August 2013 Moms

Birth Control

What's everyone planning for BC?
I had Mirena for 18 months after DS 1. I really had no problems with it. I did struggle a bit with the moral side...especially once wewanted more kids. I sldo had some trouble with my cycle after stopping took 8 months to concieve. We are not sure we are done...I would say 80% sure we are done. I EBF so options are limited. The time is not right for another until 2016. It is either Mirena or Condoms. With condoms I feel like the door is open for an oops. Mirena is a more sure thing and the way I am leading.
So what are you thinking?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Birth Control

• I'm getting the Mirena. Definitely no more babies for us for at least five years.
  • I'll probably just go on the pill again. 

My DH suggested condoms but I feel like I'm in HS using them, lol.  And, I'm totally weird and the idea of something being stuck inside me and left there kind of creeps me out so there goes mirena or implanon.

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm thinking I'll do Mirena also. I had it years ago and it was so convenient and didn't have the side effects that other methods did for me. 

• petey1106 said:
    No experience or advice here as I've never been on birth control, but would like to now. May sound naive, but what is the moral issue with mirena?
    This.  I'm curious as to what your thinking?  I can only speculate that it may because it allows for fertilization and implantation and then scrapes the lining of the uterus (which is what the old IUD did).  However, the Mirena doesn't do this.  I spoke with my OB about it b/c I was curious. 

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • I just got mirena yesterday. We're 100% done, but I can't bring myself to do something permanent (or ask H to either).

I'm BFing, hate condoms, and get pg very very easily so mirena makes sense for us. I had it between pregnancies and had no/minimal s/e.

• For me it was more the moral...I wanted more kids why was I preventing it. Since I am o the fence and know I don't want another right now I am ok with it...I think.

• petey1106 said:

No experience or advice here as I've never been on birth control, but would like to now. May sound naive, but what is the moral issue with mirena?

This.  I'm curious as to what your thinking?  I can only speculate that it may because it allows for fertilization and implantation and then scrapes the lining of the uterus (which is what the old IUD did).  However, the Mirena doesn't do this.  I spoke with my OB about it b/c I was curious. 

Yes that is true because of the hormone Mirena is different. For me it was that I was preventing something I 100% wanted. I didn't have the moral struggle until 15 months.

• petey1106 said:
    Yes that is true because of the hormone Mirena is different. For me it was that I was preventing something I 100% wanted. I didn't have the moral struggle until 15 months.
    Ahh, I see.  I guess that was nosy of me to ask.

If preventing something that you want is your concern, unfortunately, I don't think there are many options.  :/  You can try temping and charting and just avoid intercourse during ovulation but it's not 100%.  But, then again, nothing is 100%. 

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • JNL$LSM said:

Stupid question the Mirena doesn't mess with BF?

Nope, it's safe.
  • I'm not EBF'ing so ill probably go back on the pill. We do want to try for #2 in a couple years.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'll be doing the pill again. It worked well the 8 years I was on it and it only took us 4 months to conceive when I went off. I'm with a PP, something stuck up inside of me weirds me out, too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are 100% finished. I was on Mirena 5 years before having LO #3, had no issues. MH is getting a vasectomy. I get pregnant really easy and we don't want a #4!  :)

• I am more than likely going to get the Mirena again, it was nice to never have to think about anything.
  • Nothing here. While we don't necessarily want another LO NOW, we are ok if it happens naturally. We had to do IUI to conceive this time so I figure if it happens on its own it's a blessing and we will figure it out. We do know we want another eventually.
  • I do not react good to birth controls (health reasons, hormonal imbalance, etc) so we are just doing NFP... Now to see how that works out lol. Hoping for no more babies for 2-3 years!
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • I'm going on the mini pill and denying DH. I'm too tired to even think about doing anything!
    June 2010 - IVM
    July 2, 2010- BFP Beta July 5th - 931 Repeat beta July 7th - 2,779
    July 13, 2010- First ultrasound! Gestational sac found!
    July 16, 2010 - 2nd u/s due to bleeding. Twins found! Baby A is great! Praying for Baby B!
    July 23, 2010 - 3rd u/s. Saw Baby A's flicker of a heartbeat! Lost Baby B. :-(
    March 16, 2011 - Nathan James was born
    November 26, 2012 - surprise BFP! It's a girl!
    July 26, 2013 - Lilianna Jean was born

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mirena and pull out......at this point, I don't know if we will have a 2nd, and if I had an "accident" in the near future I would not be a happy camper! I love lo, but the thought of doing this again makes me cry!

• Mirena all the way. I had it for 5 years before lo and loved it.

• We ended up doing a tubal after DS was born, but did Mirena in between DS#1 and DS#2 and it worked ok.  
  • I'm bfing and we plan on ttc right after DD turns one. So I'm gonna do mini pill.
  • We are done. H is getting a vasectomy.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Mirena, we don't plan on ttc until LO is almost 2. I was on Yaz for 10 years before and loved it but I am EBF so it isn't an option. Also, I get pregnant easily so pull and pray and temping make me nervous.

• DH is getting a vasectomy in october.

I am debating doing a depo shot until he is cleared, but I have never done one before and am not sure what to expect. I know long term it can lead to bone loss; not sure about one use.

We did use NFP, which worked great for almost two years, but it is hard to do when BF at first.

