Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Anyone NOT like the City Select Double?

I'm researching double strollers for my 2yo and soon to be newborn and I'm feeling like this stroller is really the best of both worlds.  Am I missing something (other than the heavy price tag)?

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

Re: Anyone NOT like the City Select Double?

• Options
    I'd like to know as well!!! It's my top pick for our twins, but would love to hear from others experience.
    Jenny-34, DH-39, Furdog-Nissa
    TTC#1 since Aug '05, CP: 10/05, 8/12; BO: 1/13;
    IUI #8: BFP, beta 1, 6/4/13: 267, beta 2, 6/6/13: 765; First US 6/18/13-Twins!!!
    Due February 13, 2014 with two BOYS! 
    Henry Leo, 4# 13oz, 18.75 inches and Samuel Thomas, 6#, 18.5 inches arrived via c-section January 30th!  

• Options
    I personally love it.  We adopted a newborn when I had a six month old DD.
    I had it prior to the adoption.  I have used it in Italy and Ireland.  I was using two different car seats with it.  I needed a narrower one for in the back of my van.  I used a Chaperone and a Aton with it.  I quite enjoyed both.  We moved both girls too their new convertible car seats this weekend.  I am going to miss the ease of portability when we go to Ireland in November, with the car seats., but it will work fine.   I have put my light six year old in the seat and she is comfortable, although she is quite short.  I would buy this stroller again, and again.  It is our main stroller that we use.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also love it, and I know tthat's not what you're looking for but I have seen a lot of people's comments about what they don't like so I will tell you what they say... tho I still think that some people just expect too much from any one stroller.

Most say its too heavy, however you'll be hard pressed to find a double tandem style stroller that isn't. And certainly won't find one that's as easy to push.

A lot complain about having to take it apart when putting it away in the trunk or whereever. I have found that yes, while it takes an additional 15-30 seconds to put both seats on, the payoff is worth it. As opposed to having no stroller or taking a single umbrella that while easy to open if you have your second child that is not in a stroller to wrangle, well who's saving time now ;)

The other thing I've heard complaints about is that isn't doesn't stand up on its own when foldeD. This can be fixed by locking the front wheels when storing.

Another complaint is that the seats won't both recline well in doubles mode unless both seats are facing you, or facing eachother. I have never found this to be a problem and don't anticipate it ever being a prob for me... because a) it DOES recline fully in at least 2 positions and b) why does it need to have every function in every position possible? Goes back to what I said about some people just expect too much from a stroller I think.

And lastly, it doesn't come with built in cup holders. I wish it came with them and u didn't have to buy separately however, I DO like that when it double mode, the handlebar is free for clipping the diaper bag to and often will use the diaper bag as my "cup holder" I also have the diono cup holder that I take on and off depending on my need for it. Same thing with the tray for the seats. There are some configurations that don't work well with the tray so its nice that it pops off.

Hope this helps! Even tho I'm not a hater of this stroller ;) I truly do love it. And when I used it double with the car seat attachment my fave position was front seat facing me, with the car seat in the top position.
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options
    I don't like it.  I pushed my cousin's for a weekend with her 2 kids in it and my wrists were killing me after.  I knew it wasn't for me.  It was hard to push on any unlevel or non smooth surface and it's LONG.  Kinda felt like I was pushing and turning a boat.  I got a B-Ready for myself and like it a lot.  Push is one handed even with 2 kids in it and it doesn't feel giant as giant.  It also fold easily with both seats attached.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options

I didn't like it because the seating was really for shorties, which I don't have. DD3 didn't fit in the seat at 2 without the canopy, but it still didn't look comfy for her, her head came up over the top. Would have been no good for us, she still liked riding even at three (and I needed her to in crowded places).

I far prefered my Phil and Ted's and much much easier to push, even one handed.

• Options
    I recently researched double strollers and the City Select was one of my top choices.  My girls are 18 months apart - almost 3 months and 21 months.  I really wanted to like it, but the City Select was not for me.  

I found pushing it to be difficult with a toddler sitting further away from you.  (Same reason why I'm not using my UppaBaby as a double.)  I needed something that could handle city sidewalks, bumpy terrain and occasionally jump a curb and it seemed like a chore to manage the CS.  

I also wanted something that my newborn could ride in, without having to use a carseat.  I loved that the seats recline enough to put a newborn in them, but with the full recline facing me, the 2nd seat also had to be in the same position, which I don't think my toddler would enjoy.  Even though there are a lot of configurations with the CS, it doesn't seem like you'd be able to use most of them.  

I was also worried about feedback that the seats are short for taller children.  My first LO is 99% for height so that was a possible issue.

