Attachment Parenting
Options

Bed Sharing Moms, What Do You Think?

Are any bedsharing Mamas afraid of their LOs never moving to their own beds/rooms? I coslept with my DD from day one and bedshared off and on. However, since about 2.5 mos ago (when she turned 6mos), we started to bed share. She was waking up every 2-3 hrs to BF (still is!) so in a quest to get more sleep, I decided to exclusively bedshare with her. She's a chubby little Darling and feeds well during the day, so I'm not sure why she keeps wanting to feed through the night...that's a whole other issue! :( Although she is still waking every couple of hours to feed, DD seems to be sleeping more soundly in our bed than in her crib. She'll whine a bit when she first awakes until she finds my breast and she'll turn over, back to sleep once she's had enough.

So the reason behind my initial question - I am not one to buckle usually when it comes to my intuition (bedsharing/cosleeping is right for us) but lately, I'm being chastised by family and friends for allowing DD to sleep with us so now I'm second guessing myself . I don't return to work until the new year but everyone is saying that it will be difficult to "break her of this habit" when I go back to work. My MIL says she needs to be in her crib for safety reasons since she'll be crawling soon (my MIL freaked when I told her we bed shared since DD rolls all over the place. I told her I'd get bed rails but she's convinced that they don't make them for king beds...???). A friend was surprised DD wasn't in her own room and proceeded to tell me that she knows a couple who still can't get their 8 yr old out of their bed.

Any thoughts Mamas? TIA :)

Re: Bed Sharing Moms, What Do You Think?

• Options
    We've never had difficulties with the transition. We transitioned my son from our bed for the first time at 20 months. That lasted for about six months until separation anxiety came back full force. He slept in bed with us again until a little shy of three and has been in his own bed for a year. Some new toys and a reward did the trick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm curious about your going back to work--are they talking about bed sharing at nap times, or at night?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You need to do what is best for you and your baby, and it sounds like you have a good thing going!

Your LO won't be in your bed forever, and you can make the transition gentle and loving whenever you are ready. :)

As for nursing frequently at night, it's extremely common and normal. Their tummies are tiny, and if she's growing or teething, she'll need to nurse a bit more. What she does (rolling away when she's done) sounds exactly like my DS. :)
    imageimage
  • Options

I'm curious about your going back to work--are they talking about bed sharing at nap times, or at night?

Both. They think it will be "hell" as they put it, in the morning if DD is woken up by us trying to get ready for work and not in her own space. Oh my gosh, I forgot to mention, MIL had a Harry when I told her that we nap together too, nurse her to nap (only way she will nap) :) I love it but apparently all will come unglued when I have to go back to work according to them. I guess I just figured DD would grow out of nurse to nap...right?....soon? :-SS

• Options
    Emerald27 said:

You need to do what is best for you and your baby, and it sounds like you have a good thing going!

Your LO won't be in your bed forever, and you can make the transition gentle and loving whenever you are ready. :)

As for nursing frequently at night, it's extremely common and normal. Their tummies are tiny, and if she's growing or teething, she'll need to nurse a bit more. What she does (rolling away when she's done) sounds exactly like my DS. :)

Oh thank goodness it's not just my LO! I just thought she was regressing back to newborn ways with all the waking and nursing! I honestly love bedsharing, the cuddling is ridiculously awesome! I find myself looking down at her smiling in the dark :). I just figure DD is only this small for so long and one day she won't want Mommy all in her face, cuddling away :) All the comments from the naysayers were just putting me in a funk and making me feel guilty.

• Options
    When I went back to work, bedsharing was what made the separation bearable: we snuggled all night long, and he nursed a lot to make up for the time apart. I don't know what I would have done if I'd spent the day away and the nights sleeping apart!

Babies sleep differently for different people. DS has always been nursed to sleep when he's with me (I'm a SAHM now and we still do this), but if he's with DH, he will go to sleep being rocked or worn in the carrier. Your LO will adjust and adapt to whatever her caregiver can do for her. :)

Try not to worry about others' criticism. You know what's best for you and LO. Follow your heart and your mommy instincts.
    imageimage
  • Options
    My DD, who is just a bit younger than your LO, has always slept in our bed, but she was sleeping through most of the night until recently. Now, on and off, she is nursing all.night.long (cue the AC/DC music).  I was freaking out a little bit about it, but some of the very nice and more experienced moms on this board talked me down, and suggested it is probably just because of teething. Which has turned out to be absolutely spot on.

