Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Underweight and TTC?

I've been planning the TTC phase for literally a year now, and I've checked everything off the list from dental exams to switching/stopping prescriptions to redefining my career path.  My H and I want to start TTC next month, but in the past 2 weeks I've had two doctors tell me I need to GAIN weight before TTC.  ??  And not a significant amount of weight; approximately 5 pounds.  I have no problem with the concept, but the idea of needing to wait longer to start TTC bothers me, especially since we're only talking about 5 pounds here.

I have a low BMI (17), but this is not due to dieting.  Part of it is genetic (my sister is 5'4" and 102), and part of it is a decreased appetite due to stress (a lot of which is caused by the life changes I have to make to start TTC...long story.)  So, gaining weight is incredibly difficult for me right now.  I'm eating whatever I want, snacking on high calorie treats, and eating when I'm not hungry.  Yesterday I made myself sick by eating more than I wanted.  And still no weight gain.  (NEVER thought I would say any of this...feels incredibly weird to complain about not being able to gain weight, but baby-making is a new ballpark).  

Is anyone out there *technically* underweight but moving forward with TTC?  I just really feel like, if I wait for absolutely everything to be perfect, a) it'll never happen and b) I'll put so much pressure on myself that I'll end up in a padded cell.
I AM

Re: Underweight and TTC?

• Options
    HiCan said:
    I really don't think 5lbs is going to make or break a pregnancy
    This is what I'm saying.  How are you going to tell me to delay TTC due to being underweight and only to gain 5 pounds in the same breath?  Thanks for the feedback.
    I AM
  • Options
    I am underweight...I also have an autoimmune disease. I have read being underweight can affect getting pregnant...as in it can take 4 times as long. I got oregnant with my son no problems(not inder weight) ...trying for a sibling is harder(underweight) still pushing ahead though
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    abbyfulabbyful member
    edited September 2013
    I'm 5'8", 115 pounds, BMI is 17.5 according to CDC. No health problems, just genetically thin.

I'm not a doctor, but my take on it is this: As long as you are healthy and no dieting to keep your weight low, in other words as long as this is your "normal", which it sounds like it is, don't fret.

My 1st OB (I switched because she got married and moved to another town, not because I didn't like her) told me she wanted me to gain 40 pounds when I got pregnant! I already knew that wasn't going to happen by looking at my mom's and sister's pregnancies.
    My current OB was perfectly okay with my weight gain, I only gained 18 my entire pregnancy with baby #1, but it was steady. And baby was a healthy 7 pound 15 oz.

When you do get pregnant, don't limit how much you eat. And eat plenty of protein and fat, baby needs those things! 
    The recommended calorie intake for 1st tri is only 150-200 extra; however, I was eating 1-2 extra full size meals, plus constant snacking. I guesstimate I was probably eating an extra 1000+ calories. Didn't gain a single pound in 1st tri, but my body knew I needed more energy. 
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was underweight throughout my entire childhood (I didn't even hit 100 lbs until my junior year of high school) and had a lot of issues trying to gain weight, so I feel your pain.  If your doctor is only suggesting a 5lb weight gain though, I wouldn't feel that's a big enough gap to put off TTC.

It probably wouldn't hurt to try to gain weight, but you need to do it in a healthy way.  Gaining 5 lbs from eating junk food is probably worse for you and your [hopeful] baby than gaining nothing.  I'm sure there are resources out there that can help you plan a healthy weight gain diet plan though, so I'd start there. 
  • Options
    5lbs is a significant amount of weight for you as it is a high percentage of your overall weight.

You need to call one of the doctors that said that and ask why they are suggesting you gain weight. They should have given you a reason.

And do track your food. Often times women are not eating as they should, and high calorie snacks of complete junk are not the way you need to go about this. Most women I have seen generally add in protein shakes, not junk foods. If you are struggling with your diet and how to get in the amounts that you need, then consult a nutritionist.

This.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Options
    Also maybe check out the "Brewer Diet". Bradley Method childbirth also uses a tangent of this diet.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If I had to take a guess, the doctors want you to gain the additional 5 lbs in case you get bad morning sickness in the first trimester and lose a few lbs - you would have that extra weight to fall back on.

That being said, if you've been the same weight for a while and your cycles are regular, you shouldn't have any problems conceiving.  I'm also very thin and never had much luck trying to gain weight.  I had no issues with this with 2 pregnancies and the good news was that I kept about 5 - 7 lbs of the pregnancy weight after each pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If it were me (and I'm no doctor) I would just start trying.  You'll probably be fine.  If you are underweight however, it can cause problems concieving.  I am also at the borderline of underweight.  Doing some research, i found that coconut oil can help and specifically, you need good cholesterol.  
  • Options
    I think it all depends on why a girl is thin with regards to whether or not it will affect her TTC.  If she's underweight because she's not eating enough and/or exercising too much, then yes it can definitely affect TTC.  If she's underweight due to her frame/build and genetics then I don't think it would matter too much.  

I have a friend who is 5'8 and 105lbs and she's been like that her entire life.  Both her grandmother, mom and sister are too.  She can eat me under the table and the most exercise she's ever done is walking to the fridge.  That's just her.

But I would take a look at what you eat as others have suggested.  Track your calories for a few days.  Sometimes when you're stressed you feel like you eat all the time, but you really aren't taking that much in.  Focusing and worrying about other things can take the priority off food and you might be getting less than you realize.
    TTC since February 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"