January 2013 Moms
Options

Severe Diaper Rash... help!

Anyone have the magical cure for severe diaper rash? Have been trying air dry, baths, Butt paste to no avail. My poor baby is so red and sore and has had it for almost a week.

Re: Severe Diaper Rash... help!

• Options
    Air drying as much as possible is the best thing, diaper rash thrives on dark and moist and thats exactly what happens when you put a diaper on. Use something with Max Zinc Oxide (usually about 40%) Triple paste works too.  Don't use wipes, it makes it worse and hurts the poor baby. We patted with a wet cotton ball instead.
    photo 521774ac-531f-42f9-9325-82efbf569d9f_zps25965887.jpg<photo b8da4dd1-ab31-4567-8e47-1eed1489f7ee_zps7c71559e.jpgbr>

• Options

My doctor/friend gave us the miracle homemade diaper rash recipe. It's awesome.

Use one entire tube of A&D diaper rash cream, a entire tube of Bacitracin (this is a smaller tube), entire tube of Lotramin AF, and 2 Tablespoon of liquid Malox (I used the no flavor kind). I used a small glass container with a lid, put it all together and stirred it really really well. It will feel a bit greasy on your skin, it takes warm water to wash your hands after you apply it. It sounds weird but it cleared up DS's rash with one treatment.

Also, the airing out is important, we try and do at least 5 minutes every day.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If diaper rash ointment isn't helping it could be a yeast infection.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ==N== said:
    If diaper rash ointment isn't helping it could be a yeast infection.

This too...call your pedi, you can get a prescription.

Anniversary

• Options
    we are using Lotrimin Antifungal cream as well, in case it is a yeast infection. Jobiann - thanks, I may try that.

• Options
    jobiann said:

My doctor/friend gave us the miracle homemade diaper rash recipe. It's awesome.

Use one entire tube of A&D diaper rash cream, a entire tube of Bacitracin (this is a smaller tube), entire tube of Lotramin AF, and 2 Tablespoon of liquid Malox (I used the no flavor kind). I used a small glass container with a lid, put it all together and stirred it really really well. It will feel a bit greasy on your skin, it takes warm water to wash your hands after you apply it. It sounds weird but it cleared up DS's rash with one treatment.

Also, the airing out is important, we try and do at least 5 minutes every day.

We are having the same problem, I'll give this a try!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    edited August 2013

Oh, I learned the hard way, don't change a diaper, use this cream with your bare hands, think you washed your hands enough and then go and clean bottles....I did this and I realized the nippes were super slippery...well, the grease from this cream stayed on my fingers even after washing them...and then I transferred them to the bottles. I had to rewash my hands and scrub, then rewash and sanitize all the bottles I had already touched.

Now I wrap a wipe around my fingers, dip that in the cream and put it on DS's butt. Or you could use a cotton ball or something else so that your skin doesn't come in direct contact with the cream.

And like PP stated, if it is a yeast rash, you might have to have a prescription grade cream to get rid of it. We didn't, so we just applied this stuff after every diaper change and slathered it on and the rash was completely gone the next day, it looked great even after just one use. Hope it works well for you!

Anniversary

• Options

We just got over a pretty bad rash and our Dr. recommended (it worked for us) - rub lotrimin on LO bottom until it is all rubbed in then top it off with a think layer of Destin max.  We also put baking soda in LO bath and let her soak.  Another suggestion the Dr. had was to mix 1 part lotrimin, 1 part destin, 1 part Neosporin and rub that on LO bottom  - but for us the 1st recommendation worked with in 3-4 days - Good luck

• Options
    we just had the worst diaper rash....the dc went and bought triple paste and now her tush is shiny and new
    triple paste for the win
    the dr also suggested cortisone twice a day...she had some open sores from all the pooping and wiping
    we also let her splash in a tub of warm water every night
    she cried at every diaper change....so glad it's better now
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We went to the doctor 2 weeks ago for a seriously gross diaper rush. red and bumpy. They prescribed an anti-inflammatory cream because of the inflammation and it was gone within 36 hours!

...first they told us to try a mixture of lotraim, aquafor and cocoa butter, plus corn starch on top...but that didnt really work for this

• Options
    My son had a horrible rash on his head... so bad that it was starting to blister. I tried everything! His pediatrician prescribed a hydrocortisone cream and after the first application, it was completely cleared up. She said they prescribe the same thing for extreme diaper rash. You might want to consider calling and asking his pediatrician about it... they may even call it in without seeing you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"