Nurseries and Baby Gear

Ok I'm a doofus and need help (temporal artery thermometer)

I bought an Exergen temporal artery thermometer and whenever I try to use it, it turns off! I followed the directions, but I've only managed to get it to work once. Any tips? I feel like an idiot! :)
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Ok I'm a doofus and need help (temporal artery thermometer)

• Take it back and buy a $5 rectal! Cheaper, easier, more accurate.
  • Ooh, no thanks. He freaks out when I take it under his arm. I can't imagine what he'd do if I stuck one up his butt!
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe you just got a lemon. I never have this happen with ours and we've had it 3 years.
    Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

• Meery82 said:

Ooh, no thanks. He freaks out when I take it under his arm. I can't imagine what he'd do if I stuck one up his butt!

You need a rectal thermometer. If he ever does have a fever, it's the most accurate way to check and your pediatrician will ask for you to do it that way. It's quick and painless.
    ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • He's a baby he doesn't have to like it lol it takes just a few seconds, isn't painful at all, and is more accurate. The temporal thermometers seem easier and more convenient, but are useless if used incorrectly (which they frequently are) and don't work on moist skin (including your baby when he's sweaty with a high fever).
  • Meery82 said:

Ooh, no thanks. He freaks out when I take it under his arm. I can't imagine what he'd do if I stuck one up his butt!

https://community.sw.org/2011/11/which-thermometer-is-most-accurate/
  • My pediatrician said the temporal artery thermometers are fine past the newborn stage. Meery, sounds like yours has a bad battery or is a dud - it should stay on long enough for you to swipe it across the forehead. (FWIW, I used it on my teenage stepson last week while he was sleeping and was grateful to have something that could be used quickly and quietly without waking him.)
  • kmc84 said:

Meery82 said:

You need a rectal thermometer. If he ever does have a fever, it's the most accurate way to check and your pediatrician will ask for you to do it that way. It's quick and painless.
    ;)
    Nope. Never getting a rectal thermometer. My pediatrician said the temporal thermometers are just as accurate if not more than a rectal. I have a great temporal one for my baby. No need to unnecessarily stick something up my sick baby's bum!
    That's your choice to make, but a temporal scan is just not as accurate. I'm speaking as an RN. When dealing with high adult fevers or fevers in babies and children, I have NEVER had an MD who didn't want a rectal temp to confirm. Your ped may be ok with it, but he his in the minority on that one.

Taking a rectal temp is not difficult. I'm not sure why people think it's some terrible, aweful thing to do. You will not traumatized your child by doing it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Can't someone on these boards just answer the friggin question??!!  The OP asked about getting her temporal thermometer to work correctly and advice on how to use it.  She did not ask for opinions on what type of thermometer to use and unsolicited comments on its accuracy.  I'm sure she has a pediatrician for medical advice. 

I have a 20 month old and have never used a rectal thermometer.  I've used the temporal one and an underarm one when she was a newborn.  I've had 3 pediatricians and all of them use the temporaral one themselves.  I guess all three of mine (in a major city no less) are also in the minority. 

Why can't people keep their unwanted opinions and views to themselves.  If the question was "what type of thermometer should I get" or "which thermometer is most accurate" then sure, go ahead and give your expert advice and pros and cons for the different types. 

Phew......I'm glad I got that off my chest!  Have a nice day!!

• mullenem said:
    We love our temporal thermometer past the infant stage.  It may be a dud that you got but what I do with ours is hit the button once to turn it on, put it in the middle of the forehead, press the button and hold it while you swipe to the temple, then look at the temp reading.  I usually do it 2-3 times just to make sure I'm getting an accurate/consistent reading.

Exactly how I do it too!

• I'm a RN as well. I already know that rectal thermometers are the most accurate. I have thermometers that can be used rectally if absolutely necessary. I bought the temporal artery thermometer because my kid flips when I take it under his arm. And it takes forever! I wanted something quick and noninvasive. I just wanted to know why the thing kept turning off. Thank you to those who actually answered my question. And to the others, I will use the rectal thermometer if I feel I need to. Thank you for your advice and concern.
  • Temporal thermometers are just as accurate as rectal temps due to the use of the temporal artery on the forehead, which gives you a core temperature. Try holding the button down as you swipe the forehead (and possibly while going behind the ear to the dip behind the ear...depending on the instructions) We use the Exergen temporal thermometers at the hospital I work at as an RN.
    Baby #1: Elena 4/6/14
    Baby #2: Grayson EDD 10/22/16

• I have that brand. There is a clear plastic cap that I have read some people don't see and don't take off. Make sure you take the cap off. That being said, I never had much luck with getting an accurate temp with it. Could be me...I'm definitely not an RN!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"