Parenting
Options

Has this been discussed?

Sorry if this has already been posted and I missed it.

Parents "pissed" at IVF twins.

I mean, really, they didn't discuss this with their doctors first?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has this been discussed?

• Options
    I can't say anything even remotely nice about this. I just can't even go there. What twats.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I believe I have read the firsthand articles written by the couple, and it seemed extreme. I can understand having mixed feelings about any pregnancy, but to think you have "ruined" your family after getting exactly what you paid for...seems idiotic.
    Richard Simmons gif
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They should just be happy to be pregnant. For fucks sakes!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    thetheisensthetheisens member
    edited September 2013
    They had to know their odds were greater for twins? (or am I wrong about that?) Even my dh's boss was told when they started trying after their first set of faternal twins that their odds for a second set was actually greater. They had a second set of twins. It just seems like a huge over reaction to say their family is ruined. People get much more dramatic, life changing news about pregnancy and their children than finding out you are having healthy twins. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Totally awful. They paid for this and knew what they were getting into with IVF. The idea of twins is overwhelming to think about, but to say that their family is "ruined" is bullshit.
  • Options
    Wow. This is disgusting. Wishing for one of your children to have a genetic anomaly so you can abort one of them?! Why would you ever write these thoughts out.
  • Options
    Poor babies:( I would love to have just one more baby, but if I got pregnant with twice I would be so excited. Of course I would stress about it, but I just couldn't imagine being unhappy with getting pregnant with twins.
  • Options
    This makes me ragey. I know several ladies who had multiple failed IVF who would love to be blessed with two.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    PP pretty much covered my feelings on this. I get that the people might feel overwhelmed, but to say that they're pissed, angry, that their family is "ruined" is wrong and in very poor taste.

My SIL and her H had three failed IUIs and two failed IVFs. They eventually decided to pursue adoption instead because they were at their limit financially and emotionally. They would have loved to have twins, as would most families who are dealing with infertility. I'm not even going to mention this article to her because I know it would be so hurtful that this couple got what they wanted for 8 years, and now they're being ungrateful brats about it. I certainly hope their feelings change when the twins are born. Maybe the initial feelings of panic will dissipate, and I hope they do make it work and love these children, like the commenter said at the end of the article.
  • Options
    What the actual fuck? 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    Honestly, I think they have a right to be upset, scared, worried, etc., because of course having twins adds a whole new level of difficulty to the pregnancy and life in general. 

However, I think their reaction is extreme considering that they paid for a procedure to get pregnant, and they implanted two embryos.  They had to have acknowledged the risk that both would take, right?

• Options
    CinemaGoddessCinemaGoddess member
    edited September 2013
    I disagree with every one of you and hate that you are judging these people for having a difficult time coming to terms with this. You are absolutely turning it into the pain Olympics.

If someone of 1st tri told someone they had to be happy for a pregnancy because other people are struggling to conceive, you guys would be first in line to rip the shit out of them. But these people come out and express their feelings and they get called horrible people, told they shouldn't be parents. Yes, let's have them just bottle up those feelings instead of expressing them and working through them.

I really thought you guys were better than this.

I judge them for putting these thoughts out on the doesn't-ever-forget Internet.  

ETA: And if they need to express their opinions, it's much better to do so in the company of a counselor.  At least then they could actually work through their problems in a logical fashion instead of putting them somewhere where these kids may possibly see it.  

I stand by my judgement of these people.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    Ok, I didn't actually read the article when I first saw this posted on another board. All they said was "we're pissed. And terrified, and angry, and guilty, and regretful." and, as the wife received the news, "In my mind I had done nothing less than ruin our family" . I think a lot of people have similar reactions when they find out they're having twins. Maybe they wouldn't put it in such strong words, but just because they were terrified and angry and thought they had ruined everything when they first found out they were having twins, doesn't make them horrible people. Without more details I'm not going to assume those feelings carried through past the birth of the twins. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    RayRay007RayRay007 member
    edited September 2013
    What gets me is "we wish one of them had an anomaly so we could abort".

