VBAC vs. another C-Section — The Bump
VBAC

VBAC vs. another C-Section

ssue4ssue4 member

I am considering on having a VBAC after a terrible experience that I had with being induced because of GD and ending up with a c-section after pushing for 2 hours. DS was just not coming out, and after being so exchausted from being at the hospital for 24 hours, not sleeping, nor resting, as the nurses kept coming in to poke me to check my sugar levels, I was too tired for anything. They broke my water, the contractions started being really strong at that point, I did get the epidural, once  I was fully dialated I started to push, but every time DS came down, he would go right back up, after 2 hours of pushing, and no progress, and once the epidural started getting weaker I was screaming and crying of pain, as I could not do this anymore, they decided to take me to the OR, I cried even more when I heard that, I felt like I failed. After the C-section, I started shacking so bad that I coudnt even hold DS for a long time, I was exhausted and sleepy. After a while, the Dr came in to tell me that I've lost a lot of blood during the operation and asked if wanted blood transfusion...I said no way, I wil be fine. I started shaking again uncontrolably, and they measured my temp, I had a fever, my body was fighting an infection...I had an infection in the uterus! They kept me in the hospital for a week, the antibiotics that they gave me were not fighting off the infection. They would come over to take my blood 3 times a day so they can do more research on what kind of infection I had,  the antibiotics that I was taking cure 90% of infections out there, I guess I had the one that was in the 10%...after a week at the hospital with the baby, I started getting depressed and really tired, I really wanted to go home. Because of the infection and the c-section, I could barely spend time with my DS as i was so weak and tired all the time, I even tried breastfeeding him, but he did not want to lauch on and made my nipples bleed, so the Dr had me stop breastfeeding him so that the nipple would heal and watch for an infection on the nipples. Once the nipple healed I was able to pump and got some milk for DS, he had to be formula fead as well. During the time at the hospital,  I wasnt able to stand up on my own, I couldnt even stand for a long time so I could change my DS, the nurses would have to feed him and change him, my DH helped out as well, but I felt cheated from being able to spend the quality time with my newborn because I felt so week all the time. After we got home,  I was finally taking the right kind of antibiotics, they helped but gave me really bad diahrea that lasted 3 weeks, I had an infection in the stomach now because of the antibiotics that I took that I had to take another kind of antibiotics to treat the new infection. I was so miserable at this point, I remember being very week and pale for 2 months after having my DS that I really dont want to experience the same thing again if I have another c-section. Sorry for the long story, I guess I'm just wenting...

Now that I am pregnant again, im 19 weeks...I am really interested in a VBAC. When I spoke to my Dr about considering VBAC, she said that I am not a good candidate as I had GD with first which I might have it again, and because I already tried pushing the first time and it didnt work, baby was descent, so I only have a 5% chance of successful labor. I asked if that meant that my pelvis is too small, or narrow, she said probably. But how do they know? So, I changed my Dr and went to someone else who said that look, these are the pros and the cons, if you do end up having GD in this pregnancy, I will not allow you to go past 41 weeks, I will not induce you as that did not work in having natural laborthe first time, so you will have a C-section. But lets say, you go into labor around your due date, we will give it a try, but keep in mind that your body had tried this before and failed so the same thing might happen again, but as long as everything is going fine, I do not have anything againts trying VBAC. So the two things that might stop me from succeeding is GD and the fact that I tried natural labor before and failed. I am trying really hard to keep positive and believe that I can do this :) I really dont want to deal with the recovery proccess after a c-section once again.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation and had a successful VBAC?

 

Re: VBAC vs. another C-Section

  • I haven't had a VBAC yet, but I hope to with my next baby.  I also had GD the first time around, and the Dr wouldn't let me go past 40 weeks, so I think it's great they will allow you to go to 41 weeks.  Good luck!
  • No GD, but with my first I pushed for three hours with no progress and got a csection. With my second, a bigger baby, I was in labour for just two hours from first contraction to birth and had a successful vbac. Lots of women are told they are "too small" and go on to have vbacs; a friend of mine was even told she was "too small" when planning her second vbac, AFTER the successful vbac of her 10 pound baby.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You have much better than a 5% chance of success. The average success rate of VBAC is 75% or so, which are great odds.

