November 2013 Moms

Gifts for the nurses?

So I am a pinterester and have came arcoss some gifts for the nurses after you leave the room.  I was curious if this is something that other mothers have done?  I am a FTM so I don't know if I should do this or not.  I was just curious.  I was also curious if I would do something like that would I do individual gifts or just 1 big gift??  if so how many individual ones should I make?  Thanks!

Re: Gifts for the nurses?

• What kind of gifts do they like? Can they have chocolates or treats? I wouldn't want them snacking then giving me a vaginal exam lol... I know I know .. They wash their hands. Hopefully!
  • haha :)  I think that I was thinking that I would do it like after I leave the hospital?  Like I could just keep it in my vehicle and when I have DH get the car seat and stuff he could also get the gifts for the nurses????  I don't know I am still contemplating it though.  Thanks
  • Loading the player...
  • I had read something that said to bring them a big bag or box of candy so they can put it at the nurse's station and all share it.  
    January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• DH runs a bakery and he's really REALLY excited to make a Happy Birthday, Baby! cake to take to the nurses' stand at L&D as a thank you, lol. I've also heard of people sending a big gift basket (healthy stuff like fruit and nuts and granola bars) to the nurses for everyone to share as well - when my mom was working as a hospital nurse, a nice note and a big basket of snacks were always appreciated.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • I think it would be nice. I am planning on doing something. The nurses at my hospital are amazing though and go above and beyond what is actually thier job.

Since I am having a c/s and know it will be in the morning I was thinking maybe bringing in a large box of coffee with a bunch of cups, cream and sugar and maybe something like just a nice card to all the nurses when I leave.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic              image 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was gunna do the individual bags like @Katie.725, but from other mom's I've talked to, some hospitals/nurses have policies on giving individual gifts. I'm planning on making a basket of goodies to have in the room and DH and I will invite everyone (doctors, nurses, interns, etc) to help themselves whenever they come in. Then, before we leave, we'll leave the basket at the nurses station. I think nurses gifts are an excellent gesture. Happy nurses are key to a happy labor and delivery (or so I've learned from my sister's and sister-in-laws' labors...you always want happy nurses. :-)

#LOLFITMAMA
  • I probably won't do anything special, since as pp mentioned it is there job. However I love the idea of a happy birthday baby cake!! Maybe I'll have my patents bring one and we'll share. I might do something if I spent extended time with nurses or had a particularly difficult situation, like HBR or a NICU visit. So, hopefully that won't be happening!

• I plan on bringing in baggies of home-made trail mix and cookies, so they can have sweet or savory.  I might put cute pink ribbons on them, but nothing too fancy.  I'll either leave it in my room or at the nurses' station - I guess they can do what they want.  

it's not super-elaborate, but I think it's nice to at least do something small :).

• I'm planning on making 2 baskets. One for the L&D nurses and one for PP nurses. I will probably just leave them at each nurses station. I am planning on going to dollar tree and stuffing them full of both healthy and non healthy treats, crystal light packets, hand sanitizer, lip balm, anything along those lines. My nurses last time were amazing and went above and beyond.
  • We have a close friend that is a RN-A (yep, gives you the epidural, I *heart" him!!), and he has told us the L&D and Mother/Baby nurses love getting gifts from the patients.  It can definitely help ensure the rest of your stay is super pleasant.  For DS1, DH brought in a bunch of bagels and cream cheese and fruit the morning after baby was born.  We'll probably do something similar...and maybe add a thing of good coffee too. 

• I regretted not giving gifts to the nurses with DS1, they were amazing and they gave me so much free stuff to take home.

This time I'm going to bring them a gift basket to keep at the nurses station. Nothing elaborate or fancy but something to show my appreciation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic     

• You'll most likely have a different nurse every 8-12 hours while you're in the hospital (sometimes even more like every 4 hours because they move around).  I don't know how you'd be able to thank just the nurses who took care of you.  I personally think this is a bit excessive.  This is what they do for a living after all.
    I mostly agree with this.  If you really want to do something, I'd do something that they can share (like tasty treats!) at the nurses station since you don't really know how many you'll have.  If someone goes above and beyond you can always get their name and send them something after the fact too!
  • Working in the medical field and having family as L& D nurses, food is always great.  Most of the time we don't have time to sit and eat a whole meal so finger food is best.  Small sandwiches, or if you are going to cater, something that can be grabbed and eaten quickly.  Sweats are good too.  I am a STM and with DS I brought it a 12 foot sub and had it cut up and brought brownies and cookies.  They loved it. I did do one for each shift.  Usually you will be there for at least 3 shift shift changes so I had them delivered at 11am for day shift, 5pm for afternoon and 1am for midnight shift.
    View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    My forever love  ( April Siggy Challenge) 
  • I might do a big bag of candy for the nurses, it'll be right after Halloween so there will be all kinds of candy sales at the stores... I also want to do something for my MW because she is absolutely amazing, just not sure what, since, like PP said, it's her job to give me prenatal care and deliver the baby.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Agreed with previous posters! As a nurse myself we certainly do not expect thank yous as it is our job but if you feel you have received good care and want to thank us its a great gesture and appreciated because most days all we hear are the complaints!!!
  • I am a Labor and Delivery nurse. And yes it is absolutely our job to give you great care without asking anything in return - but let me tell you all - treats make us give just a little bit more :) maybe you'll get you're epidural a little quicker than if you didn't get us anything. If you get my drift.

Trust me. Get your nurses some goodies.
  • Agreed with previous posters! As a nurse myself we certainly do not expect thank yous as it is our job but if you feel you have received good care and want to thank us its a great gesture and appreciated because most days all we hear are the complaints!!!
    this. I'm a nurse as well and snacks are always great if you are appreciative of your nurse. It makes my day when my patients bring things because they think I provided them or their families great care. Even if it's just a card. I keep any cards with my name on them to put in my nursing portfolio. My hospital in particular has something called Spirit Awards that you can ask for if you dont want to spend any money. You fill out the spirit award and then the nurse gets a free lunch from the cafeteria plus a nice note from you. Not sure if your hospitals have a similar program but it wouldn't hurt to check and it wouldn't cost you any money. 

• You'll most likely have a different nurse every 8-12 hours while you're in the hospital (sometimes even more like every 4 hours because they move around).  I don't know how you'd be able to thank just the nurses who took care of you.  I personally think this is a bit excessive.  This is what they do for a living after all.

I'm a nurse and that's a pretty shitty thing to say.

Feb Siggy Challenge
  • We plan on bringing bagels,donuts, fruit etc and leaving it at the nurses station
  • When you treat people well, they treat you well!  My best friend is a nurse and I asked her what they like.  She said candy or anything edible really.  Definitely doing it.  It may be their job, but it's not always easy.  No harm in being extra kind!

• I had read something that said to bring them a big bag or box of candy so they can put it at the nurse's station and all share it.  

This - as a nurse I can say that we always appreciate snacks.  But please, buy them, don't make them.  homemade stuff, albeit a sweet gesture, generally gets side-eyed because we don't know you very well!  

RN lurker here.. Just wanted to add that it's probably best to leave something at the nurses station rather than in your room. I personally wouldn't eat anything from a patients room or homemade. Also, I agree that it's our job, but it's always nice to feel appreciated. If you have a nurse that stands out above the rest, you could always write a note or ask if they have some sort of employee recognition. That always feels pretty dang awesome! :-)

HP super sirius

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My best friend is a nurse and she said people always bring them snacks and while they appreciate it they all are trying to lose weight or be healthy. So we are getting little bottles of hand sanitizer and lotions from bath and bady works for them all :) just a basket and they can pick what they want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"