That makes me sick.  Essentially they are saying they are okay with reducing the pregnancy but only if they have some kind of reason that still doesn't make them look bad (which, too late folks).  Fuck that shit.  If they only wanted one kid and really think  their family is ruined,  they should reduce the damn pregnancy and quit bitching.   I would judge that a lot less.
    I didn't see this. I can understand if it was a fleeting thought when they first found out. I would probably never admit it though if I felt that way. Again, I'm not going to assume they resented their babies forever. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    kiraliz2 said:
    Can someone point out where they said that @BrandiBee @Fredalina? I cannot find that statement.
    We considered a reduction for about 30 seconds. (That’s essentially an abortion of one twin, not both.) If you thought that IVF involved playing god, a reduction felt beyond brazen — Machiavellian, even. Give us a reason, we thought, as we had the twins tested for genetic anomalies. None came.
  • Options
    I disagree with every one of you and hate that you are judging these people for having a difficult time coming to terms with this. You are absolutely turning it into the pain Olympics.

If someone of 1st tri told someone they had to be happy for a pregnancy because other people are struggling to conceive, you guys would be first in line to rip the shit out of them. But these people come out and express their feelings and they get called horrible people, told they shouldn't be parents. Yes, let's have them just bottle up those feelings instead of expressing them and working through them.

I judge them for putting these thoughts out on the doesn't-ever-forget Internet.  

ETA: And if they need to express their opinions, it's much better to do so in the company of a counselor.  At least then they could actually work through their problems in a logical fashion instead of putting them somewhere where these kids may possibly see it.  

Yes, a therapist would be a much better place for this. I suppose anyone that has discussed any PPD issues should also get their ass off the internet as well, correct?

PPD is light years away from saying you're pissed you got pregnant with twins via a method that is notorious for producing twins. 

You're really reaching here with your chastising, GM. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    MrsJakesMrsJakes member
    edited September 2013
    ShaunaT25 said:
    kiraliz2 said:
    Can someone point out where they said that @BrandiBee @Fredalina? I cannot find that statement.
    We considered a reduction for about 30 seconds. (That’s essentially an abortion of one twin, not both.) If you thought that IVF involved playing god, a reduction felt beyond brazen — Machiavellian, even. Give us a reason, we thought, as we had the twins tested for genetic anomalies. None came.
    I don't see this line in the article?
    DS <October 2010>
  • Options
    Where did I say they have to be happy about this?  They don't.  I also never said they were horrible parents.  Again, you're reaching.  

PPD is light years different from wishing your child had a genetic abnormality so you could abort it. 

Also, when someone here comes in complaining of PPD (with or without the history of depression) the first thing they are told is to talk to a doctor.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options

Yes, a therapist would be a much better place for this. I suppose anyone that has discussed any PPD issues should also get their ass off the internet as well, correct?

PPD is light years away from saying you're pissed you got pregnant with twins via a method that is notorious for producing twins. 

You're really reaching here with your chastising, GM. 
    So they have to be happy because they apparently got what they wanted and need to shut up because other people are struggling?

Got it. I guess they should give all 3 of their kids up for adoption because they are just awful people who don't deserve to be parents.

PPD is not light years away, especially given the mother in this instance has a history of it and it is possible to have depression during pregnancy.
    Being anxious about having twins is normal. Wishing for one of them to have a genetic anomaly so you can abort is disgusting and something is seriously wrong with you. If you are having these kind of feelings about it, go get help, don't blog about it.

• Options
    CTGirl30 said:
    No one asks to have PPD. This couple was voluntarily undergoing a procedure with the intent to result in at least one viable fetus and quite possibly more than one. This wasn't a secret that they could very well have ended up with two. If that was such a horrible possible outcome to then, then just implant the one embryo and take your chances there.
    @CTGirl30 you just typed exactly what I was thinking.  You don't choose PPD.  It happens without your consent.  These people played fertility Russian Roulette and are shocked and pissed that they got shot, so to speak.  
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    CTGirl30 said:
    No one asks to have PPD. This couple was voluntarily undergoing a procedure with the intent to result in at least one viable fetus and quite possibly more than one. This wasn't a secret that they could very well have ended up with two. If that was such a horrible possible outcome to then, then just implant the one embryo and take your chances there.
    So they have to be happy if it's 1 or 5 babies. Got it.

