Attachment Parenting

NAPR: Would you say something?

NoeKNoeK member
edited August 2013 in Attachment Parenting

So this is the deal, I took off work the other day to spend time with the kids. DH only had to work half the day so he was home in the morning and we decided to go to the park early in the day before it got to crowded. DH took DS over to the soccer fields and basketball courts and I was in the playground area with DD and LO in his carrier. There was only one other family there when we got there, so DD pretty much had the playground to herself. Anywho a daycare group comes in with about 7 or 8 small children, none were older than about 3, and quite a few were still unsteady on there feet.There was also a very young baby being pushed in a stroller by one of the workers. These were the things I noticed

1. There were only two workers and I felt that was alot of children for just two workers to handle

2. One of the workers was dressed VERY inappropiately and using very foul language.

3. The playground is separated into two sections; one for toddlers (lower slides, baby swings things like that) one for the big kids. They had these babies on the big kids side. This was very dangerous, one of the little girls almost walked off the edge on the top of a slide trying to grab the firemans pole. I literally ran over to stop her. Another little boy was trying to scale the rock climbing wall. Another little boy was leaving the park, when I ran to get him and take him to the worker. And a little girl was LICKING the water fountain (spout, handle and all). I understand that it was not my place, but I could never live with myself if a little child was hurt or worse and I could have done somethng to prevent it so I tried to help as much as I could. ..this brings me to # 4

4. BOTH workers were sitting on the bench at the far end of the park ON THEIR CELLPHONES...the ENTIRE time. The only time they stopped is when I brought the little boy over that was making a break for it. She literally looked at me mumbled, "Oh I saw him" and continued texting.

I left the playground after that and took LO & DD over to where DH and DS were. All of this brings me to my question. One of the workers had on a t-shirt with the daycare's name and logo. DH thinks I need to look them up and let them know whats going on or as a more drastic step call whatever department licenses them and file a complaint. I think that I probably should have said something to the workers when they were there, but I didnt because I didnt want to get into an argument with my children there. Would you find and call the daycare/licensing office or just let it go?

Re: NAPR: Would you say something?

• I would DEFINITELY call the daycare and ask to speak to the director.  I'm sure the parents of all those children would thank you.  I know I would.  These two workers obviously do not have children of their own, or else they would never have done that.  It does seem like a lot of children for only 2 adults, but I know at least in PA you can have up to 6 toddlers for every 1 adult.
  • I would be infuriated if my child was in the care of those negligent workers.  I hope that you do notifiy the director ASAP!  They have no business looking after minors. Too bad you didn't have photographic evidence.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • NoeKNoeK member
    bullybutt said:
    I would be infuriated if my child was in the care of those negligent workers.  I hope that you do notifiy the director ASAP!  They have no business looking after minors. Too bad you didn't have photographic evidence.
    The one time I leave my phone at home on purpose because I was trying to be all "unplugged", would be the one time where I really should have brought it. lol
  • My child is in daycare, and I would hope that if this happened at our daycare someone would report it.  I'm angry just reading about it.  I say call the director, and if they don't take your complaint seriously, escalate it to a regulatory agency.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That concerns me a lot. I'd talk to the licensing department, tell them what you saw and ask if they would advise you to file a complaint. That all sounds so dangerous!
    imageimage
  • My child is in daycare, and I would hope that if this happened at our daycare someone would report it.  I'm angry just reading about it.  I say call the director, and if they don't take your complaint seriously, escalate it to a regulatory agency.

This. That's terrible!

• Yikes, I would for sure! Not so much because of the numbers or the climbing but there is no excuse for them to be on their phones and not paying attention! Especially if they have a lot of kids. Totally unacceptable
  • Yikes, I would for sure! Not so much because of the numbers or the climbing but there is no excuse for them to be on their phones and not paying attention! Especially if they have a lot of kids. Totally unacceptable

I was at a park near us and there was a very similar situation: large daycare group, 2 teachers who were young and on their cellphones not paying attention. It bothered me, but I didn't say anything. The difference was, there were 10-15 kids (we left it was way too much for my 1-year-old), and they were all about 7 or 8. They were being very mean to each other, though - pushing, name calling, hair pulling - and then they bullied a few of the non daycare kids. Those parents left with their kids in a huff. I got out of there fast!
    imageimage
  • I would call. The cell phone thing would annoy the shit out of me. If I am paying someone to watch my kids, they need to be watching my kids.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I agree with Reecefamily and erbear. I would call.
  • So I called over the weekend and spoke to a very nice woman who said she was the director. I explained to her what I saw, and she said she would look into it. So I will see what happens, I will be off again in a few weeks and I am going to go to the park in the morning and see if they are there
  • Good for you!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"