March 2014 Moms

Do you think baby needs a closet?

We live in a city condo, and actually have a really nice sized second bedroom where baby will live. The only problem is the closet-- it's already mine! DH uses the small closet in our bedroom, and I use the bigger closet in the second bedroom. It's also where I store all our linens, so baby doesn't get a spot in the closet, for sure. So here's my question-- do you think we should get some kind of armoire/wardrobe that has shelves/drawers and a place to hang things? Or do you think a nice sized dresser would be ok? The benefit of the dresser is we would use it for a changing table, too. If we get an armoire, it'll be great storage space, but I'm not sure we have extra space for a changing table. What do you experienced moms think? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Re: Do you think baby needs a closet?

• It honestly depends on how much stuff the baby will have. I think a nice sized dresser will do for clothes. But do you ave a place to store the rest of baby stuff? 

• DS's closet is full of non-baby stuff, but we've also stored baby stuff in there as needed. We have a dresser with a changing topper and all his clothes/cloth diapers are in the drawers.
        image  image

• Loading the player...
  • This will sound dumb but it may actually depend on whether you have a boy or a girl.

For DS, I put most of his clothes in his dresser. All he wears are sleepers and onesies (in the early months), and now casual shirts and pants. I do hang some shirts and jackets in his closet because he has one, but I always forget about them. Coats and snowsuits are hung in our coat closet.

I imagine with a girl, you might have more dresses and things that you'd prefer to hang? Idunno.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • We did a small wardrobe until she was about 1 and she outgrew it. So we had to get a larger one (from Ikea). I don't know what I would do without it. We have two dressers with a decent amount of extra space in them. Honestly, I would do a wardrobe/closet and ditch the changing table. The floor or bed with a changing pad are good alternatives.

• My baby's bedroom has a small closet which I'm sure I will utilize for dresses (if it's a girl) but I also plan on getting a small dresser with drawers for other things like shirts, sleepers, onesies, etc. 
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • i didn't have a closet in DD's room but bought something that allowed for storage and to hang things.

I liked to hang dresses for special occasions, and the next size ups clothes.
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Our house is super small and MH uses in the dog room/baby room closet. We have a full size dresser and bookshelf for baby and we are just going to have to make that enough! Baby will also be sharing his/her room with the dogs...we will see how well that works, lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have limited closet space in our house too so we are getting a second hand hutch (ones that are normally in kitchen) that can go against a wall for storage of all things baby.  Open area will be breast pump, diaper warmer and probably put hooks on it for outfits for the next day or 2.  upper cabinets more clothes, lower for extra clothing, wipes and cloth diaper stuff

Atleast....thats the plan ^_^

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • DD's closet is full and so is her dresser :/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyFetus Ticker
  • For my DS, I hung all of his clothes up separated by size. All of his current clothes are in a dresser and the closet has the too big stuff. It might be different with dresses though.
  • I think the primary factor in how much storage space you need for baby is how able you will be to keep only the current stuff handy.  If you're willing to buy as the old gets used up/outgrown (clothes, diapers, toys, formula if you use it) and get rid of stuff as soon as it's no longer in season or fitting - then I think you can easily get by with just a dresser.

Most of the baby rooms I see have bins everywhere of clothes that don't fit any more that the parents intend to sort and store/sell/donate as well as stockpiles of diapers - clothes that don't fit, toys that don't get played with etc.  It seems to be a nearly universal condition with busy parents of quickly growing babies - do you think you'll be able to avoid it?
  • I think you do. My girls have 2 full closets of clothes! ahh!!! BUT, I personally prefer to hang things up than fold them. I have practically nothing in drawers. I think things get too messy too easily. We use a dresser for a changing table...but 2 drawers are for CD's and the other is for bibs/socks.
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
  • Thank you guys, this gives me a lot to think about! We're going to try to stay team green, so we'll have to decide a gender nuteral idea. Sounds like more people recommend somewhere to hang things. It'll be interesting to see what types of furniture are available out there. We've already heard from friends that having babies in the city you have to really try to limit how much extra stuff you hvae, so I'll have to attempt to be careful about that. Easier said than done, I'm sure!
  • It might be ok as a baby, but what happens as baby gets older?

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.

Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • hmmm...It would be tough to me without a closet. I use an armoire but I'm not currently using the hanging space for clothes. I don't think I could fit all of the clothes that are hanging in the entire piece--I'd have to only hang a few things and then I don't think I'd have drawer space for all the other stuff that currently hangs. I also have a lot of stuff in the closet--toys, gadgets I don't use yet, and bins of clothes she's outgrown but I don't want to get rid of until I know if we'll have another girl. I use a changing table and have bins for diapers, wipes/diaper cream, burp cloths and bibs and extra changing pad covers. You'd also need room for extra sheets/mattress pads somewhere. I think you could make it work if you only have current sizes and maintain a small wardrobe for baby (mine isn't huge)--but I still would need a place for all the other stuff that's in the closet.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• DEL14 said:
    Our house is super small and MH uses in the dog room/baby room closet. We have a full size dresser and bookshelf for baby and we are just going to have to make that enough! Baby will also be sharing his/her room with the dogs...we will see how well that works, lol. 

I agree, whatever we choose, we're just going to have to make it enough! I figure there are kids being raised in much smaller apartments in places like NYC, so we'll be just fine :)
  • Our baby will not have their closet, we live in a trailer / mobile home which is a 2 bedroom but not a lot for storage so the "spare room" closet is full! Blankets, storage totes etc! I see nothing wrong with simply using a dresser, the only thing hanging are little snow suits ;)
  • Hey @babycaps! Yes, I'm in Chicago, too. I was hoping I wasn't the only one on this board. I used to hang out on the Nest "What's Cooking" board a few years back, and there were always tons of chicago ladies on there. Do you guys plan to stay in the city? We do... though I do know when it gets to the school years we'll have to deal with the suburbs if we need to. Hoping for good magnet school options, or a big pay raise to afford private schools :) Thankfully, we have a decent sized condo, so we should be ok here for mutlipe years still.
  • I'm in the same boat OP. we have one small closet between two bedrooms, which I am using, while H uses an adjustable hanging rack and dresser. I'm leaning more toward armoire because of the added hanging space. I just hope we can find a place to put it because the roof makes two walls shorter than the others.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LadyTylerLadyTyler member
    edited September 2013
    I'm chiming in late but this is what we did:

At 16 months, it is still working well for us. I used baskets to hold non-hanging misc. items like shoes, socks, hats, blankets to make it a little more organized. I only hang nicer outfits because we also have a dresser/changing table combo that I use for throwing in onesies, casual pants and shirts, and holding changing supplies.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ladyTyler, that's great! Did you rig it up yourself from a bookshelf? Or buy it that way? I like that as an in-between option!
  • I did it myself--it is really easy! The only detail you need to make sure of is that your bookcase is deep enough to fit baby hangers (I had an old one in storage that was not.)

All you need to make it into a "closet" is to get a tension curtain rod (or two depending on how much hanging space you want) that fits your bookcase. Then arrange the shelves around the rods/clothing as works for you. Voila! A bookcase closet that can become a normal bookcase again once LO outgrows it.

The one pictured has wallpaper applied to the back which is nice and fancies it up, but I didn't do that and left ours plain. I am considering adding fabric (which you spray glue to the backing) or wallpaper to the one for Nate when I make another matching one for this new LO.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I personally think for now a dresser would be enough for clothes storage. DS has a fairly large closet and the hanging racks don't have a whole lot of clothes on them. I have more baby stuff in there that he's outgrown than clothes he actually wears. That would be the other problem I think you'd encounter--no storage for toys, outgrown items, etc.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• I'm a crazy coupon lady and LO's closet is filled with diapers and wipes lol
  • We are in the same boat, DH office is gonna be LO's nursery. I have 2 dressers and some shelving space and I hope that's gonna be enough. I am hoping that anything that must be hung can fit into my closet of our coat closet!
  • I've always hung all of my LOs' clothes. I can't stand how folded items end up with creases in them. I use their dressers for socks and undies, PJs and bed linens. This new baby won't have its own closet, but all of our closets are walk-ins and there's plenty of extra space in my kids' closets, so they can share.
    Bubba, born Jan. 2007 * Sissy, born Apr. 2009 * Baby Sister, born Feb. 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"