena) after my first DS. In the words of my OB, my uterus rejected the IUD. I had a horrible experience and had to have it taken out after 6 months. So don't think I want to do Essure. Anyone have a tubal ligation? Did you have the full snip or the clip? Did it take long to recover? Are you happy with the procedure?

Re: had tubal ligation?

• Options
    I'm interested in the answers to this as well since I am planning on a tubal after DS2 is born in October.

I also looked into Essure and there were so many complaints (cramps, weight gain that won't come off, headaches, can actually feel the plugs, etc) and people that want it removed but the only way to remove it is a hysterectomy.  No thanks, don't want to do that if I don't have to.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I just had this done little over a week ago. Had a C-section and the full snip, and haven't felt a thing from it. I had the options of Essure, snip, or clip. I did it all the way and no regrets.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nope. But dh has had 2 vasectomies, he lived!
  • Options

I had a tubal ligation in December 2010, when my son was 17 months old.  It was done in the hospital, but I went home the same day.  I felt really good.  So good, in fact, that I over did it the day after my surgery.  I'd planned to rest the next day, when I realized the error of my ways.  Unfortunately, my parents, who'd come to stay with is to help with LO while I recovered, ended up with the flu the DH, LO and I all had had the prior weekend.  I managed to care for LO until DH was able to come home from work (mid-afternoon).  

Honestly, the worst part were the sores in my mouth from where they'd put the braces they'd put in my mouth (I get canker sores easily from any mistreatment in my mouth).  My belly healed up with relative ease.

Sure, a vasectomy is a less invasive procedure, but if you work it right, you might be able to get a two days of recovery time to relax, read, nap and be on your laptop/iPad.  :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSmudges*Mom:

I had a tubal ligation in December 2010, when my son was 17 months old.  It was done in the hospital, but I went home the same day.  I felt really good.  So good, in fact, that I over did it the day after my surgery.  I'd planned to rest the next day, when I realized the error of my ways.  Unfortunately, my parents, who'd come to stay with is to help with LO while I recovered, ended up with the flu the DH, LO and I all had had the prior weekend.  I managed to care for LO until DH was able to come home from work (mid-afternoon).  

Honestly, the worst part were the sores in my mouth from where they'd put the braces they'd put in my mouth (I get canker sores easily from any mistreatment in my mouth).  My belly healed up with relative ease.

Sure, a vasectomy is a less invasive procedure, but if you work it right, you might be able to get a two days of recovery time to relax, read, nap and be on your laptop/iPad.  :) 

Thank for the info.  Starting to feel more confident about getting it done. Think this is my best option. 

• Options
    My 2nd was a planned C-Section due to complications with #1 and I had a planned c-section at that time.  Best decision DH and I made.  We knew we were done after #2 and since I was already open, it made perfect sense.  I have never heard of anyone not being able to have a c-section.  I honestly have not noticed anything different with my cycles or anything.  Love that we never have to think about it.  Had I not had a c-section, DH would have gotten snipped though.  The procedure for a man is way less intrusive than for a women so unless you are having a c-section, I would push your DH big time.  He needs to be a man about this and just do it.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Hey, just had it done on Thursday, it was a little scary going in but no regrets! A;little sore tummy and minor bleeding but headed to work. Felt decent the next day, but tired the day of. Id say sitting at the hospital waiting for my turn was the worst part! Im done!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

LOL! My hubby will be joining the 2-time vasectomy club, too! I am pregnant after he had his 10 years ago and so we are both getting snipped this time!
  • Options
    Both of my sisters have had it done. One during a c-section and the other as out patient surgery. The one with a c-section said she didn't feel any differently than previous c-sections. The out patient one was a little sore but nothing too bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am in the same situation. I am having my 3rd DS now, who was not quite planed. I have made it very clear that if for any reason I need to have a c-section those tubes are tied!!
  • Options
    I had a c-section with DD #2.  She was breach.  We had decided to have my tubes tied if i would need a c/s. I figured - while you're in there...  My recovery was hard.  I had more pain from the tubal than the c/s.  It took about 2 days to get my pain management under control.  I am one of the exceptions to the norm.  The Dr and nurses did say that they have had a few people that had pain from the tubal - but it is not common.  Guess I was just special that way.   Good luck. 

___________________________________________________________________ Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    LOL! My hubby will be joining the 2-time vasectomy club, too! I am pregnant after he had his 10 years ago and so we are both getting snipped this time!
    Ours wasn't quite that far between, he had his when K was 2 weeks old, S is 2 1/2 years younger. It grew back, what can you do! Tubals aren't easy to get here anymore and they delisted them, it's totally OOP. I'm looking at ablation instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"