I worry about some stuff (see my previous post freaking out about daycare :)), but I actually don't worry that DD will never sleep on her own.  I know she will...your LO will too. Of course, there is always the occasional horror story about the teenager who still sleeps in the family bed, but I'm sure that's the exception. Did you see the funny (parody) video someone posted on this site about the grown woman who was seeking assistance because her parents had never sleep-trained her so she couldn't sleep?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    When I went back to work, bedsharing was what made the separation bearable: we snuggled all night long, and he nursed a lot to make up for the time apart. I don't know what I would have done if I'd spent the day away and the nights sleeping apart! Babies sleep differently for different people. DS has always been nursed to sleep when he's with me (I'm a SAHM now and we still do this), but if he's with DH, he will go to sleep being rocked or worn in the carrier. Your LO will adjust and adapt to whatever her caregiver can do for her. :) Try not to worry about others' criticism. You know what's best for you and LO. Follow your heart and your mommy instincts.
    Yes.  This exactly.  I asked about that because I, too,  was so worried that my DS would not go to sleep at naps without me nursing him when I returned to work.  It is true...they will expect different things from different people.  And they will adjust.  My MIL and my DS have their own little routine.  Your babe will adjust and then you will love, love, love the snuggles at night!
  • Options
    Well, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be bedsharing when she goes off to college.  So yes, she will eventually transition.

My daughter was in an attached cosleeper for a few months, bedshared for a few months, put a mattress on the floor next to our bed when she was 1 (though I was down there with her most of the night, so we still bedshared), put her mattress in her room when she was 2.5 (though I sleep in there a lot still, I do start out the night in my own bed).  I wouldn't say that the transition was super easy, but she's always had a rough time with sleep.

People deal with mobile babies and bedsharing all the time; that alone is not a reason to stop bedsharing.  And you (and her caregivers) will figure out ways to make other things work.

(For what it's worth, my daughter didn't stop nursing to sleep for her naps ever - she stopped napping right around 3, and that's how we dropped the nursing to sleep and the nursing when she woke up.)
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oh my gosh, this post and these responses were what I needed as well.  I too bedshare with DD and have since she was a newborn.  We all love it.  DH says we need to eventually work on that transition but he loves it right now too.  My mother watches her during the day, and she sleeps in grandma's arms at nap time, daddy holds her for naps, she sleeps in her swing or in my arms for me.  She makes adjustments for different people and what is comfortable for her.  She has begun sleeping while playing whether on the floor, in her jumper, or in her crib.  She may wake up, but naps are ok to have a variety of places or ways that she sleeps.  She will figure out what works best for her and for the person she is with. 

I work full time and was off for 12 weeks after DD was born.  She adjusted much faster than I did to me being gone.  I wouldn't sweat it, LO's figure out for themselves what works.  As for the nursing, my DD nurses off and on all night, has since she was born, but I let her, because I figure, if she's hungry or thirsty, I would want to be able to get a drink (which I have always gotten up at least 2 times per night to get a drink), so I have no problem with DD nursing, when she is done, she rolls away and flops onto her back with her arms and legs sprawled, lol.  Good luck. 

Keep doing what works best for you, you are right they are only this small for a short time, why not eat up all the snuggles and cuddles we can get!!!

~Misty
  • Options
    You Mamas are awesome! I love hearing advice from this group. I feel better now, just needed to hear some reassurance after being talked into a corner! Thanks Ladies :)

• Options
    ncbellencbelle member
    edited September 2013
    I bed shared until about 16 months and about 22 months - no issues with the transition.  My 2 year old still needs me in the night sometimes and comes for snuggles (as did my now 4 year old at this age) but that's still a very developmentally normal need.  Plus I know plenty of kids who never bed shared who do the same thing!

I would do what works for you and don't listen to anyone who isn't in your bed ;)
  • Options
    My Dd was very similar! She moved from a RnP beside our bed, into bed around 7 months. All I heard was about how horrible it was going to be to get her back into her own bed. She would only nurse to sleep, so for me, it was much easier to just nurse her in the bed during the middle of the night and not fight a crib.
    About 2 weeks before her 2nd birthday we bought her a twin bed, and made a big deal about it. She even helped us build the bed with her little plastic hammer and screwdriver. She also got to pick out her own bedding. She napped in it for about a week, but still wanted to be in our bed at night. We went on vacation for a week where we co-slept, and when we got back I braced myself for "the fight". I planned on giving her a week in our bed to de-stress from vacation, then move her.
    2 days after we got back, she just looked at me and said, "Mommy, night night Ariel bed. byebye" and off she went. No fighting, no tears, just a happy girl in her big girl bed (and after moving to her big girl bed she went from sleeping in 2 hour spurts to 8!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"