April 2014 Moms

Harmony Test, Anyone?

So we had our first appointment with the nurse. Since we are already planning on doing early screening, she suggested we can elect to do the harmony test. She gave us a brochure and said we could ask the doctor more about it at the next appointment. Apparently it's a blood test plus the ultrasound, but it doesn't carry the risk of fetal demise that CVS and the amnio does.

I mean, it sounds perfect and like a no-brainer. But it IS new, b/c my OB didn't offer this when I had my DS less than 2 years ago.

So I'm wondering if anyone else is getting this, or if anyone else has heard of this test and has an opinion about it. Or even, does anyone's OB not offer this b/c they don't think the test is good or something like that?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

Re: Harmony Test, Anyone?

• My ob offers it but since I'm having twins he did not recommend it. Like any of the tests it's not 100%. If I wasn't having twins I would probably do it but if it came back positive I wouldn't do an amnio.
    Mom to 10 year old DS and 7 year old DD. Twin girls coming soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My OB gave me the info, said she will do it if/when she has one on the way.

I think I'll pass because, while a negative result would be reassuring, a positive result from BOTH me & DH only gives LO a 1 in 4 chance of having whatever the issue is. That's enough to stress me out, but I really don't imagine ever agreeing to an amnio (I already has a m/c and can't stomach the idea if increasing the chances, even just a little bit), which means I'd just be left with stress and a 25% chance of a problem. Personally, I'd rather not know.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Loading the player...
  • I believe this is the same type of test as the Panorama test. A lot of insurance companies don't cover them yet from what I hear and they are very new. I was leaning towards a Panorama myself but it looks like the Harmony tests also tells you the sex of your child which I don't believe the Panorama does outright.

https://www.panoramatest.com/

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I believe the Harmony test is the same as the Panorama or MaterniT21. I am having the Panorama done instead of the traditional NT scan +'quad screen (which are also noninvasive but only give you your odds for chromosomal abnormalities - not a 99.9% yes or no). Even if our insurance doesn't cover it (which it likely will not as I am no AMA and we have no family history of trisomies), it is only $145. Worth it to us to know definitively.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • ksulli said:
    My OB gave me the info, said she will do it if/when she has one on the way.

I think I'll pass because, while a negative result would be reassuring, a positive result from BOTH me & DH only gives LO a 1 in 4 chance of having whatever the issue is. That's enough to stress me out, but I really don't imagine ever agreeing to an amnio (I already has a m/c and can't stomach the idea if increasing the chances, even just a little bit), which means I'd just be left with stress and a 25% chance of a problem. Personally, I'd rather not know.

These tests don't looks for your DNA they actually pull your child's DNA (intermingled in your blood in strong enough qualities to be detectable by 10 weeks).

So a positive test would mean that your child, in fact, has the genetic markers not that there is a 25% chance your child has them. An amnio would be required to confirm defects (if terminating) but otherwise these tests are accurate and not just predictors of likely outcomes based off your parental DNA.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • AcaAwkwardAcaAwkward member
    edited September 2013
    I'd check with your provider about prices...my OB's lab only charges $145 for the Panorama. And the Panorama does tell the sex as well.
  • AcaAwkward apparently the Panorama tells the sex but the method is not deemed accurate enough by current testing standards so there can be false results in that area. The prices are the pre-insurance prices that the testing companies charge, it may not be what you end up paying yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @playingonadream- thanks for the clarification- I must be referencing a different test I was offered. There are SO many.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • summershantysummershanty member
    edited September 2013
    I'm having the Panorama done because that's what my doctor offers (in addition to the NT Scan).  A friend of mine is doing the Harmony cause that's what her doctor offers (in addition to the NT scan).  My insurance will cover these types of tests if you have one of a few conditions, and one of them is being 35 or older at delivery (which I am) .
  • The way I feel about it is that it depends what you plan to do with the results. If you are going to keep your baby anyway why put yourself through it? The research you could do wouldn't be as beneficial as what your doctor can hook you up with and plans never work out anyway. Personally I don't want any added stress but this is a very personal decision that only you and your hubby can make b sure to include him on the decision.

• ksulli said:

My OB gave me the info, said she will do it if/when she has one on the way.

I think this is the Counsyl test. My OB offers that one as well.
  • I'm doing the NT test.  Did it with DD and am having the first part done in 2 weeks.
  • Getting the NT test was all that I was offered last time, which does have a pretty high false positive rate. The Harmony test is supposed to be 99% accurate but without the risk of MC.

For me, I did the NT test last time b/c either way I still want whatever info I can get NOW, rather than be blindsided on the delivery day, though I understood the false positive rate. However, if it's true that this Harmony test is 99% accurate but doesn't have the risk of MC from the CVS or amnio, then it sounds perfect. But I'm definitely asking b/c you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true....

\image  image

• Getting the NT test was all that I was offered last time, which does have a pretty high false positive rate. The Harmony test is supposed to be 99% accurate but without the risk of MC.

For me, I did the NT test last time b/c either way I still want whatever info I can get NOW, rather than be blindsided on the delivery day, though I understood the false positive rate. However, if it's true that this Harmony test is 99% accurate but doesn't have the risk of MC from the CVS or amnio, then it sounds perfect. But I'm definitely asking b/c you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true....

Your info is correct. The new DNA tests are amazing. Definitely check with your OB / insurance about coverage and price though. My OB only charges $145 (w/o ins coverage), but I have friends who have asked and would have to pay the full pharm co price ($1500).
  •  

Getting the NT test was all that I was offered last time, which does have a pretty high false positive rate. The Harmony test is supposed to be 99% accurate but without the risk of MC.

Your info is correct. The new DNA tests are amazing. Definitely check with your OB / insurance about coverage and price though. My OB only charges $145 (w/o ins coverage), but I have friends who have asked and would have to pay the full pharm co price ($1500).
    That's such a good point!

\image  image

• I'm getting this test instead of the regular blood test that is offered.  Because of my AMA, it is fully covered by my insurance.  From everything I've read and what I've learned from genetics counseling, it is pretty darn accurate. 

• At leastfor the Materniti21 test, if insurance doesn't pay it, the company subsidizes it and you won't pay more than $245

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ksulli No problem! There are tests that use you and the father to determine likelihood and then some that use baby's DNA. It can all be really confusing but I'd hate for you not to get answers because the differences weren't clearly spelled out for you :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"