Los Angeles Babies

Good community to buy a home in LA?

7 months ago, my husbands job was transferred to LA from the east coast. We only had two months to make the move, so we rented a place in Burbank after a 36 hr whirlwind weekend trip. Burbank is OK, but I'm not sure I really want to settle down here. I like suburbia life best for sure. The beach towns are lovely but too expensive. We have two daughters, one 2 and one 6 months. With a budget of 500k, can anyone reccomend a nice place to settle down and buy a house? We want to be in range of an easy commute to downtown (that's one of the perks to living in Burbank). I'm most concerned with good schools, family friendly and a close commute. Any thought/suggestions/opinions?

Re: Good community to buy a home in LA?

• wedseptwedsept member
    I personally don't think you can buy a home in a "good" part of suburbia LA for 500K.  Maybe a townhome or condo.  For a townhome or condo, you can search in Glendale, La Crescenta, Pasadena, Montrose.  Valley Village is also an option, but would be a longer commute to downtown. 
  • Granada hills is nice as well, how about searching Zillow.com It gives a great comparison with whats for sale and the school and neighborhood reviews are useful. We used that service to find a home in the Pasadena arera but if you need to travel to DTLA often I do have to warn you that traffic from here is a real pain, Luckily both DH and I work in the city as well. Good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • There are plenty of great places.  There are a lot of things to factor in when you are looking in LA.... make sure to think about the commute.  We just bought a 3br 2ba home in the Valley for under 500k.  Let me know if you need a good broker....
  • Come up here to Santa Clarita!   Low crime, excellent school system, tons of family stuff to do, and nice houses!  

Hubby commutes to Hollywood and I commute to North Hollywood every day.  There's a Metrolink train, too.   It's worth the drive to live up here.  We love it.

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • We bought in Pasadena and we both work in downtown.  It takes us 20 minutes and, if you live in certain areas, it's really easy to take the train.  You can definitely get something great for 500k.  Good luck!  My agent was amazing if you want his info.
  • ^ yikes thats rough. A ton of successful people live in SCV and work down town.
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• I recently bought a house in the Cal Heights/Bixby area of Long Beach for just under your budget. Great family neighborhood. The schools nearby all get excellent ratings. Takes me about 40 minutes everyday to get downtown. I would highly recommend it.
  • I live in a quiet corner of Chatsworth in the hills, and I love it, but it may be too far from downtown for you. I would be tempted to stay in Burbank, myself, maybe just look for a different area of it. They have better schools than Lausd, and it's closer to your work. Valencia is nice, but last I heard about homeowners living there, the city has a lot of rules regarding your property which can be tough for some. It's been years, so that may have changed, I just remember hearing a story about the city going after a family because they had a swing set which was bright blue, and the neighbors found it distracting, so the city kept fining them to take it down. This was in the 90s I think, so it may have relaxed a bit by now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"