May 2013 Moms
Options

Starting BLW before 5 months?

Our 4 month pedi appointment was today. All good news - V and E are growing on track, meeting all their development milestones, and the office had the combo vaccine in stock (yay!)

Our pedi said something surprising though. He suggested we start giving them solids like, now. He said that the guidance to wait until six months to reduce allergy risk was "outdated" and that they're now saying to start around 4 to 4.5 months.  He assumed we'd spoon feed and start with cereal, but even when I told him we planned to do Baby Led Weaning and skip the cereals and purees altogether, he said we should still start now. 

I recently read some guidance on the AAP's website about it being recommended to start solids between 4-6 months but ideally closer to 6. However, it was a study that I read, which may have been out of date?

When I asked about BLW he suggested starting with Mum-Mum rice biscuits.  My girls can't even sit up unassisted yet (pedi said due to their weights they probably won't until 7-8 months), which I thought was one of the criteria for when to start BLW. 

I guess some more research is in order on my part, but curious whether anyone else's pedi recommend starting this early? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Starting BLW before 5 months?

• Options
    Our apt was today too but our pedi suggested 5 months or so... she said we could start "tastes" like mashed banana or avacado on his lips. We won't be telling FIL this, however... he's been mentioning feeding him ice cream since he was born!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Lamb29 said:

I would buy some books and start reading up.  They need to be able to sit up, or the risk of choking increases greatly.  

My pedi says 6 months,  4 months was the thing when DS1 was a baby.  I don't like telling people not to listen to your doctor, but that sounds like very outdated advice.

Yeah, I read Gill Rapley's book, and from that, I don't think my girls are ready. I believe the Mum Mum biscuits dissolve in their mouths, so maybe this would be a good way to start.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just had my 4 month app and pedi mentioned nothing about solids. I am planning to EBF until 6 months and ten start solids, that's what the Canadian food guide tells us. I find it interesting that some are saying to start at 4 months. LO can barely sit in her bumbo let alone a high chair. What reasons are they giving you for starting solids this early? You have got me curious. I am waiting as long as possible cause with solids comes the smelly poops.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our Dr. said to start oatmeal now at 4 months and start veggies 2 weeks after he has mastered oatmeal. I didn't ask about BLW.

photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I just had my 4 month app and pedi mentioned nothing about solids. I am planning to EBF until 6 months and ten start solids, that's what the Canadian food guide tells us. I find it interesting that some are saying to start at 4 months. LO can barely sit in her bumbo let alone a high chair. What reasons are they giving you for starting solids this early? You have got me curious. I am waiting as long as possible cause with solids comes the smelly poops.

The reason he gave was to lower the risk of developing an allergy. He said that the guidance that says that delaying solids until six months to lower allergy risk is outdated. Doesn't sound right to me.
  • Options
    When I mentioned BLW to our pedi she looked at me like I was nuts and had no idea what I was talking about. After I explained it, she was like oh no no no that's crazy. So we're looking for a new pedi now.... She also said to start rice cereal now (4 mos), which I will most certainly not be doing yet. I don't think LO is ready yet and I don't think I want to start with ground up processed rice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lamb29 said:
    I would buy some books and start reading up.  They need to be able to sit up, or the risk of choking increases greatly.  

My pedi says 6 months,  4 months was the thing when DS1 was a baby.  I don't like telling people not to listen to your doctor, but that sounds like very outdated advice.
    This.  
  • Options
    My pedi has always said between 4-6 months, depending on the kid. I believe that recent studies, which I now cannot find to save my life, recommend starting at 4 rather than 6. This is within the past 2 years.

I have read that if a child is at risk for Celiac disease, it is important for them to start cereal at 4 months while being breastfed to improve their chances of NOT developing the allergy. Since Celiac is under diagnosed, the 4 month recommendation will reach more kids who may be at risk.

