May 2012 Moms
Options

Walking??

bellelambbellelamb member
edited August 2013 in May 2012 Moms
Reading other posts has me wondering how many may bairs aren't walking yet? Lucas walked young so it's been almost six months since he started so its funny for me to think of him not walking.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled

Re: Walking??

• Options
    My lo is not walking but he also crawled late. I'm torn since he is heavy I want him to walk but then I hear you are forever chasing them so I guess I should enjoy getting to sit and relax for the time being
  • Options
    She is just starting to walk now. She has walked the furniture and while holding our hands for months but only recently has gotten up the courage to do it on her own. She took her first steps a month ago and then didn't take any for a couple of weeks. Nw she is taking a few steps at a time multiple times a day but she absolutely refuses to walk when the camera is out. Her new thing is to walk on her knees instead of crawling.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Walking and I love it. Watching her bowed legs toddle off cracks me up everytime!
    Tara
  • Options
    DD just started a couple of weeks ago. She was a late crawler too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Funny this reminds me that I was convinced lo would walk before he'd crawl because he took two steps before he ever crawled. Boy was I wrong! :-)
  • Options
    My daughter took her first steps at 14 months and just started walking this week, about 1 month later. She was a late crawler, 10 months old. I thought this day may never come!
  • Options

My LO turned 15 months on August 18th and he cannot walk or even stand unassisted. He also doesn't pull up on anything on his own, except sort of in the bath tub when he is mad and wants out... we try to stand him up holding onto the sofa frequently, but he doesn't cruise or make any attempt to push away. In fact, he gets mad if we try to pull his arms away to get him to stand on his own.

Anyone else's baby not standing either? He actually still doesn't really crawl (the normal way). He has this scoot thing he does while sitting normal he literally kind of bobs up and down and he can move surprisingly fast wherever he wants to go. Most people that see his method comment that they have never seen a baby move around in such an odd way. It's pretty hilarious...

• Options
    Mine started walking about a month ago.  He crawled late though.  My DD crawled at 6 months and walked at 12 months so these things seemed late to me with DS.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    Esbi25 said:

My LO turned 15 months on August 18th and he cannot walk or even stand unassisted. He also doesn't pull up on anything on his own, except sort of in the bath tub when he is mad and wants out... we try to stand him up holding onto the sofa frequently, but he doesn't cruise or make any attempt to push away. In fact, he gets mad if we try to pull his arms away to get him to stand on his own.

Anyone else's baby not standing either? He actually still doesn't really crawl (the normal way). He has this scoot thing he does while sitting normal he literally kind of bobs up and down and he can move surprisingly fast wherever he wants to go. Most people that see his method comment that they have never seen a baby move around in such an odd way. It's pretty hilarious...

Not to be an alarmist but what does your pedi say? I thought if they weren't pulling up or cruising or standing by 12 months they started to take notice.

• Options
    Well his 15 month appointment is in like a week and a half, so it will be interesting to see what they say. I think at his last appointment I told them he was trying to pull up occasionally and in the bath tub and they seemed satisfied that he was making progress.

I feel slightly concerned, but at the same time, he definitely doesn't seem to have any physical limitations. I think he is just kind of a scaredy cat and overly cautious. He's such a character, really. Sweet as can be when he is happy, but as soon as someone tries to get him to do something he doesn't like (like walk), he lets you know :)

• Options
    He may be like my middle not going to try until he's sure he can do it 100%
  • Options
    bellelamb said:

. This is exactly how DD is. We knew she was capable of doing stuff long before she would put any effort into it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Esbi25Esbi25 member
    edited September 2013
    ELF4321 said:

bellelamb said:

. This is exactly how DD is. We knew she was capable of doing stuff long before she would put any effort into it!
    Yeah, I think that is definitely my son. If we are lying in bed for nap time, he will climb and crawl all over me, yet he still has never actually crawled normally across the floor. It's obvious he can do it, but that doesn't mean he wants to :)

• Options
    DD has been walking since 10 months. 
  • Options
    I would have liked to have had a longer period of just crawling. DD started crawling when she was almost 7 months and then a week after she turned 9 months she started walking. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

• Options
    bellelamb said:
    This was DD. I was also one of those who thought she'd walk before she'd crawl because she showed no interest in crawling and only wanted to scoot along the furniture. So not the case. She crawled for a while and you could tell she was interested in walking, but not confident enough to try. Then when she finally got up her courage to walk she never looked back. Now I have to chase her everywhere and she has no fear climbing things and going down the slide at the park face first. :S
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Esbi25 said:

This sounds exactly like my daughter. At her 12 month well baby she was only scooting. Could not go from laying to sitting by herself, was making no effort at crawling, couldn't pull herself up, etc. So her pedi suggested an eval by a physical therapist for gross motor delay. She began PT with the gross motor skills of a 9 month old. Nothing is physically wrong with her, she is just lazy and needed a "kick start" as the doctor would say. At 14 months she began crawling, pulling herself up onto her feet, and climbing stairs all within a week of each other! They expect her to begin taking steps on her own within the next 2-3 weeks and then she will be discharged. Maybe you could ask your pediatrician about an evaluation? They really catch up pretty quick once they start from what I've heard.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Esbi25 said:

This sounds exactly like my daughter. At her 12 month well baby she was only scooting. Could not go from laying to sitting by herself, was making no effort at crawling, couldn't pull herself up, etc. So her pedi suggested an eval by a physical therapist for gross motor delay. She began PT with the gross motor skills of a 9 month old. Nothing is physically wrong with her, she is just lazy and needed a "kick start" as the doctor would say. At 14 months she began crawling, pulling herself up onto her feet, and climbing stairs all within a week of each other! They expect her to begin taking steps on her own within the next 2-3 weeks and then she will be discharged. Maybe you could ask your pediatrician about an evaluation? They really catch up pretty quick once they start from what I've heard.

Oh wow, yeah my mom who babysits mentioned reading about the possibility of PT. We are interested to see what they will say on Monday. I guess PT couldn't hurt. We try to find ways to motivate him, but I'm sure an expert would have some better ideas.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"