Minnesota Babies

Circumsism in hospital?

Can you get your son circumcisized in the hospital? My insurance will not cover it and I heard its $300?!

Re: Circumsism in hospital?

• I haven't really looked into it yet but I'm not sure where else you would go for that?  Also, as far as medical bills go $300 sounds cheap to me.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • From what I understand, having a procedure done in a clinic usually costs less than having it done in a hospital. We had it done in the clinic a week after our son was born, and I think the overall bill was $500-$600 and we were just subject to the office visit copay. It would probably help to call both the hospital and clinic to compare costs before deciding. I agree that $300 seems pretty cheap for circumcision.
  • Loading the player...
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    edited September 2013

It's the same pretty much no matter where you go, and no, it isn't covered by insurance...  Hindsight 20/20, I'd have saved the $300 given what I learned later (all of the generations of men on my side except for one weren't, and none ever had any problems/issues, why this discussion couldn't have happened before it was done - would have changed my thought on the subject because I thought it was a religion thing, turns out not as much as we were led to believe..)...  If you're going to spend the money on it, have it done by a Ped that you trust, not the random Ped who happens to be stuck working that shift.  It's going to be in that $300 range no matter where you go.  You wouldn't have some random MD do any form of plastic surgery on you without researching them first, put some consideration first in to the MD performing the procedure, not the price tag! 

(P.s. not trying to be snarky, I just wasn't impressed with the "Random Ped who was working that shift" that did DS' at the hospital, it's not like it was a sterile OR/procedure room that they do them in either - hindsight I'd have rather had our Ped. at the clinic take care of the task in the unlikely event we had to make that choice again)..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm with MesmrEwe, definitely research who you choose to have do it, don't just let some random doctor do it.

Although, I would definitely disagree that the price is the same no matter where you go. Unfortunately health care is such a racket, it does pay to shop around a little bit, and it will definitely be cheaper in a clinic and not a hospital. Don't shop around solely on price, make sure whoever you decide has a very good reputation by other medical personnel. If I had a son I would have a pediatric urologist do it. Not that most pediatricians don't do it a lot, it's just a urologist is specialized, and does the revisions when they're not done right the first time. A good question to ask medical personnel is "if you had a son you were having circumcised, who would you bring them to?"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My insurance did cover it in the hospital this past July. But I have heard it is cheaper to do in clinic
  • Depends on where you deliver. Our son was born at UMMC and they do not do it in hospital anymore so we had it done during his 2 week check up. This is how our pediatrician said we needed to do it now. Ours was covered by insurance at the clinic. 
  • I also delivered at Fairview Riverside and they did not perform them in the hospital.  I have a friend that delivered at Woodwinds and they did do them in the hospital - so it depends on where you deliver.   I had it done at the pedi about 2wks later.  However, the pedi did screw up and missed a small section of skin, so we'll likely have to have that corrected.  You may want to look into having it done by a pediatric urologist. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My friend just had a baby boy at Unity Hospital in Fridley (where I'll be delivering too actually, though we're choosing not to circ) and they do the circ right in the hospital, usually the next day after the birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"