As for BLW with a 4 month old, I have no idea. Pincher grip is important for BLW.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    Here is a recent article that talks about the revised solids guidelines from the AAP.

https://www.komonews.com/living/health/Doctors-recommend-feeding-babies-solid-foods-sooner--196051151.html?m=y&smobile=y
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    Ceefome said:

My pedi has always said between 4-6 months, depending on the kid. I believe that recent studies, which I now cannot find to save my life, recommend starting at 4 rather than 6. This is within the past 2 years.

I have read that if a child is at risk for Celiac disease, it is important for them to start cereal at 4 months while being breastfed to improve their chances of NOT developing the allergy. Since Celiac is under diagnosed, the 4 month recommendation will reach more kids who may be at risk.

As for BLW with a 4 month old, I have no idea. Pincher grip is important for BLW.

Interesting, thank you. We have no known allergies in our family so I wouldn't think we'd be at a higher risk for Celiac disease.

Pincer grip doesn't develop until around 9 months so it's not necessary to have before starting BLW (big chunks of veggies or meat to gum and suck on) but it is required before moving onto the smaller stuff.
  • Options
    My pedi said it was 6 months because studies showed that those that started solids earlier switched more readily to formula and off breast milk. His opinion was that the studies were misleading and you can start at 4 mos if baby is ready. I personally will be doing b l w and waiting until he can sit up, but that is the opposite of what my pedi said.
    I agree, its all about the baby, and if the baby is ready. There isn't a magic switch that happens overnight going from 5 months into 6 months. This article mentions that as well. https://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/03/28/solid_foods_for_infants_are_not_dangerous.html
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @wmorgan003  I'm kind of doing BLW now and O is only about 4.5 months.  My pediatrician mentioned solids at the 4 month appt, mainly because he's already 20 lbs.  I said that I didn't want to do cereal so he gave us the green light to move right to avocado and then on to other veggies if he tolerates everything well.  So far, since the entire premise of early BLW is just playing and exploring food, we've given him some avocado slices and the other night a raw carrot to just play with.  

He does meet all of the requirements of BLW (sits up in his high chair, interested in what we're doing since we've had him in his Bumbo at the dinner table since 3 months, etc.) so we've started to let him play around.  It is a pretty big mess and waste of food at this point since he misses his mouth half of the time so we don't do it at every meal.  I do have to say that it's been an absolute blast to watch him learn and develop the hand eye coordination to feed himself.  We mostly laugh a lot with him.  He's still eating the same amount of formula as he did before.

As soon as yours are sitting up, I don't see why you couldn't start it!  The thing with BLW is that they are in control of what goes into their own mouth so there is already so much less choking risk just from that.  I read the book and don't frequent the website but maybe there is a way to contact Gill Rapley or the other author about your individual case?  
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input.

So I think I am going to wait until they're sitting up with less assistance and showing more interest in our food. One of them is starting to show a lot of interest but the other isn't yet. And neither are close to sitting up alone yet.
  • Options
    My guy is a supported sitter and his solids are mostly purees. But he loves those mum mum biscuits!

• Options
    Lamb29 said:

This.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MrsM1111MrsM1111 member
    edited September 2013
    Our pedi suggested 6mo for BLW. Sounds like he may not have had all the info swimming through his head when he answered..?

Edit typo
  • Options

The reason he gave was to lower the risk of developing an allergy. He said that the guidance that says that delaying solids until six months to lower allergy risk is outdated. Doesn't sound right to me.
    Actually, our pedi gave the same exact advise. Start at 4 mos reduces risk of allergies and that's why the guidance is changing. LO is 4 mos Monday. We will start offering a tablespoon of oatmeal twice a day and see how it goes.

TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Options
    helenkayj said:
    Our apt was today too but our pedi suggested 5 months or so... she said we could start "tastes" like mashed banana or avacado on his lips. We won't be telling FIL this, however... he's been mentioning feeding him ice cream since he was born!!!
    Too funny.  My dad gave LO pudding this past week!  It was a teeny tiny amount, but I nearly died!
    Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

TTA until 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"