School-Aged Children

How far away?

How far away did/will you travel while your child is in school?  No one on the emergency list has ever actually watched DD without me being there and I'm not sure in fact that any of them would be able to drop everything and run to pick her up if there was a need.  I was thinking about heading to my moms house (55 minutes away) after I drop DD1 at school one day but I don't know if that's too far to go, just in case.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How far away?

• We went an hour away, once.  But we have a list of emergency contacts and several would be able to basically drop and go if needed.  Normally I stay within 30 minutes, though.  But I'd go 55. I just wouldn't daily or anything, maybe.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • An hour away is okay, especially if it's not cold/flu season and your child is unlikely to get sick while at school.

Both my husband and I work in situations where it could be an hour before we could get to our kids' schools.  School nurses know that they may have to keep a sick kid in the nurse's office for a little while until a parent can get there.  

My DD came down with the stomach flu at school on a day I was giving a test.  I really couldn't leave work.  My DH was giving a scheduled training but was able to wrap up within 20 minutes and leave.  The nurse was very understanding, and DD was fine as long as she knew she didn't have to go back to class and that her dad was finishing up ASAP and on the way.  It'll be fine!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"