Multiples
Options

Difference btwn chrono and adjusted age

Hi all,

I can't seem to find any info on the cut off for needing to adjust the twins' age. I'm 37w2d today, and less i go into labor on my own this weekend, I have a scheduled induction and will deliver at 37w6d. Would i still have to deduct 2 weeks from chrono age to arrive at their actual age for early milestone targets, etc, or is anything after 37 basically the same thing at 40 weeks?

I'm sorry in advance if this question is insensitive/obnoxious to those with significant differences btwn chrono and adjusted. I'm reading a twins sleep training book and they break it down by weeks, calling each week "X week post due date." I'm just trying to figure out which to follow. TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Difference btwn chrono and adjusted age

• Options
    Really good question. Folowing.

• Options
    37w is full term and no adjustment is needed beyond that point.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Exactly what Missa G said. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have 4 children born at 35 weeks and never adjusted their ages. But I also never thought of them or treated them as 'preemies' either, which is the opposite I see many many people doing.

I have triplets born at 32 weeks and they have an adjusted age but I only think of it medically. Like for dr's and when they hit milestones a little later. I never ever ever would have introduced them or told regular people "Oh, they're 10 months real, 8 months adjusted". But I obviously feel very differently about the whole preemie thing than other people do. 

Your reply came off as ridiculously judgmental and rude.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Options
    Missa_g said:
    I have 4 children born at 35 weeks and never adjusted their ages. But I also never thought of them or treated them as 'preemies' either, which is the opposite I see many many people doing.

I have triplets born at 32 weeks and they have an adjusted age but I only think of it medically. Like for dr's and when they hit milestones a little later. I never ever ever would have introduced them or told regular people "Oh, they're 10 months real, 8 months adjusted". But I obviously feel very differently about the whole preemie thing than other people do. 

Your reply came off as ridiculously judgmental and rude.
    I don't see how that came off as rude. To me she's saying she treats the 32 weekers the same as her other children but when it comes to the drs and such with milestones she uses the adjusted age. Am I missing something here? 

I have often wondered why some people refer to adjusted age and others don't. As if there was a cut off week that you use it before and not after. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Didn't seem rude to me either. I don't see the necessity of adjusting ages so much for development when babies are born just a few weeks early since so many children develop at different rates anyway.
  • Options
    Mine were born at 37&1 - they were full term and hit their milestones on target with their actual age as if they were born at 40w.

HOWEVER - when it came to sleep development, I found adjusting those 2-3 weeks was key, especially for the first 9 months or so. They were definitely sleepier the first few weeks until they hit their due date - 2 weeks extra when you're only 2 weeks old is a big difference. So if you're reading books like The Wonder Weeks (highly, highly recommend it!) they suggest adjusting for due date because it does make a difference in the early days. 
  • Options
    Great info all, thank you so much!!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"