February 2012 Moms
Options

How do you take care of yourself??

Taking care of myself and making time for myself has been a big goal of mine.  Ever since Timmy turned 1 l felt like it was time for me. 

So I started Weight Watchers back in May and I've dropped 10lbs (10 lbs to go!!).  Anyway I living a new healthy lifestyle (not perfect, I still drink Diet Coke and go to In N Out burger occasionally) and I feel pretty good.  All my clothes are fitting loosely.  And because I didn't fit in them for 2 years it's fun having a brand new (to me) wardrobe.

But I still don't get much alone time except going to the grocery store or my drive home from work.   My husband works 16-17 hour days and that's not going to change any time soon. 

I wanted to get more ideas from other Mom's about how you take care of yourself.  And please feel free to commiserate if you haven't been so great about taking care of yourself.   I fortunately have lost my first 10lbs with WW by diet alone.  I realize if I had the time to work out I'd be at my goal weight by now.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you take care of yourself??

• Options
    I don't take care if myself right now. DH is working two jobs right now so we can get our debt paid off. I knew it would be hard on our little family but I didn't realize how hard it would be on me to not have anything "me" time. I'll be watching this thread for ideas!
  • Options
    I get up at 5 am every morning and exercise... I do not want to, but I feel better after I've exercised so I try to get up when the alarm goes off. My husband is great, so I'll run out for a manicure or pedicure during nap time on the weekends, or just shopping by myself. I try to get me times during nap time ont he weekends usually- sometimes this is cleaning the house, which can be equally enjoyable. :) 
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Now that DH works what is essentially 2nd shift, I get "me time" 5 days a week for about 2 and a half hours after Addy goes to bed. Granted it's at home and I may be cleaning or something un-fun but at least it's alone time which I crave as a SAHM. I don't like that DH has to work this shift because it messes with our time as a couple (we get very little alone time together now during the week) but whenever it changes one day I will probably end up missing this time I get to do what I want at home. Sometimes I do fun stuff, like Bump. ;) I get basically zero me time away from home. I literally can't remember the last time, but it has happened at some point. 
  • Options
    I need to do a better job at finding 'me' time. Tonight my me time was going to the drug store with Gabe (since I'm not a single mama, it's just he and I). I got some nice smelling shampoo and had a bath after he went to bed. Now I'm in bed bumping :).

I want to follow you in your weight loss goal. I've been eating too much out of boredom, I think from being alone so often. But you've inspired me to go back to WW. Way to go with the 10lbs girl. My ex takes Gabe on Wednesday evenings so I'd like to join a gym and go, but for one night a week it seems like a lot of money.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP # 1 - June 2nd, 2011 - EDD Feb 5, 2012 Birthday Feb 10, 2012 BFP # 2 - Jan 19, 2012 - EDD Sept 24, 2013 - CP Jan 24, 2012
  • Options
    Mar5195Mar5195 member
    edited September 2013
    Starbuck128 - Target is like a vacation for me too.  And my child is great in the cart too, I can go down EVERY single aisle.  I'm on a tight budget so we go alot to window shop. 

Megan- do it! I think WW is doing a promo where you get 2 months free. I pay $45 monthly I get all the Etools. It's an investment in your health!! I'm on a tight budget and I think it makes me more accountable spending this money on myself. And I'm totally down with being FB buddies and sharing WW war stories. I totally eat when I'm bored. Now I eat baby carrots and apples. I need crunch!
  • Options
    I run when DH does bath time. I get massages at a sketchy place down the street that is open until 10pm, and have a gym membership so I can swim at 5:30am or after 8pm. It's hard since I don't want to miss out on her so I squeeze it in around her when sleeping. My new goal is to run with her in the BOB at least 2 times a week for a short run.

I wish I had time to get a pedicure and shop for clothes. I can't take her with me since I just can't concentrate if she's there and I buy bad items. I also tend to eat poorly to feel better so that habit needs to break. Like cookies in. The short nap I get her down. :/
  • Options
    I work in the evenings so I don't get a lot of "me" time but I do get a little. I'm a part of a MOPS group that meets every other week for two semesters (like 10 total meetings). They watch Nat during the meetings for two hours while I get to eat brunch and socialize. Look in your area or church if you have one for a MOPS group! They are open to everyone although its not free.

Also through church we have a mom's group and moms night outs once a month. They are totally worth it!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is a great thread, and I think something we don't do enough of.  I am constantly craving more me time.  It's definitely something I've had to give up lately.  The workweek is pretty much a wash.  I've started making it a priority to go to the gym at least once after the kids go to bed, but it sucks to work out at 8:00 at night.  

On the weekends we do a lot of things as a full family.  My DH is wonderful and fabulous with the kids, but they are kind of overwhelming to handle alone, so I am always involved.  On occasion I will run out and get a pedicure while DD is napping on the weekends, but it's not very often.  We make it a priority to go the gym on both Saturday and Sunday mornings and purposefully found a gym that had childcare on both days so we could make it happen.  We are usually only there for about 45 min or so, but it's great for both of us to get some guilty-free workout time in.  

We occasionally get a babysitter and go out to dinner, but we don't do it that often, and honestly, as much as love alone time with my DH, sometimes I just want ME time.  I haven't been shopping where I can actually try clothes on in so long!!  I'm resigned to internet shopping and making returns, which leads to a wardrobe that fits just OK.  
  • Options
    I'm not doing a very good job either...being a single mom pretty much leaves me no time for "me" except while I'm at work...and well, that's not "me" time then either.  I think it's really starting to drain me, more than I had realized!  Though I wouldn't change my life and having my little man for anything, I really need to try and find something to do for 'me' before I explode!

• Options
    I haven't been taking care of myself. My DH goes to work from 4am until 10am or 12pm. We have daycare on the days he gets off at 12pm. So then I work from 8 to 5 or 10 to 5. He then takes care of her until I come home from work at 5pm. Then dinner, bath, bed time. I'm exhausted by then, so then I sit and watch Netflix until 9. Or clean. Then bed, then all over again. All the good classes at the gym I'm signed up are between 5 and 630. And then the weekends are chores and no gym classes that work with our schedule.

Sometimes Grandma takes her for a night, but the last time was 3 months ago AND she was suppose to take her this week and now flaked. She's done that to us so many times this summer. I also have no friends in town so that doesn't help in me getting out once in a while for dinner or something. Sounds like a vent, sorry about that, it's been stressing me out for a looong time. I hope now that the summer's over, I can figure out Me Time. Thanks for reading. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"