Baby Names
Options

Baby girl names

We aren't completely set on either one of these but our top 2 names for our baby girl at this point are
Arwen or Eliza 

Which one do you prefer? 
We are not Lord of the Rings fans, I have actually never even seen the movies or read the books but I am aware Arwen will probably be associated with that, but it doesn't bother us. We like that name because its different without being weird in our opinion. What do you ladies think? 

Re: Baby girl names

• Options
    I prefer Arwen. I don't associate it with anything. Not a fan of Eliza.

DS1-7/21/2011 @ 1:51am

DD-5/29/2013 @ 2:40pm

DS2-5/29/2013 @ 3:21pm

#4 EDD- 9/28/2016

• Options
    Definitely like Eliza more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love Eliza.  Not so into Arwen.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Didn't Tolkein make Arwen up? Because of that, I would say it is forever tied to Lord of the Rings. It's a nice name, but I would definitely assume the parents of an Arwen were big LotR fans. I prefer Eliza, though. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I'd go with Eliza.
  • Options
    Eliza, ESPECIALLY if you've never read/seen LotR. Arwen is only associated with Tolkien. It's really bizarre to use the name with no knowledge of his work. Also, Eliza is a bazillion times better and doesn't scream "my parents are mega nerds" like Arwen does.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Eliza.
  • Options
    Eliza, ESPECIALLY if you've never read/seen LotR. Arwen is only associated with Tolkien. It's really bizarre to use the name with no knowledge of his work. Also, Eliza is a bazillion times better and doesn't scream "my parents are mega nerds" like Arwen does.

She took the words right out of my mouth. ELIZA!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Eliza

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Options
    Thanks ladies! This helps! I didn't know it was a character on LOTR's until my husband informed me. I just saw it on a name website! I still think its pretty, but I hear what y'all are saying!!! :)
  • Options
    Actually Arwen was a Welsh name used before LOTR was ever written (Arwyn is the male version). It means "fair/fine" or "muse" in Welsh and "noble maiden" in Tolkien's elvish. I do agree that you'll get LOTR comments, but its not a bad association at all.

I've been researching the name A LOT and have found that most people named Arwen (or who named their kid that) feel very positively about the name and weren't bullied for it. You probably will get some "oh like from LotR?" questions, but if that doesn't bother you then use it. Most of the people I've told irl assume its an Irish name and say its very pretty. Those who know the association say its an awesome name. I have had a few people assume its a boys name (I think there was a Disney tv show with a male Arwin).

All this being said, I'm completely biased since I'm naming my dd Arwen. :)
    image image

• Options

Also, Eliza is a bazillion times better and doesn't scream "my parents are mega nerds" like Arwen does.

Hey now! Nothing wrong with being a nerd! ;)

I also want to add that you can use the nickname Ari or Winnie if you're looking for a nn option. I also like Eliza, but I prefer Elizabeth.
    image image

• Options
    I had Eliza on my list, and every time I mentioned it to someone, they always asked "Would it be short for Elizabeth?". It drove me crazy, especially since I didn't want to name her Elizabeth. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, but I think you'd get that comment as often as you'd get asked about LOTR. Go with what you like best! I think they're both fine.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • Options
    Arwen but I'm a LOTR nerd
    Me-Caciona (30) DH- Dave (41) 9/27/08
    Mommy to Nils David since 9/21/11
    Expecting Serafina Ann  around 4/23/2014

• Options
    Neither are my style but I met a little girl named Arwen recently and after her family were out of ear shot the other adults around me that had just met her seriously bashed the name. I think it is prettier than Eliza but most people will side eye it.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    LisaG09 said:
    Neither are my style but I met a little girl named Arwen recently and after her family were out of ear shot the other adults around me that had just met her seriously bashed the name. I think it is prettier than Eliza but most people will side eye it.
    Those people sound like asshats.
    image image

• Options
    Arwen. I prefer Elizabeth over Eliza. I love LotR, but actually associate Arwen with a friend. She is supersweet, down to earth and stunning. However, she was named for the character (2 of her 3 brothers also have LotR names) and I think it would be a bit odd to name your daughter Arwen and not know the books/movies/character.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"