I have also debated doing the essure, to make sure. (Horrid HG! Our last child will be adopted.)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Depo for the foreseeable future . A shot every three months is easy enough to remember :)

image imageimage 

September Siggy Challenge : Favorite Childhood Movies ( Sorry I have two)

• DH and I are discussing what we want to do. When I first got pregnant, we kept saying one and done. The original plan was if I had a csection, I would just get my tubes tied while they were in there. Well, as we got closer to our due date, we discussed more kids, and how we wanted 2. The original plan, was just let nature take its course...If I got pregnant again, then great. Well fast forward to delivery, I end up with a csection, and told I am not allowed to get pregnant again for at least 18m. I am about to turn 36...I know woman have babies up through their forties, but we do not want to wait that long for a second. I do NOT want to go on a pill again. I hated how I felt taking hormones. Condoms are NOT an option, I am allergic to the spermicide. We gonna discuss it with the OB...but I am really bummed I have to wait so long to try again..

• I can't handle hormonal BC. Well be using condoms until we decide if we're done or not.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bunnyfer said:

DH and I are discussing what we want to do. When I first got pregnant, we kept saying one and done. The original plan was if I had a csection, I would just get my tubes tied while they were in there. Well, as we got closer to our due date, we discussed more kids, and how we wanted 2. The original plan, was just let nature take its course...If I got pregnant again, then great. Well fast forward to delivery, I end up with a csection, and told I am not allowed to get pregnant again for at least 18m. I am about to turn 36...I know woman have babies up through their forties, but we do not want to wait that long for a second. I do NOT want to go on a pill again. I hated how I felt taking hormones. Condoms are NOT an option, I am allergic to the spermicide. We gonna discuss it with the OB...but I am really bummed I have to wait so long to try again..

@bunnyfer did your dr tell you why you had to wait 18 months? I had a csection with both dd's and was told I had to wait 12 months but if we really wanted to we could start try after 10 months. I was just curious why your dr wanted you to wait another 6 months

• I think I'm going to go on the pill. If we are going to have another LO we will start trying in a year and after dd1 my dr said it wasn't worth it to only go on mirena for a year. I'm going to discuss options with him at my 6wk follow up
  • @adamnkel I was just told 18mo by all the nurses and the residents who did my C. I dont see my OB until Oct, so I will discuss it then. I have not done any research on how long I can wait..But the of course gave me tons of horror stories if I did not wait..almost like a scare tactic...I also do not know if I would be allowed to VBAC or if I would have to schedule another C...I try not to think to much about it, cause if I do, I get depressed

• I had Mirena after DS1 and will be getting it again this time around. We definitely want another baby, but not for 2-3 years. I hate condoms and I know I would never use them and end up pregnant again before we're ready.

• I'm going with the mirena.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • Well, I'm Bf, so I don't think BC will be an option. I got pregnant like the week I stopped the pill after being on it got 10 years, literally. And I don't want to go through this again until its a fuzzy, distant memory.

I'm planning to do Mirena and pull and pray.

I am a little scared though, because one of my friends had horrible pain and couldn't DTD for months after getting it removed. Really hoping that wont happen to me.

• mgg242 said:

Natural Family Planning 

This plus the pull out method worked for 8 years so if we get preg before we are ready than it was meant to be. I can't handle hormonal bc and I don't like the thought of having something inside me
    We aren't sure if we want a 2nd baby but if we do it won't be till 3 or 4 years. I do want to be finished having kids befor I'm 30 though and I will be 26 soon
  • I've actually been struggling with this. I was on bcp for 8 years, then had infertility and needed IUI to conceive so even though the docs said the pill had nothing to do with it, in my mind I think it did so I don't really want hormonal birth control. But that being said I know we won't use condoms, nothing against it but I just don't see us actually using them regularly. BUT I don't want to get pregnant again for at least 2 years. So I'm stuck. My OB suggested trying the mini pill since its less hormones, DH said its up to me but was fine with NFP and "pull and pray". Anyone have info or thoughts on the mini pill?

TTC since July 2011
    HSG normal in May 2012 followed by three unmonitored clomid cycles unsuccessful
    Unexplained female infertility (My husband apparently has super sperm)
    IUI # 1 Nov 24
    BFP Dec 8! EDD Aug 17th, due to Preeclampsia and HELLP, Kylie Penelope was born July 30th!

• I still have no idea what method I'm choosing and my doctor's appointment is next week so I'm supposed to tell her. Oops! I'm EBF so my only options really are the IUD, condoms, or the mini pill. I'm not really too excited about any of those ideas. The IUD scares me with the complications (plus if I don't like it and have to get it removed it's going to be a PITA) and the mini pill must be taken at the same time every day and my schedule varies so much. Throw a newborn in the mix and I'm sure I'll forget to take it as necessary. As for condoms they just ruin sex for me. It's like washing your feet with your socks on...pointless lol And I hate the smell of them once they've been used (TMI sorry)
  • Mirena and pull and pray. Im not ready for a second baby for five plus years. But i told db if my career is on track in two to three years ill consider trying sooner
  • Mini pill and charting/denying dh during fertile window. When LO is a year and I'm done EBF, then we will try for one more and tie my tubes during the next c section. We have 2 older kids from his first marriage full time. That would put us at 4 kids and that's plenty for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"