July 2011 Moms
Options

Remedies for a cold?

Anyone have anything that they use besides the usual Vicks and fluids? We are trying some all natural syrup with melatonin, zerbees I think its called. It tastes awful and DD hates it. Its honey extract that we give her at night. Just looking for some ideas for next time.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our 3 Precious Angels That Left Us Too Soon
BFP #2-EDD 07/05/13 - Tater and Tot passed at 12w3d. D&C 1/17/13
BFP #3-EDD 12/19/13 - Peanut passed at 9w1d. D&C 05/31/13

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid 05/20/13 

BFP #4 - 09/22/13 - DD#2 born 05/27/14

All Alers Welcome!

imageimage

Re: Remedies for a cold?

• Options
    I like those plug in vapour fans and a room humidifier.
    We're just getting over hand, food, mouth disease. There was an outbreak of it in our group of friends. Both my boys and myself got it. It's been hell for a week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We usually stick with the humidifier, spoonfuls of honey and Hyland cold or cough tabs. Sometimes do baby vapo rub on his feet under socks.
    Kid colds are just so sad! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    fannystuffsfannystuffs member
    edited September 2013
    When LO is sick, this is what we do.

Echinacea drops for Kids mixed in with her juice. (Found at whole food stores)

In her night time bath water:
    1/4 c whole milk
    2 drops eucalyptus essential oil
    2 drops lavender/sandalwood mix

Heat milk in microwave, when warm mix in essential oils. Pour into bath water. Have LO remain in bath water for at least 10-15 mins.

Mix 1 oz olive oil (or jojoba, coconut, apricot, any carrier oil) with 3-5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and rub mixture on bottom of feet, chest, and back. Make sure LO wears socks and shirt to bed. You will have plenty of oil mixture to continue doing this before bedtime for about a week or two.

My LO is usually back to normal in 2 days. If yours isn't, on the 7th day do not use any herbs or essential oils. The body needs time to reset. Continue the next day.

Immune system boosting soup:

Boil water (I never measure, it just depends on how much soup you want to make)
    Sautee 1/2 - 1 whole onion and 4-8 cloves of garlic, depends on your taste, in 1 tbs of olive oil.
    Add to boiling water.
    Chop shiitake mushrooms, without the stem, (I usually chop 20-30 mushrooms) and add to boiling water. I usually simmer for about an hour and let sit for another 30 mins. Add miso paste to your own bowl to flavor the soup. Heating the miso in the pot of soup ruins the miso.

My LO has become very picky as to what she eats lately so I just serve her the broth. She won't eat the mushrooms. You can also add celery and cabbage, they help remove toxins from the body.

Hope this helps! :)

image imageimage

"The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing." Psalm 23:1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"