Cleveland Babies

Akron General V. Akron City

I was wondering if anyone has experience at either one of these hospitals? I toured Akron General last night and it seemed kind of dumpy... Not to say that the care would be bad but i was hoping for a roomier place. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Akron General V. Akron City

• I birthed at general and loved it. Even my doula said that it's the most mother friendly hospital that she's ever been in. I had a long, difficult labor and stalled for 9 hours. No onee freaked out. I was given options at every turn. The staff adhered as closely as possible to my birth plan and got me the nearly unmedicated vaginal birth I wanted they allowed the epi to wear off completely for the later parts of labor so I could move and feel pushing phase in it's entirity. I will never go to City if I can help it. A week before DS was born my bff miscarried and went to City's ER soaking through 2 to 3 pads an hour and was made to wait in the waiting room for an hour. Thankfully her bleeding slowed while she was there waiting.
  • I gave birth at Akron City and the staff that took care of me during the delivery and recovery were wonderful. Outside of that I was really unhappy with them. I had to preregister 4 times because they never had me on file. The people they have answering phones are rude. When I took the tour they said always come in through the ER door when you are labor and they will take care of you.I was in labor and came to the door while my husband was parking. The lady at the check in said you have to go to the other end of the hospital and walked away. Thank goodness for the poilce officer that put me in a wheel chair and pushed me to where I needed to go. If I had a choice, I probably wouldnt go back there
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at Akron General and had a great experience. I would have loved to be in that huge labor room for the entire time I was there. But oh well the care both baby and I recieved was great! The nurses in post pardom were so friendly and willing to help me with anything. They treated me like I was important to them. Not just another patient taking up a bed.

I will deliver my next chid at Akron General as well.
  • I delivered both of my kids at Akron General and both times, the staff was FABULOUS. The level of care there was amazing. Seriously, my nurses cared about me and baby. To me, that's what is most important. My room with #2 was on the upstairs level of the unit and while the room wasn't huge (with #1 we had a larger room on the main floor), it was certainly adequate for the short time I was there. I ended up having a c-section and still was only in the hospital for 3 days. DH stayed overnight with me -- sleeping on a chair that pulled out into a twin bed sort of thing.
  • slh6363slh6363 member
    I also have the choice of the two and am going with City. They have a very highly rated NICU and that is important to me.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I can give a little insight here.  I actually work at City (in security) and I delivered in Barberton.  I loved that it is smaller and more personable.  The staff was excellent and the only reason I would come to City to deliver is if I were at work and went into labor (even then I might try and get to Barberton) or if I knew the baby was gonna need the NICU.  I have been a patient at Akron General and the staff was ok.  I am actually the person who monitors the baby alarms when they go off and get the officers there to check on them if I can't see the door myself on camera.  I DO NOT like how many times they move you when you are at City though...registration, triage, room (delivery) then another post-partum room.  Barberton was an all-in-one thing...start and end in the same room!  City can get very hectic as I am sure General does...I've seen as many as 15-20 moms in the post-partum rooms.  When I was in Barberton I was the only patient on the floor for over a day so I had the staff to myself! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Even if I go into labor in front of City hospital, I wouldn't deliver there. I'll walk to General... I have some interesting (and gory/horrifying) reasons why, but I'll add this: My BFF who is a RN with a specialty for the PICU prefers General as well.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

image  image image

• Would you care to share your gory/horrifying reasons? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I watched my mother die there slowly for 8 months... it was pretty horrifying. Nurses telling us she has c-diff and not having us cover up/be protected or covering up themselves, thats just a small part... General organizational problems, horrid bedside manner.   Watching your mother die when you're an only child and 22 isn't fun. Nothing anyone can say will change my mind, sorry.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

image  image image

• I had an emergency c-section at City due to my water breaking with my twins at 33.5 weeks.  The nurses were wonderful, the NICU staff amazing!  I can not say enough good things about them!  While I was still drugged up, they wheeled me (on a hospital bed) into the NICU to see my babies.  One night, we couldn't get my son to calm down and I was rocking him to sleep but was due for pain meds, the nurse from my floor walked down and gave them to me in the NICU.  The staff made it easier to leave my babies in the NICU when I discharged 5 days later.  I was allowed to stay an extra day as a 'guest' in my room so that I could be with them.  That made the transition a lot easier.
  • I have a friend that just delivered at General in October - not a terrible experience but it is WAY outdated compared to the really nice maternity floor at City. The security and food at General in comparison to City is not good.  If you have a choice, I'd go to City!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"