If you haven't already, you should test drive it with your toddler!  Unfortunately, it seems like it's even harder to find a perfect double stroller so you have to figure out what you can live with and what you can't.  
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
    The third time was the charm!
    BFP #3 ~ 4.08.11 ~ EDD: 12.17.11 ~ DD born 12.13.11
    BFP #2 - 8.04.10 - missed m/c discovered 8.31.10, d&c 9.02.10
    BFP #1 - 5.20.10 - m/c 5.29.10 @ 5w6d
  • Options
    Like some of the others I have mixed feelings about it. I absolutely loved my uppababy vista with DS but he didn't like the rumble seat so when DD was born 14 months later I knew we'd need to find something. The CS was the only stroller to fit all our needs so we went with t. I don't regret it but its no where near as nice as the vista. It's very heavy to push with both kids. Currently I only use it if I have to take the kids somewhere alone. Otherwise I use 2 uppababy gluxe strollers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • Options
    I hated it. Main things were time to take it in and out of the car (I fully admit however I'm not a patient person :)
    How it was to push up and down sidewalk edges (we live in an older area without)
    And how far the second kid seemed. Mostly in terms of being able to see them well. Both in the bucket carseat and the seat.
    Instead I sold mine and got a city mini double for the car (folds and unfolds in seconds) and use either that or my bigger double around the neighbourhood. I've never really found myself in a position where my stroller was too wide
  • Options
    I loved mine for shopping malls and that was it. It was terrible on uneven terrain with a heavy toddler on the front. I love my double chariot chinook for walking/running/biking. I have a city mini gt double and like it but don't use it too much because the chariot is soooo much nicer to push. There is no comparison. I sold the city select and now we use the city mini gt double occasionally when we are out and about.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    OMG @janecanadian !! You have the Chinook! Nice ride lady.
  • Options

I realllly wanted to love it.  Took DH to the store totally ready to have to pursuade him to get over the pricetag.  Surprisingly, he was fine with the price and he really liked the concept.  But I ended up not liking it as much as the City Mini Double!  It was heavier than I expected and since I knew I mostly be using it by myself, that was a big deterrent.  The store let us take them both out to test them in the back of our car- we have a Honda CRV with a cargo shelf like the picture below.  I couldn't get the City Select to fit under there (too long) but the City Mini Double was perfect- with room to spare!  I also didn't like having to detach the second seat to get it in there. So even though I was sure I wanted tandem over side by side, I got the CMD on sale and OMG... I frickin love that stroller.  We've used it for several trips to Disney and it's probably the number 1 stroller there b/c all the rental places use it.  All my friends/family that have used it have raved about it.  So in the end, even though I think the concept of the City Select and similar strollers is really awesome, it just wasn't the right fit for us.  I think for people who have a bigger SUV/Minivan with the storage space or who live in the city and walk a lot, its probably perfect. 

• Options
    I think the way you use it makes a big difference. I almost never used it in a store where I think a lot of people love it.
  • Options
    I think the way you use it makes a big difference. I almost never used it in a store where I think a lot of people love it.
    Totally agree.  We live a very outdoor lifestyle and I go to the mall like 5 times a year.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    I love mine so far, but like PPs said, it is a great shopping stroller. If I just have the twins, I will usually use the stroller as my shopping cart; if I have all three kids I push it alongside a cart and have DS ride in the cart.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• Options
    I didn't go with the city select bc the seats were too small for my toddler. DS1 still loves to ride, so I needed something for him to sit comfortable in and nap when we are out on day trips.

The front seat didn't recline if their was a baby seat facing you in the second seat. I didn't care for that.

I also wasn't a fan of the shades.

I love my city min double GT.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies.  I guess I just need to go try some out. I initially thought I wanted a side by side bc everyone said tandems were such boats, but I guess it's just what you like personally.  Thank you for the help!!

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

• Options
    @gimmietimmies it was the best stroller splurge ever! Totally worth it for the swivel wheel and comfy seats for the kids. It moves so smoothly it practically pushes itself!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    gimmietimmiesgimmietimmies member
    edited September 2013
    @gimmietimmies it was the best stroller splurge ever! Totally worth it for the swivel wheel and comfy seats for the kids. It moves so smoothly it practically pushes itself!

I know, right! I've had the Cougar 2 for ten years, and the Cougar 1 prior to that (bought in '98). It's the only stroller that has made it through all five kids, and it's still in beautiful shape. It didn't hurt that I got a factory tour in '98 and they totally sold me on it. Durable isn't a strong enough word, it's close to indestructible. That, our Phil and Ted's and Peg Perego Elegante (pram, not the crap they have now) are the only strollers dh didn't do damage to. The Graco Literider lasted a whole six months.

Anyone reading may be interested to know that you can actually shop with this stroller with the walking/strolling attachment/swivel wheels. I've only ever met one standard door that I couldn't fit, but could with one back wheel off. You're not likely to come across that, this building is effed, you can't get a regular wheelchair through it either, it doesn't pass code.

• Options
    I'm a ftm and so no experience, although I did choose a side by side (bugaboo donkey, for the exact purpose of maneuverability). My really good friend has the city select double and she likes it, but I pushed it once and was really unimpressed with the maneuverability (especially compared to the donkey). BUT, I have friends who LOVE the uppababy vista (not for twins, for different ages) in double mode. They say it's pretty similar to the city select but more compact and a better ride. Also, my cousin lives in London and needed a double stroller - she SWEARS by the phil and teds one and says it gives you so much more maneuverability than other tandems.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Check out my blog: www.lifescravin.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"