Toddlers: 24 Months+

DS having sleep problems after almost 2 years of great sleep!

When DS was around a year old, we did CIO and it worked great!  He has been going to sleep by himself and sleeping through the night until now.  When we first got his full size bed about 2 months ago, he wanted me to lay in bed with him until he fell asleep.  No big deal.  Then I got him to the point where I could just read him his books, tuck him in and he'd go to sleep by himself.  About two weeks ago, he started telling me he "needed a hug" at bed time and freaking out if I'd try to leave his room.  Which lead to me staying in his room again until he fell asleep.  I can't seem to break him of it now.  He also is either waking up at night or getting up REALLY early.  He refuses to go back to sleep unless he comes in my bed or I go in his. 

I don't know what to do because when we did CIO, he was in a crib.  He can get out of his room now.  Please tell me someone has some suggestions!  I don't want to continue this habit but I'm not sure what to do.  Thanks in advance!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DS having sleep problems after almost 2 years of great sleep!

• I have a friend who just did the Super Nanny style approach of leading her DD back to bed without saying a word.  She said the first night it took 46 times, the second 16, the third 3 and now DD stays in her room until her OK To Wake Clock turns green.  

We just have a toddler lock on the door so DD can't get out, I figure it's no different than when she was in the crib (we do have a video monitor so we know she's OK).

I know my parents just made a bed for us on the floor so when we came into their room in the night we didn't even have to wake them, we just fell asleep on the floor.

Just a few different approaches that may work for your family.  Have you considered asking him why he is leaving his room?  Maybe it's something you could fix.
  • We r in the same boat only our ds is 3 1/2 :-( we gated the top of the stairs so he can't come down and have our dd sleeping downstairs in the pack n play until the screaming it out stops... We are praying it doesn't go longer then a week
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I like the idea of Super Nanny style. My daughter is almost 3 and just started having this problem too. I also have a new baby at home, so I struggle with letting her scream too. And her cries have progressed to actual screams. Yesterday it was over 30 minutes of it. Yikes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lorist202lorist202 member
    edited September 2013
    I could have written this post myself.  I'm almost positive it's separation anxiety.  We still have the crib in his room with his big boy bed, and half the time he's back in the crib, which only mildly helps. I really wish I had an actual solution.  In our house, the screaming, and going back and forth to him goes on for about 2 hours.  It's painful and exhausting for us all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in the same boat.  My son turned 2 in July and for the past week, he's been waking up btw 2-4am (after going to bed around 7:30-8pm)....either my husband or I are taking him to our guest bedroom so that he goes back to sleep.  I agree, it's exhausting, but am considering  going back to CIO again.  Could it be a growth spurt?  And if it's separation anxiety, how long does this last?!  It would be nice to get a FULL night's sleep again some time soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"