Military Families

Gift for someone leaving for Marines

I have no military experience, but my 18 year old nephew is leaving for the Marines in a few days. I assume he can't bring much with him, but I'm looking for suggestions for a gift.  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Gift for someone leaving for Marines

• Maybe like a neat digital watch (make sure it's black).  He won't be able to take anything else.   It would be nice to get his mailing address and write letters or send cards while he's at basic training.  You could also clip magazine articles or newspaper articles you think he would like (don't send the whole magazine because he could get in trouble for that early on).  
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Avion22 said:
    Maybe like a neat digital watch (make sure it's black).  He won't be able to take anything else.   It would be nice to get his mailing address and write letters or send cards while he's at basic training.  You could also clip magazine articles or newspaper articles you think he would like (don't send the whole magazine because he could get in trouble for that early on).  
    Do you know if he bring an ipod? Excuse my ignorance...I'd ask his mom, but she is rushing around getting ready for the party ;)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly don't send him anything. Pick something nice to congratulate him when he gets back. They issue him everything he needs. MH is a USMC recruiter, and his shipping kids bring their DL, SS card, and a throwaway razor and toothbrush. That's it. 
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • catmw21 said:
    Avion22 said:
    Maybe like a neat digital watch (make sure it's black).  He won't be able to take anything else.   It would be nice to get his mailing address and write letters or send cards while he's at basic training.  You could also clip magazine articles or newspaper articles you think he would like (don't send the whole magazine because he could get in trouble for that early on).  
    Do you know if he bring an ipod? Excuse my ignorance...I'd ask his mom, but she is rushing around getting ready for the party ;)
    No, see my response above. That'd be a great present for him for graduation though!
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • letter, letter, letters.  They feel so isolated at first and the letters keep them from getting home sick.  Sounds kinda silly, but believe it or not, some of them do cry for home.  Hubby is retired Marine, son-in-law is a Marine and I worked for them for 11 years as a civilian.  Once they graduate and go to MCT, send them care packages, gift cards and love.
  • Thanks, all!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • If he is heading to boot camp don't send him anything except for letters. Anything sent to him will either be thrown out or he will get in deep shit for having the contraband items. You can talk to his recruiter and they will tell you not to bring anything at all as cellphones, Ipods and stuff have a chance of being thrown out during pre boot. 

My husband when he left for MCRD took the clothes on his back and his papers.. that was it. He told of us guys having Ipods thrown out. Letters are the only thing you can send. 

In the Army we could get packages like pictures and socks and underwear if we asked the parents to send it. But the Marine Corp is a lot more strict. Save anything for after MCT and E school.  

• Ditto about sending lots of letters. Also after he has been there a while he will probably be able to receive drink mixes, like powdered Gatorade. DH said he got to have some (warm) Gatorade about a month into boot camp and it was like heaven after drinking only warm water for so long.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"