LGBT Parenting

Are you sisters? Anyone else get this?

newmompeanutnewmompeanut member
edited August 2013 in LGBT Parenting
Lately we have been asked constantly if we are sisters!  Although we both have brown hair and green eyes we believe our similarities stop there.  LOL Most of the time we just brush it off as a random comment, but lately we have been getting it almost daily!  We always wonder what people are thinking about two sisters who are holding hands and kissing ;)

Re: Are you sisters? Anyone else get this?

• LOL We get this ALL the time!  I complained about it on an earlier forum.  We're usually only asked by old ladies.  We always say "No, we're not." and then let them form their own judgments.  I worry about having a little one with us and having to explain our family to random strangers.  So annoying.  Sometimes I wish people would mind their own business.
  • We normally get the question when we are out with our LO, N.  I told B that one of these times I'd really like to respond "yes" and then proceed to full on kiss her.  B always just laughs :)  Neither one of us is much for PDA, so it's not going to be happening any time soon, but it would be funny :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, we jokingly call each other "sis" after we get that question.
  • Just about every time A and I are in public we get it at least once. She has started asking if she would do this to her sister and then kissing me.
  • We get twins more than sisters
  • We get it every time we're out too!

It was way worse when K had long hair, but since she cut it people haven't asked as many times per day. LOL

We usually say no and only explain our relationship if they keep guessing, like "Are you sisters?" "No" "Are you cousins?" "No" "Are you just friends?" "We're married." That shuts them up pretty quick :)
    M: 25  DW: 26
    Married 5/31/13
    TTC #1
    Lesbian mamas to our fur babies
    11/13 - Waiting for test results to get the party started!

• We used to get it more often when v had longer hair but now that she has it very short we don't get it that often. Its silly because she is latina and I'm whiter than a white thing.
    IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• It could be worse. We get, "Is this your mom?" Um no. :P
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I get the "Is this your mom?" waaay too much. I just turned 30 and A is 32, but I am starting to go grey and she looks like a 16 year old. Terrible for the self esteem! 
  • We get asked a lot, but I never think anything of it because we do look alike.  But, come to think of it, I never ask a couple of strangers if they are related when I run into them....  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All the time people think we are sisters. I am fair skinned with red hair blus eyes, spouse has brown hair borwn eyes and skin tone much darker. Its very strange how people assume this.

Married in September 2010, started TTC journey November 2012

Me-

7 IUI- 2 CP- 2 BFN

RPL blood work 12/27, showed a balance translocation in chromosome 11;22  

Spouse-

PCOS 4 IUI-4 BFN

New Plan: Reciprocal IVF, me as carrier wife's eggs. Just went through insurance and received partial approval, so my part will go through my IVF benefits and wife's part will be out of pocket. Now just finalizing finance plans to cover the oop costs. Doctors office is in process of moving to a new building so there are no IVF start ups until March/April 2015. 

• I am often more concerned that people are going to assume my sister and I are dating than that A and I are siblings. I feel like because I look "gay" (whatever that means and queer theory aside) people assume that whatever female I am with is my girlfriend. It is embarrassing...

Baby Hayden Frances born 12/20/14 at 11:11 a.m...  Our perfect little miracle.  Here's how we got here:

My lovely wife:

5 IUI's January 2013-June 2013- 3 Cycles with Clomid- BFN

Myself: Genderqueer guy who hopped in the driver's seat of the baby making train

IUI #6- 7/23- Monitored and Trigger on Day 12, with one 16mm follicle and one 18mm follicle- BFN

IUI #7- 8/21- Not monitored, 50mg Clomid- BFN

September and October: Missed Cycles due to vacation and a Half Marathon

IUI #8- Monitored and triggered on day 15, with one 23x18mm follicle- BFN on 11/19/2013

December:  Moved onto to see an RE to make a good plan.

IUI #9- 1/1/2014 Natural Cycle, BFP on 1/15/2014,  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

IUI #10 3/21/2014- Natural Cycle- BFP on 4/1/2014 (please don't be an April Fools.  Beta #1 13dpiui- 48, Beta #2 16dpiui- 416, Beta #3 1018...

1st Ultrasound- 4/22/2014- 6w4d HB- 134!

Check out my Blog at: http://pregnantboithinksoutloud.blogspot.com/ 

• We get twins more than sisters! We get really annoyed by the question but then I feel bad because the person asking didn't know.
  • edited September 2013
  • I don't think people actually think that any of us are sisters...it's a "polite" or "acceptable" way of trying to ask if we're together. 

just my opinion. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    me:33 my wife:32      married in June '12
    LONG road through IF ending in heartbreak and frustration.
    Moving on to Adoption : matched 5/14! 
    Our beautiful son was born August 25, 2014!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• KezziRiv said:
    I don't think people actually think that any of us are sisters...it's a "polite" or "acceptable" way of trying to ask if we're together. 

just my opinion. 
    I never thought of this possibility.  Interesting!  Perhaps we aren't giving people enough credit...
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am often more concerned that people are going to assume my sister and I are dating than that A and I are siblings. I feel like because I look "gay" (whatever that means and queer theory aside) people assume that whatever female I am with is my girlfriend. It is embarrassing...

Um, I am lurking and embarrassingly admit I did that recently! The sisters did not look anything alike and they were both sending one child off to school and I asked who grew up in our neighborhood and did not know they were sisters. I hate that I thought she looked "gay" and I honestly did but honestly even if they were both wearing dresses and stilettos with long hair I would have had the same assumption on the first day of school and living together in their 30s. On the side note I did not think twice about it and would rather assume that way than be shocked that two women might be in a relationship.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • @Littlejen22 - for what it's worth, I appreciate that you're progressive enough to guess a pair of women could be a couple rather than automatically assuming blood relations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"