August 2012 Moms
Options

sample menu

Being a mom of a picky eater, Im wondering if my dd is eating enough each day.  She is a peanut so I find that I stress too much about her food.  i spoke to the pediatrician about it at her 12 month appointment and she stated it simply---3 meals and 2 healthy snacks a day.  But what is a 'meal' for a 13 month old?!

Here is an example of what she is eating each day.  Does it seem like too litte?

8am  6oz WCM 

9am YoBaby Organic Yogurt and dry cheerios

11am 6 oz WCM

12pm-2pm typical nap at daycare

2pm  LUNCH Oatmeal cereal and container of fruit (OR school lunch like grilled cheese sandwich)

3:30 String Cheese as a snack

4:30 6 oz WCM

6:00 DINNER small amount of whatever we are eating plus pouch of fruit/veggies if necessary

8pm 6oz WCM (seems to be elimiating/weening this bottle)

Re: sample menu

• Options
    I always worry about my picky eater getting enough too-she's barely 18 pounds-so on the days she doesn't eat much, I give her a half of a Pediasure mixed with her night time milk, or mix in a pack of Carnation Instant Breakfast (the dr. okayed both.) Also, I find that she eats snacks better than meals, so somedays I just give her a variety of snacks instead of meals, alternating between proteins, veggies, fruits, carbs, etc. I know every kid is different, so not sure of the appetite of your little one, but mine typically eats more food in a day that you listed. If she doesn't seem to want to eat when I offer it, I will wait and offer it again a half hour later and she usually eats it then.
  • Options
    I know every doctor is different, but my ped said he didn't want DD to have more than 18 ounces of WCM because he didn't want her to fill up on it and not eat a lot of food.  Does he have her on 24 ounces of milk for a reason?  Do you think she'd eat more if you cut back on the WCM?  I wish babies were easy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imagethe-dude-with-a-white-russian
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom sent me this website because we have also been wondering about how much DD should be eating. 

995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know every doctor is different, but my ped said he didn't want DD to have more than 18 ounces of WCM because he didn't want her to fill up on it and not eat a lot of food.  Does he have her on 24 ounces of milk for a reason?  Do you think she'd eat more if you cut back on the WCM?  I wish babies were easy.

My thoughts too, especially since she's getting cheese and yogurt. Too much calcium can make one anemic. I feel like Howell has extra hungry days and not so hungry days. I learned he's most amenable at lunch so I use that meal as one to really test new things. I would try adding fruit to breakfast and offer pieces of things more, even if she doesn't eat them. She will warm up to the idea if you always offer it.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    Maizey06 said:
    My mom sent me this website because we have also been wondering about how much DD should be eating. 

This is great!  Thanks for posting this.
    imagethe-dude-with-a-white-russian
  • Options

thanks everyone!

I think I am going to try and cut down on the milk (16-18 oz total) and increase her breakfast and dinner a little (if she will let me). 

The doc did say at her last appoitnment that I could cut down on milk but if she liked it I didn't have to.  You guys are right---she is getting yogurt and cheese every day so thats a lot of dairy!!!

Hopefully She's on board with the new plan LOL

Why is this so difficult? 

• Options

thanks everyone!

I think I am going to try and cut down on the milk (16-18 oz total) and increase her breakfast and dinner a little (if she will let me). 

The doc did say at her last appoitnment that I could cut down on milk but if she liked it I didn't have to.  You guys are right---she is getting yogurt and cheese every day so thats a lot of dairy!!!

Hopefully She's on board with the new plan LOL

Why is this so difficult? 

I know.  Sometimes I miss the days when they were just getting bottles :)
    995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Maybe you could do a snack at 11 instead of milk, since she eats lunch kind of late. I agree with adding a protein or veggie to lunch.

I have always heard that you can't force it, they will eat when they're hungry. I just try to offer a wide variety of foods. If she refuses a meal, I just try again later.
  • Options
    I think if your LO seems happy, then she is getting enough.

One thing we do is give her a small amount of everything so she can get a variety of foods in a meal.  That way, she doesn't fill up on just fruit or just whole grains.  So, at breakfast she might have part of a container of yogurt, 1/3 of a banana, and half a pancake.  (If I gave her the whole yogurt, banana, and pancake, she'd only eat one and then be missing another "food group.")  Lunch might be a bit of shredded chicken, small amounts of 2-3 kinds of vegetables, and half a string cheese.  I find we are able to do more variety that way.
  • Options
    G's pediatrician told me no more than 16oz of WCM a day.

I feed him until he's full. There's never a "set" amount and I feel like that takes the pressure off of me (the pressure I put on myself...). I just have a few options for him, put it all on his tray, and when he's done, he either throws it all on the ground or tries to shove it in my mouth.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    Maizey06 said:

Looking at this, I think my DS eats way more than he should be. Sometimes I think he eats more than I do at dinner! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

G's pediatrician told me no more than 16oz of WCM a day.

I feed him until he's full. There's never a "set" amount and I feel like that takes the pressure off of me (the pressure I put on myself...). I just have a few options for him, put it all on his tray, and when he's done, he either throws it all on the ground or tries to shove it in my mouth.

Samesies. I just throw everything on his tray and let him go to town. He let's me know when he's full or wants more.

Looking at that thing that Maizey posted, I think he eats more than that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Update, we added fruit before the yogurt and she did great. Dinner still seems like not enough. She ate 4 mini ravioli which are very small, half the container of sweet potatoes and a few bites of green beans. Thats it!!! Refused to eat any more. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"