May 2013 Moms

No place to pump at work, venting

So today is the first day in our new building and our suite is one open space with cubicles. No private area whatsoever. The bathroom is three stalls shared by the whole building and very high traffic .

I pumped in there this morning and several people were commenting "what's that noise" "we can't have stalls occupied this long", etc and it made me very self conscious. I feel like I have nowhere to pump!

H and I carpool, he drops me off, but I may have to start taking my own car so I can pump in it.

Just venting.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: No place to pump at work, venting

• What about meeting rooms? Yes, I would research the law and if it is in your favor for your state then I would print it out to show HR or your boss.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Definitely check with HR. We moved buildings and on our floor I couldn't really find a private place. We have super modern space and private offices are glass. After digging around we had "Wellness Rooms" on other floors that are made just for this. They just added the access to my key card and I can go on any floor that has a room.
  • Loading the player...
  • My company has a lactation room but it's on another floor in the building adjoining mine. As PP suggested, maybe there's a space on another floor? I hope so. If not, or in the meantime until you confirm, I'd book a conference room.

If you have to pump in the restroom for the rest of the day, I would probably put a sign on the stall door so people waiting for a stall aren't talking about it or knocking on the door, etc.
  • I would like to point out that the above information is correct, and that it is FEDERAL law. Your state may offer further protection, but if your company has more than 50 employees, they are mandated to provide you a non-bathroom space. Even if they have fewer than 50 employees, they need to prove that providing a space would be undue hardship. It doesn't have to be a permanent space, either. Here is a link:
    https://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/faqBTNM.htm
    4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • OMG I am so sorry, what a horrible experience. How many employers does your co. have? Are they required to have pump space? I pump in an empty office right now and I was pumping in a locker room (no lock) a couple of months ago. If I had to I would use my car, anyone's office you can use?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• Thanks for the suggestions ladies.

We have less than 50 employees. I'm in NY state and I think here the law says they have to provide me time and private space no matter the number of employees.

The problem is that they literally have no such space available. It's one big open area, no offices with closing doors.

• CNJ4EVA said:

Thanks for the suggestions ladies.

We have less than 50 employees. I'm in NY state and I think here the law says they have to provide me time and private space no matter the number of employees.

The problem is that they literally have no such space available. It's one big open area, no offices with closing doors.

In the entire building?
    I will inquire, but will the companies renting the other suites have any obligation to let me use their space? I am going to check with HR.
  • I really appreciate all the input.

My boss has a sectioned off area, but it's only walled on 3 sides, so it's still open.
  • I sympathize with you. This was part of the reason pumping was not going to work for me. I hope you figure something out.
  • Like PP said, its their problem not yours. They can be fined pretty heavily if they are found to be sending you to the toilets to pump. Also, is it a restroom for just your offices or te entire building? If its the latter, you can also have the women in the other offices file a complaint with your company. Good luck!
  • I would find out who manages the building and find out if there is a space,a closet, something. That or meeting rooms, but it sounds like you don't have that either. I've been pumping in my car each time I travel to our second location because I hate the set up they have for pumping. I park in a not too out in the open spot and put my cover on and read my Kindle while I pump :) I kind of enjoy it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"