Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

*TMI* For those of you considering a "Natural M/C" This is MY experience.

AargAarg member
edited September 2013 in Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
We lost our little man at 8 weeks 6 days. (We just felt that it was a boy) We found out at 11 weeks that I had a Missed Miscarriage. I decided against a D&C, so from that moment it was a waiting game, and today was the day that my body decided it was ready to clear out.  I was lucky enough to have 2 people very close to me who both had miscarriages and at different stages of pregnancy; my mom and my sister. Both of them were very helpful in letting me ask them any question, even the gross ones.  So I wanted to post so that women who have a missed miscarriage can have a better understanding about what happens if you decided to wait it out. Even the gross parts :) 

I decided that I wanted to have a Natural miscarriage so that I could have some closure to the whole thing. I started spotting about 4 days ago and today it was like the flood gates opened down below! I soaked thru 3 pads, 3 pairs of underwear, and 3 pairs of pants in less than 30 minutes. Once it started, it does not stop! Since I was at work I had to run out of the building with 2 pants on and a hoodie around my waist. When I got home I had to jump in the shower with all my clothes on to rinse everything off. From that moment I was on the toilet for 2 hours losing clots and blood. The blood loss seemed so extreme that I called my OB right away! But he reassured me that you have to remember it was 3 months worth of blood, plus uterine tissue, plus any fluid in the sac, ect. The thing that sucks is that it was like having your period thru out a week rush out in a matter of 2 hours! Holy Horror Film for sure! I just kept bleeding and the cramping is absolutely excruciating! I will not lie. But when it is over, the sense of relief is just amazing. It truly felt like a mini labor. I felt the pressure and the cramping like contractions every 30 minutes to start and then quickly fell to 10-15 minutes apart. During the whole thing there was a lot of bleeding and A LOT of large clots. Thru the pain, I was more grossed out then anything. You just feel gross and every time I felt a clot pass I gagged a  little, but I had to look and see if that was the sac. I will warn the pain did get to be so bad that I contemplated having my DH take me to the hospital. I called my OB and told him how bad the pain was and he happily prescribed me a big bottle of Vicodin. He laughed and told me "Don't be a martyr now! But don't OD either!" My OB was very helpful during this whole thing. After about 7 hours it eventually became a constant pain (which honestly felt better then then contraction type cramps) and then the sac popped and fluid rushed out. The pain just stopped. Completely stopped! I felt this sense of relief. An hour and a half later, the collapsed sac fell out. I KNEW it was the sac because is looked like (as my mom described it) a deflated balloon. When my mom miscarried a while back her sac did not pop, so she actually had to push a little bit when the pressure got bad. And the entire sac, still filled with fluid passed so it was more painful for her. So I guess I was kind of lucky my sac popped. Now something my Doctor kept telling me was "There will be NO BABY in there. You will NOT see it" (of course this depends on how far along you are in your pregnancy. but for me there is no way to even recognize an embyo/fetus) From start of bleeding to finish when the sac expelled from my body was a total of 8.5 hours. I was told that I should have a heavy period for about a week and a half to two weeks or so until everything is done. 
In the future I don't think I would opt for the D&C. Yeah it sucked BAD, but at the same time it was nice to have my DH with me the whole time and be able to feel that sense of closure. 

*Please know that I have absolutely NOTHING against D&C's! I just chose for spiritual and personal reasons to have everything go naturally* 
I hope that this helps anyone who is waiting to have a natural m/c or if you are on the fence about a d&c. 

Re: *TMI* For those of you considering a "Natural M/C" This is MY experience.

• Options
    I also chose to do it naturally. Luckily I didn't have to wait long like some others. But a mini labor describes it perfectly. It felt like contractions every 10 minutes and they got closer and closer. The only thing I'd add is if you feel like your losing too much blood make sure someone is there with you. I ended up passing out due to blood loss and had to have an ambulance called to take me to the ER.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. Such a terrible ordeal.
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this. I just started bleeding heavy and the cramping just picked up. I think I might ask my dh to come home early from work tonight just in case I need him. I think your post just prepared me for what to expect tonight and I am now nervous but feel better about it already. So thanks again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also chose to do it naturally. Luckily I didn't have to wait long like some others. But a mini labor describes it perfectly. It felt like contractions every 10 minutes and they got closer and closer. The only thing I'd add is if you feel like your losing too much blood make sure someone is there with you. I ended up passing out due to blood loss and had to have an ambulance called to take me to the ER. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Such a terrible ordeal.
    YES! I had to call my DH to come home. I was so dizzy. it was horrible... My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.
    Thank you for posting this. I just started bleeding heavy and the cramping just picked up. I think I might ask my dh to come home early from work tonight just in case I need him. I think your post just prepared me for what to expect tonight and I am now nervous but feel better about it already. So thanks again.
    I am glad that I could help someone :) I promise that it will get better and the sense of relief and closure when it's over is amazing. I hope that it goes fast and if you have any questions  - even gross questions if I didnt answer them in my post - please feel free to send me a personal message! I am more then happy to give you my cell number so you can text me thru the night if you need it. It was nice having someone to talk to thru out the whole process.
  • Options
    Always make sure to ask what the warning signs are for complications.
    I was told the whole filling a large pad front to back in under an hour 3x in a row. That is good after you've passed the clots and sac, but during you can scare yourself needlessly if you follow that. Go by how you feel.

