Parenting after 35

Sometimes it's best to just wonder...

So, i am 42 with a 5 month old (my first and only) and have been asked twice in the last two weeks if i was DDs grandma. Seriously? I don't look like a grandma! Anyone else experience this and how did you handle it?

Re: Sometimes it's best to just wonder...

• Also 42. I got it from a WalMart clerk last year. I didn't raise my voice or anything, but I didn't exactly smile when I corrected her either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mwdmwd member
    I got that a few times when DD was little. Chalk it up to maybe sleepless nights, it can make you look tired. Or maybe the person is just a numbskull. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • oh no...I am pregnant with #4 at 37. I have an almost 17yo daughter, will people assume the baby is hers perhaps?
  • I have an 18 yo daughter and and an 18 month old daughter and when we're all out together, yes people assume the baby is hers.  We are VERY quick to correct them as DD1 doesn't want people thinking she's a mom and I don't want people thinking I'm a grandma.  The funny thing is that I also always get people thinking that DD1 and I are sisters so I'm not sure why the assumption is that DD2 is hers.
  • Hasn't happened to me but I've heard of it happening... a lot :(
  • Where I live it is very common to be a grandparent at 40 ( and lots of 40 y/o wanting to be grandmas). Heck I had a patient who was 34 with a 2 y/o grandchild. I can't imagine. I'm 40 with a 3 y/o DD. So far no one has mistaken me for a grandma (at least not to my face :) ). My DH is 51 though and has a lots of grey hairs so I'm sure people think he is a grandpa a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yet another reason I dye my hair.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I'm 41 with a 4yr old and I'm 15 weeks 6 days prego with my second. I'm waiting for someone to say something
  • That sucks. I'm sorry and I'm sure you don't look like a grandma.

But like a PP, it's partially why I dye my hair. I look younger than I am (43 with a 4 year old) and actually shocked one of my aunt's friends when I said my age. They didn't think I was 40 yet. Yay for dye.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I actually dye mine too. Still get it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • aschultz9 said:
    oh no...I am pregnant with #4 at 37. I have an almost 17yo daughter, will people assume the baby is hers perhaps?
    Probably not. I did't get that. I definitely don't get called grandma, but I don't look my age. There are also a lot of older FTMs here though, lots starting over 40 or did. DS has friends whose parents are much much older than I am. Doesn't bother me except the odd one being rude/inappropriate because of my age - but I dismiss, this particular mom lacks tact and maturity anyway. I got the pregnant unmarried teen thing a lot in my 20s.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"