Pregnant after 35

First US timing

With my previous two pregnancies, I only had one US at 20 weeksish. Now I am pregnant at 37. I already scheduled my 20 week US, but my sister who goes to the same OB/MW practice insists that when she was pregnant at 38, she had to have an earlier US because of her age. I'm not sure if they missed this or if they just changed how they do things, but I'm just wondering what most of you had. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: First US timing

• LucyRicardo3LucyRicardo3 member
    edited September 2013
    It's somewhat common to have a NT Scan offered around 11-13 weeks where the space behind the baby's neck is measured, among other things. The bonus for that is that you get to see your LO squirming around in there.
    This scan has to been done within that time window or the measurements are not reliable.

ETA: The NT scan measurements are used to determine "possible" presence of Downs Syndrome (trisomy 21), and is typically compiled with information from a series of blood draws (Quad Screen) that check for levels of certain proteins in your blood. The numbers are put into an algorithm and they give you information on the risk of the baby having T21. This test is recommended, but you can decline. 

There are some very new blood tests available within the past year or so that use a blood draw from you (similar to any other typical blood test) yet it screens out for the fetal DNA and is highly more reliable than the quad screen. Look up MaterniT21, Harmony, Panorama, Verifi, and I can't remember some of the other names. Basically same test, but brand name depends on the lab that processes it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• This test is recommended, but you can decline. 

There are some very new blood tests available within the past year or so that use a blood draw from you (similar to any other typical blood test) yet it screens out for the fetal DNA and is highly more reliable than the quad screen. Look up MaterniT21, Harmony, Panorama, Verifi, and I can't remember some of the other names. Basically same test, but brand name depends on the lab that processes it.
    We did the Verifi blood test and because of that, our genetic counselor did not feel it necessary to do the NT scan. So my first ultrasound wouldn't be until the anatomy scan at 18-20 weeks (I'm 37).

Totally as an aside: I signed up for a study today and as part of it, will be getting a free dating ultrasound! We'll get to see our baby girl for the first time! 

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Loading the player...
  • Some practices do ultrasounds for better due date estimation, just depends on the practice and how reliable your lmp date is.  For instance my lmp would make my edd 3/22/14 but by ultrasound my edd is 4/05/14, I will also have NT ultrasound during 12th wk and then anatomy scan around 18wks, then they expect a few more later ultrasounds ?.. I can always decline them and as some will be out of pocket I may decline some 3rd trimester ultrasounds but then again who can refuse another glimpse of LO?  I suggest you call and ask them what they generally do and make sure if you want the NT you are scheduled within the guidelines, I think 11wks to 13wks 3 days - not sure about those exact time frames so research/ask your office

• Thanks, all. I did call the OB's office and yes, like some of you said, I just didn't realize that one of the optional, early screenings was an US. My sister must have elected to do it but I declined it. Thanks for your time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm late replying but yes, it can get confusing figuring out what all the screenings are! Best of luck to you!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"