Attachment Parenting
Options

Sidecarring a mini-crib to serve as a cosleeper?

Hello ladies!
We used an Arms Reach co-sleeper with our daughter Basil, though she mostly co-slept until she started sleeping in her crib at just before a year. For a long time we thought we wanted to be one and done, so we no longer have any of her baby stuff. We decided that we want to try for another baby this fall (starting now-ish) and I am looking at our options for sleeping. The new baby would be in our room most likely until almost a year, which works since we live in a very small house currently, and the kids would end up sharing if the baby wasn't in with us. I also plan to EBF like with Basil so co-sleeping just makes sense. I was looking at co-sleepers and cribs, and came across mini-cribs. I never heard of these when Basil was a baby, but they seem like a good compromise between a regular crib and a co-sleeper, especially since our small bedroom is mostly taken up by our king sized bed. The one I was looking at converts to a toddler daybed, which to me seems pretty much like a co-sleeper, if we could somehow sidecar it to the bed.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it sound like a good idea or would we be better off buying a co-sleeper and then a crib?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Sidecarring a mini-crib to serve as a cosleeper?

• Options
    The nice thing about a crib (or mini crib) is that you can usually raise or lower the mattress to be the same level as your mattress, so that the surface of your bed essentially extends into their space if you take off one side of the crib and push it against your bed.

Cosleepers tend to be lower than your bed, which means it requires you to lower your baby slightly into it, which can cause the startle reflex and wake them up. :)

The other nice thing about the crib is that LO can continue sleeping in it and you don't need to worry about transitioning baby as he/she gets bigger.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    The nice thing about a crib (or mini crib) is that you can usually raise or lower the mattress to be the same level as your mattress, so that the surface of your bed essentially extends into their space if you take off one side of the crib and push it against your bed. Cosleepers tend to be lower than your bed, which means it requires you to lower your baby slightly into it, which can cause the startle reflex and wake them up. :) The other nice thing about the crib is that LO can continue sleeping in it and you don't need to worry about transitioning baby as he/she gets bigger.
    That is a good point!  We don't have a frame on our bed though, so I wonder how we could attach it to our bed.. My other thought it using a cradle like this for the first few months, but that would only last until the baby became slightly mobile...image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Emerald27 said:

The nice thing about a crib (or mini crib) is that you can usually raise or lower the mattress to be the same level as your mattress, so that the surface of your bed essentially extends into their space if you take off one side of the crib and push it against your bed.

Cosleepers tend to be lower than your bed, which means it requires you to lower your baby slightly into it, which can cause the startle reflex and wake them up. :)

The other nice thing about the crib is that LO can continue sleeping in it and you don't need to worry about transitioning baby as he/she gets bigger.

That is a good point!  We don't have a frame on our bed though, so I wonder how we could attach it to our bed.. My other thought it using a cradle like this for the first few months, but that would only last until the baby became slightly mobile...image

If your mattress is on the floor, have you considered just putting a toddler mattress or twin mattress next to yours for LO? That could accomplish the same goal.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    Emerald27 said:
    The nice thing about a crib (or mini crib) is that you can usually raise or lower the mattress to be the same level as your mattress, so that the surface of your bed essentially extends into their space if you take off one side of the crib and push it against your bed. Cosleepers tend to be lower than your bed, which means it requires you to lower your baby slightly into it, which can cause the startle reflex and wake them up. :) The other nice thing about the crib is that LO can continue sleeping in it and you don't need to worry about transitioning baby as he/she gets bigger.
    If your mattress is on the floor, have you considered just putting a toddler mattress or twin mattress next to yours for LO? That could accomplish the same goal.
    Well, we have an extend height box-spring under our mattress, so it's not just like a mattress on the floor, it's almost the height of a normal bed with a frame, just without the frame. I also don't like the idea of a mattress on the floor because our dog who sleeps in our room with us may try to cuddle with the baby if not in a crib or something similar. She loves babies. :)
    My biggest issue really is finding something we can have in our room that wont take up a ton of floor space because our room is only like 9.5ft x 9.5ft, so we have very little space around our bed to begin with. We don't even have a dresser for this same reason.

• Options
    We have the same bed set up as you, no fame ,but on the box springs. We set the crib mattress up at the same level as our bed and its just butted up against our mattress. Its great, I love our set up. At first I was thinking of getting a bassinet, but side carring the crib works great and we didn't have to buy anything extra.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"