For moms who have had other babies before your first m/c I was shocked and heartbroken how much the miscarriage smelled like birth. Birth has a unique smell that just reminds you of new life and precious babies. That was the worst part emotionally for me. It brought home that I was birthing my baby way to soon.

Also miscarriage can happen in parts esp if you are in the last weeks of the 1st Tri. Most of my miscarriage happened in one day. 3 days later after light bleeding the cramps and bleeding started up again, but no signs of infection etc. I passed a few more clots.
    From what I was told this is the large artery that was connected to the placenta shrinking with the uterus. It clots, shrinks expels the clot bleeds some then clots again continues shrinking, then expels it again when it is too big, bleeds less and reclots until it is closed and the uterus is back to normal.
    If your breastfeeding an older hold during this breastfeed as much as you can this can help your uterus to clamp down and lessen the chances of hemorrhage or excess bleeding. It hurts a bit but worth it to help prevent an emergency.
    If you are interested take red raspberry leaf tea, keep taking your prenatal for at least a month after miscarriage, liquid Clorophyll helps rebuild red blood cells which will help you recover faster, and taking homeopathics like sepia, sabina, or caulk phylum can help. I took sepia, it can also help you work through your grief.
    Also as soon as the worst is over and everything starts settling down take a dose of arnica (homeopathic) every 15 minutes until the bleeding lessens and you are feeling better. I only had to take 3 doses then things were better.
    Your welcome to pm me if you have questions.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image
  • Options
    I'm sorry your experience was so awful!!!

However, I feel compelled to mention that every natural miscarriage is different. Mine was nothing like you describe. My miscarriage took over a week to complete from the first day of bleeding so its different for everyone. I kept waiting for the experience you described but it never happened that way. Personally I'm glad I had a natural MC too and didn't do a D&C.

Hang in there.
  • Options
    So the whole process last night when the cramps started to when they were gone was only about 4 hours.  I think since I wasn't as far as long maybe it made it so it wasn't so bad.  I know exactly what you were referencing to when the sac came out.  It was a strange feeling like I had a bit of pressure and felt almost jammed up and then relief once it passed through.  The cramps left shortly after that and even the bleeding has gone back down to manageable level.  

I was also told to come right back to ER if I was filling 3 pads in 3 hours since that would mean I was losing too much blood but I never got to that point.

I should also mention that I started spotting on Thursday and that turned into a bleed by Sunday afternoon and by late Monday evening the cramps came.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage

• Options
    lms1981 said:
    I'm sorry your experience was so awful!!! However, I feel compelled to mention that every natural miscarriage is different. Mine was nothing like you describe. My miscarriage took over a week to complete from the first day of bleeding so its different for everyone. I kept waiting for the experience you described but it never happened that way. Personally I'm glad I had a natural MC too and didn't do a D&C. Hang in there.
    Oh I absolutely AGREE! Every miscarriage is different! I just wanted to share my experience since it seemed pretty consistent with my mom, my sister, and 2 of my friends who all experienced a natural miscarriage. 
    I just really wanted to post so that if anything I could help just one person feel prepared for what could happen! 
    I wish my m/c was easy... but if you knew my family, we never do things the easy way. 
  • Options
    Aarg said:

lms1981 said:

I'm sorry your experience was so awful!!!

However, I feel compelled to mention that every natural miscarriage is different. Mine was nothing like you describe. My miscarriage took over a week to complete from the first day of bleeding so its different for everyone. I kept waiting for the experience you described but it never happened that way. Personally I'm glad I had a natural MC too and didn't do a D&C.

Hang in there.

Oh I absolutely AGREE! Every miscarriage is different! I just wanted to share my experience since it seemed pretty consistent with my mom, my sister, and 2 of my friends who all experienced a natural miscarriage. 
    I just really wanted to post so that if anything I could help just one person feel prepared for what could happen! 
    I wish my m/c was easy... but if you knew my family, we never do things the easy way. 

Definitely helps to share!!! I was shocked at how different my experience was from my perceived version of MC. I actually passed the sac at work because I was sick of waiting at home ... And the pain at that point wasn't bad compared to the pain when it started that sent me to the ER days earlier so I was like "is this it?" I wasn't certain if I'd passed the baby or not. At points during my MC (as insane as it sounds) I wished for a MC that was more clear cut/defined because every night I laid in bed crying and wondering how much longer it would take and if maybe it was somehow a mistake and it wasn't a MC... It definitely messed with me. Even after I got my first post MC HCG levels I was strangely shocked when it was down to the 60s. Like somehow it was all a mistake/bad dream?!

It all sucks so much and I feel horrible that we all have had to go through this no matter how it played out for each person :( hoping for good things moving forward for all of us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"