Stay at Home Moms
Options

Would you judge this?

So a friend takes her kids to DQ after school yesterday (as did we).  She tells me they are getting 4 medium blizzards for the 5 of them.  Her and her DH, 7 yo DD, 5 yo DS and sharing with their 2 yo DS.

I definitely judged and told her that even I never get anything larger than a small and usually it's a mini!  Her DH rationalized that It was buy one get one for 99 cents, so if they got the kids smalls they would pay full price for 2 mediums anyway.

I judged the 2 small kids next to us eating medium blizzards too.  We all had ice cream cones or the star Popsicle thing.

Re: Would you judge this?

• Options
    lightgetsinlightgetsin member
    edited September 2013
    I might judge a little. I could eat a M but my kids can't even finish a small. I wouldn't order my kids something that big. It has to be 1000 calories right??
  • Options
    No.  I generally get whatever seems like the better deal too.  That way one kid can spill hers, not like her flavor, whatever and the other child still has plenty to share.  Or we can take leftovers home to DH or the fridge/freezer for another day. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Probably a little. Even a mini has 400 calories for the average one, and I can barely eat that myself. But if they weren't overweight, I'd assume it's an occasional treat and brush it off.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • Options

No. Blizzards are too delicious.

Haha! I love this so much.

No and I agree with Amy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    amy052006 said:
    I wouldn't judge that, especially when my ass was eating DQ anyway.

Exactly...
    I understand.  
    A small chocolate cone is 240 calories.
    A medium M&M Blizzard is 840 calories.
    I don't see the need to get my kids a blizzard, but they probably wouldn't finish a mini and we'd pay for something we'd throw away.
  • Options
    No, my kid eats a healthy, balanced diet every day so I don't have to worry about the occasional treat like that, and I wouldn't have a reason to assume that family was any different.  If something is an occasional treat, I wouldn't be calculating how many calories were in it.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    Yup, I would, honestly. That's a ton of ice cream... I never have anything larger than a small and DD certainly won't be allowed to as young as your friend's kids are. That's just me though ;) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    AimeeL85 said:
    No, my kid eats a healthy, balanced diet every day so I don't have to worry about the occasional treat like that, and I wouldn't have a reason to assume that family was any different.  If something is an occasional treat, I wouldn't be calculating how many calories were in it.
    I only looked it up for this post.  I am also counting MY calories, so it is on my mind.  I guess, not my kid, not my choice, not my problem.
  • Options
    ArnegardArnegard member
    edited September 2013
    cjcouple said:
    Nah, it's just ice cream. Sometimes we get this HUGE banana split and the four of us dig in. It seriously has 3 scoops of ice cream that are the size if baseballs, 3 toppings, whipped cream and sprinkles etc
    That is all 4 of you sharing one, not buying 4, right?
  • Options
    No, especially if they're not doing it every dayc and if I know they're doing it every day then I really have no room to judge because it means I'm there every day too... What I do judge though is parents letting their kids get coffee based frappuccinos at Starbucks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I definitely don't think that much when it comes to kids treats. If I were going to be charged the same price for small or medium I'd go with the medium too. If the kids didn't finish it I would. :)
  • Options
    Arnegard said:
    AimeeL85 said:
    I only looked it up for this post.  I am also counting MY calories, so it is on my mind.  I guess, not my kid, not my choice, not my problem.
    Oh I know, I wasn't referencing your post specifically, a few people mentioned the calories and what I really meant was that I just wouldn't be worried about the calories in an occasional treat for kids. If they're healthy and not overweight, I don't feel like having a high calorie treat is a problem if it's not a regular thing.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    I have no idea how many calorie are in each food I eat...do you guys honestly look up every food so you know!? Ain't nobody got time for that! Seriously though...if you are THAT diligent and dedicated my hat is off to you and that's prob why you're skinny and I'm chubby hehe.
    When you're a calorie counter, yeah!  I know every single calorie that enters my body, right down to what 5 grams of ketchup is. Otherwise there would be no point in counting, it wouldn't be accurate.

But no, I wouldn't care about DQ and other kids. I probably wouldn't notice. When we go out for ice cream, it's a treat. It's not done all the time.  My DD never even finished any ice cream she gets.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    Holy cow I glazed over the part where you called her out on it. That surprises me from you Arnegard. I'd be pissed if I was her.

• Options
    I am laughing that you are judging someone for doing the same thing you did but "worse" and calling her out on it was planin obnoxious and would make me very uncomfortable around you. It really makes you look like you have some major food issues.
  • Options
    I am laughing that you are judging someone for doing the same thing you did but "worse" and calling her out on it was planin obnoxious and would make me very uncomfortable around you. It really makes you look like you have some major food issues.

I apparently looked way too quickly last night and missed the part that she said something. As usual lately, I agree with AG that if a friend said this to me id find it kind of hypocritical, laugh and think to myself shes got some food isdued. I still have a difficult time coming to terms with the fact I continuously agree with AG though.
  • Options
    lightgetsinlightgetsin member
    edited September 2013
    I definitely wouldn't have said anything to the parents. It is their business what they feed their kids.

Personally, when it comes to food and childhood or adult obesity I truly believe this type of "buy one get one half off" scenario is where it starts. I really only need a small, so that's what I buy.

As consumers we are always looking for a deal and I think it's sad that the fast food industry has taken this and run with it at the expense of people's health.

I also think it's sad there are so many people out there who are so easily manipulated.
  • Options
    cjcouple said:

tmsgrl said:

I definitely wouldn't have said anything to the parents. It is their business what they feed their kids.

Personally, when it comes to food and childhood or adult obesity I truly believe this type of "buy one get one half off" scenario is where it starts. I really only need a small, so that's what I buy.

As consumers we are always looking for a deal and I think it's sad that the fast food industry has taken this and run with it at the expense of people's health.

I also think it's sad there are so many people out there who are so easily manipulated.

But you don't need a small either. You could skip it all together. Lol

It's not up to the restaurants to make people healthy. People have free will and make the choice the get a bigger size. I think it is unfair to blame the restaurants.
    I don't REALLY need any size of ice cream but if I am going to order one it makes more sense to order a size that I can eat and still have room for healthy calories that my body actually needs. That is how I look at a treat like that for me or my kids.

As far as blaming restaurants....I would never blame someone other than myself for making poor eating decisions. Unfortunately though, there are so many uneducated people out there who are easily manipulated.

• Options
    I wouldn't judge because the first thing that came to my mind when I read it was " oh crap, I'm glad they're not going home with me. Sugar rushhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!"
  • Options
    letranger said:
    I'd pay the extra money for the smaller size. My guy would eat it ALL he loves ice cream so we limit. He shares a small whatever with me. I take bigger spoonfuls.

Same here. DS got my sweet tooth and he would down the whole thing. I'm also with cj on it not being the restaurants fault that you ate a 500 calorie super duper giant ice cream with hot fudge and got fat.

• Options
    edited September 2013

No.  I doubt they ate it all and if it was cheaper in the end I would have gotten it too. I doubt they eat it everyday and they'll be the ones cleaning up the vomit later, not you.

ETA:  I totally missed that you actually said something to her about it!  Whoa. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    You said in the post though that you guys were friends, you didn't call out a stranger for her food choices. I'd say something to my friend if the thought struck me... we're open like that.
    Exactly Hav.  She is the kind of friend that I would go to dinner with and she'd laugh at me if I ordered the most unhealthy dish on the menu.  She was also the one to bring me a Frappacino to the hospital when DH fell.  We are on the marathon relay team together this month.  
  • Options
    KateMW said:
    What was the look on your "friend's" face when you said something to her? I'd not expect another DQ date anytime soon.
    She laughed and told me she was hungry.  She hadn't even ordered yet by the time we were done and left.
  • Options
    It really makes you look like you have some major food issues.
    I have food issues and I know it.
  • Options
    KC_13 said:

I definitely don't think that much when it comes to kids treats. If I were going to be charged the same price for small or medium I'd go with the medium too. If the kids didn't finish it I would. :)

This.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    provwifeprovwife member
    edited September 2013
    No.

I wouldn't even care enough to look at what size they ordered let alone judge them for it. AND you are thinking about it/judging them so much that you posted it on The Bump....that's rather intense.

I judge you.
  • Options
    No i wouldnt judge that! Thats dumb. Who cares what size ice cream they/there kids are eatting. Seriously..
  • Options
    Arnegard said:
    Hav=Fath said:
    You said in the post though that you guys were friends, you didn't call out a stranger for her food choices. I'd say something to my friend if the thought struck me... we're open like that.
    Exactly Hav.  She is the kind of friend that I would go to dinner with and she'd laugh at me if I ordered the most unhealthy dish on the menu.  She was also the one to bring me a Frappacino to the hospital when DH fell.  We are on the marathon relay team together this month.  

You guys have odd friendships. If I were out eating with my friend, her kids and mine I'd never criticize what she was choosing to feed them. If a friend said something like that to me we wouldn't be friends much longer.
  • Options
    Honestly, if the kids were grossly overweight and I knew they regularly ate crap, I'd probably judge in my head. I get angry for obese children when it's clear that their parent's bad choices are setting them up for a lifetime of health problems. If they were just average, healthy kids getting a treat, I wouldn't. I buy my kids ice cream at least a couple times a month and don't think twice about it. 

Speaking of which, I drove through A&W and got root beer floats to celebrate my son's first successful wee of kindergarten, and holy crap! The small was gigantic! I was thinking they would come in a little 10 oz. cup or something, but it had to be at least 20. 

• Options
    I won't do it. Reese seriously eats a tablespoon-maybe 2 of ice cream before we are done. We went to DQ the other night and had maybe 10 licks and was done. I do wish they had tiny sizes for kids-the kids small is way too big for us.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    I won't do it. Reese seriously eats a tablespoon-maybe 2 of ice cream before we are done. We went to DQ the other night and had maybe 10 licks and was done. I do wish they had tiny sizes for kids-the kids small is way too big for us.
    I know.  My older kids would eat a cone, no problem.  Dylan is not an ice cream eater.  She would rather eat an empty cone, seriously.
  • Options
    Arnegard said:
    I know.  My older kids would eat a cone, no problem.  Dylan is not an ice cream eater.  She would rather eat an empty cone, seriously.
    Dh's cousin works on the boardwalk and Kohrs. She gives Reese free ice cream. I love getting Reese ice cream there, she puts about 2-3 tablespoons in the cup, which is the perfect amount for her. No waste!
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    I would judge....but just because DQ ice cream is gross refrozen and I bet those kids didn't eat it all. Seriously though, @arnegard, I'm not going to judge someone else for judging. That's just too much effort.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"