March 2013 Moms

CIO dropout

After 3 solid weeks of tring the cry it out method, I give up! Every single night there was at least an hour of frantic crying. Sometimes right away, and sometimes during the night. Or both... So now what? He has gotten better at going down tired but awake, but he wakes up so much! some nights every hour and he never self soothes. I usually end up with him sleeping on me which is garunteed to get us both some sleep, but I can't do tat forever and I wake up sore. And as for naps? We're lucky to get him down for 30 minutes in the crib. The only good naps are in the ergo. Maybe I'm just venting here. I realize there's no obvious solution.

Re: CIO dropout

• That is my fear in even attempting CIO. Sometimes he gets so frantic when I just leave him in the crib for a couple of minutes to go use the bathroom I can't imagine how bad he would be if we tried to do that at night. :( sorry it didn't work out
  • Embrace the co-sleeping. You need your rest and so does he. Some make think of it as the "easy" way to deal with sleep issues, but, in our house, it's the only way and the absolute best way. Your baby needs you. I was sore the first week of sleeping with DD, but I've adjusted. Now, I can't imagine not sleeping with her. Follow your instincts, and do what feels right.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I definitely support cio, but I also support following your instinct. If it doesn't feel right for you, then cio may not be the way to go. Maybe co sleep for a little while and give yourself time before your next attempt at sleep training (cio or whatever). Or just continue to co sleep. I have a friend that co slept with both of ger kids and was very happy with it. Heck, I co sleep for naps about half the time. I don't have advice about other methods, just really wanted to say don't beat yourself up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Thanks everyone! You're right, I don't know why I felt like cosleeping was "caving in" or something. He sleeps in the crib for half the night, and ends up in the bed the other half. It's really not a bad thing. We'll get through it!
  • I don't know if this would help at all, but have you tried Ferberizing as opposed to straight up CIO? It's a little more methodical and purposeful, and it is also not recommended for babies that hyperventilate or throw up when crying. To me, that would also mean doing CIO with those babies is a no-no. Have you researched any other sleep training methods? I feel for you! this long without a decent night's sleep would be brutal.
  • CIO works sometimes for us and not other times.  Some nights she will cry for an hour and other times she finds her binkie and rolls over.  I have about 4 in her crib at a time so she is more likely to find one.  I started by going in and giving her a binkie and then leaving her.  It helped to comfort her a little.  My baby monitor has a speaker which I also used once in a while.  I would make the "shh" sound over the monitor instead of going in her room.  It took a while but I think she is getting the hang of it.  
    My dd has to be asleep before I put her to bed.  She will not go down drowsy and has to be asleep for about 10 mins before I can put her down.  CIO does not work for her going to bed.  I enjoy our snuggle time before bed.
    You have to do what works for you.  Don't feel like you failed it is had but eventually you LO will be able to it.  I think it is more important for you and your LO to have sleep then to master CIO right now. Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"