What the shit is up your vag today, GM?

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    CTGirl30 said:
    So they have to be happy if it's 1 or 5 babies. Got it.

Do they have to be ecstatic?  No.  Do they have to accept it without acting like this was something done TO them?  Yes.  GM you really surprise me on how you react to posts.  I could totally see you on first tri admonishing someone who posted "I don't use any form of birth control and I am PISSED I got pregnant!"  If someone takes a risk they have to accept the result.  This was not something they were blind sided by.  They just crossed their fingers and hoped for the best, like people who practice pull n pray.  Except we tell people that if your pulling and praying doesn't work and you end up pregnant and it will ruin your life (as these people have said), you are being reckless.

• Options
    DUDE. 

ARE YOU EVEN READING MY POSTS?

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options

fredalina said:

I don't think anyone is saying they have to be thrilled. I think they're saying they crossed a line. But truthfully, when we were discussing IVF with our RE, he made it very clear that 1) He would not transfer multiple embryos if we were not open to twins (he would do an eSET, which studies are now showing is just as effective as transferring multiple embryos in most women), and 2) Even if we did an eSET, risk of identical twins goes up somewhat so there would still be a higher chance than a normal pregnancy, and 3) They do not selectively reduce twin pregnancies ever. I find it very likely these folks were informed of the risks and buried their heads in the sand. And yeah, that does mean they don't get to be as pissed off as they are.

This is where I am at as well.  I don't get why they are pissed off enough to say that they wish one of the babies had a genetic anomaly so that they could abort, when they knew there was an increased chance of multiples with the procedure. 
  • Options
    I also want to say that if these parents are in such a shitty place that they'd be all "Score!  That one's fucked up so now we can get rid of it!" they really are assholes.  They want only to not feel badly so they won't abort one child that they clearly don't want so they're hoping for it to have problems.  I'll say it - that's the shittiest parent I can think of.  

• Options
    fredalina said:
    @GhostMonkey, I think you are reading WAY too much into the comments. No one is commenting about you, or anyone but the two people the article is about. And to my knowledge you've never wished your son had some genetic abnormality so you could have felt justified in aborting him. And if you have, you're still a step above them because you didn't publish it nationally where your son may see it someday. There's a difference (HUGE) between "I struggle with parenthood; it's not what I expected it to be" and "I never wanted my son and wished I would have aborted him".
    They are wishing for an easy way out. Not a great way and I would bet they hate themselves for thinking it.

And why is this article coming up again? Because this shit has been discussed before. This exact situation.

They don't hate themselves enough to not put it on the internet.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    fredalina said:
    @GhostMonkey, I think you are reading WAY too much into the comments. No one is commenting about you, or anyone but the two people the article is about. And to my knowledge you've never wished your son had some genetic abnormality so you could have felt justified in aborting him. And if you have, you're still a step above them because you didn't publish it nationally where your son may see it someday. There's a difference (HUGE) between "I struggle with parenthood; it's not what I expected it to be" and "I never wanted my son and wished I would have aborted him".
    They are wishing for an easy way out. Not a great way and I would bet they hate themselves for thinking it.

And why is this article coming up again? Because this shit has been discussed before. This exact situation.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Options
    fredalina said:

So the problem is they are talking about it?

::pinches bridge of nose::

The problem is they put those thoughts out on the internet.  Not that they had them.  I appreciate being terrified out of your gourd when you find out you're having twins. 

The dick move was putting it out there for all (including their kids) to see.  This falls squarely under the header "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    jsgrl613 said:

Honestly, I think they have a right to be upset, scared, worried, etc., because of course having twins adds a whole new level of difficulty to the pregnancy and life in general. 

However, I think their reaction is extreme considering that they paid for a procedure to get pregnant, and they implanted two embryos.  They had to have acknowledged the risk that both would take, right?

I feel like this too. Why not just implant one at a time? Or is that not possible? We don't know what they were told by their doctors and I see the blind faith in doctors a lot where I work.

All that being said they are extreme and I agree the internet is the wrong way to go about getting your feelings out.

• Options
    24 hour news cycle whut?  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"