Natural Birth

Birthing Center In Network...?

Hey ladies- I am a FTM due October 17th with a little boy. I forget if there is something else I am supposed to do to properly introduce myself... I was wondering if anyone else has experienced roadblocks trying to get a birthing center to be in-network for your insurance. Specifically, is your difficulty  or success with United Healthcare? I found out today that even though there are currently zero in-network birthing centers in my area, I cannot be provided an exception to have the birthing center opened by my in-network MD and midwives be covered in-network. The reason they provided is because there are umpteen hospitals in-network where I can go to deliver. I am trying to see how common of a problem this is for other expecting mothers who wish to deliver in a birthing center. Of course it would be a bonus if anyone has any tips for success in an appeal. Terribly inconvenient that I have to file an appeal which will likely not be addressed before I actually deliver. Regardless, the personal is political; right? So, if there is a fight to take up on behalf of women to have access to the kind of birth they want, I am ready to take up the cause. Thanks, ladies.

Re: Birthing Center In Network...?

• I had to appeal United health care and was successful in getting mine covered as in- network. I made a point of highlighting the diffences in hospitals vs. birth centers and how they provided two different types of care. Once I sent in the appeal, it was easy. They just sent a letter approving it and that was basically it. Also, I looked up our coverage on the website and it clearly stated that birth centers were covered. Maybe check that and include that info in your appeal?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great! I was hoping to find a reason to be optimistic! Do you by any chance still have a copy of the letter you sent that you might be comfortable sharing with me?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"