    I also don't have personal experience with GD, but my understanding is that if it's diet-controlled, you shouldn't have many restrictions on planning a VBAC.

    I had a VBAC with a significantly larger second baby (10.5 lbs), after pushing for 4+ hours with my first and ending up with a CS. Find a new OB if you can! And good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

    DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

  • skioskio member
    edited September 2013
    Yup. Although I did not have GD. But I had a long labor, pushed for over three hours and DD1 wouldn't descend, and a shitty recovery from my c/s. Though not as shitty as yours - I'm so sorry you had to go through all that.

    Anyway, I am a teeny person and I had my second daughter via VBAC, who came out at 9lbs. Your size doesn't mean much when it comes to birthing a baby. Don't let the "you're too narrow to have a baby" tactic scare you. Your body is meant to do this. That first doctor is an asshole...giving you that shpiel then telling you your chances are only 5%. Like pp said, your chances are much higher, and a trial of labor is always safer than surgery.

    Almost everyone who VBACs has "tried a natural labor and failed." We've all been there. Do a ton of research, be sure about what you want, and advocate for yourself. Good luck!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
    A37licia
  • No GD, but with my first I pushed for three hours with no progress and got a csection. With my second, a bigger baby, I was in labour for just two hours from first contraction to birth and had a successful vbac. Lots of women are told they are "too small" and go on to have vbacs; a friend of mine was even told she was "too small" when planning her second vbac, AFTER the successful vbac of her 10 pound baby.


    Thank you for sharing your story with me Annabelle. I am glad to hear that you had a successful VBAC with a bigger baby. That's amazing! I'm not sure why Doctors love to scare us with you are too small and you are going to have a big baby so VBAC will not work for you...I know women who are smaller than me and hada  bigger baby than me. I believe that it is all up to our body, and if everything is going well, I am determend to give it a chance :)

     

  • nosoup4u said:
    You have much better than a 5% chance of success. The average success rate of VBAC is 75% or so, which are great odds.

    I also don't have personal experience with GD, but my understanding is that if it's diet-controlled, you shouldn't have many restrictions on planning a VBAC.

    I had a VBAC with a significantly larger second baby (10.5 lbs), after pushing for 4+ hours with my first and ending up with a CS. Find a new OB if you can! And good luck!
    Thanks! I did find a new Dr who is supportive of a VBAC but he also wanted me to keep in mind that there is a chance that I could try and fail, but I am ready to take that chance. The other thing that might go againts me is if I develop GD again, but the testing is a month from now so I'm eating healthier and hopefully it wont be a problem.
  • skio said:
    Yup. Although I did not have GD. But I had a long labor, pushed for over three hours and DD1 wouldn't descend, and a shitty recovery from my c/s. Though not as shitty as yours - I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Anyway, I am a teeny person and I had my second daughter via VBAC, who came out at 9lbs. Your size doesn't mean much when it comes to birthing a baby. Don't let the "you're too narrow to have a baby" tactic scare you. Your body is meant to do this. That first doctor is an asshole...giving you that shpiel then telling you your chances are only 5%. Like pp said, your chances are much higher, and a trial of labor is always safer than surgery. Almost everyone who VBACs has "tried a natural labor and failed." We've all been there. Do a ton of research, be sure about what you want, and advocate for yourself. Good luck!
    Thanks for your support and encouraging words :) I really appreciate it! Once my Dr told me that I only have a 5% chance of successful VBAC because I had tried natural labor before and have failed, I felt so discouraged and I knew that she is not the right Dr for me. I will stay positive and do my best to make it happen :)

    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 


  • I had a very similar labor and my first, and it ended in a C-section. So I had a "failed" natural labor, but I have had 2 VBACs since then. You can absolutely do it. The interventions played in significantly for you, I have no doubt. That was not natural or what your body needed. You need a provider who will support you and you need to be mentally and emotionally prepared to fight for what you want, and to be informed about labor and what you need to feel safe and supported. For me, that was a home birth the next time but that's not for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards