Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Pushing baby's bedtime later?

Has anyone had any success pushing your baby's bedtime later and can share any tips? LO has been going to sleep for the night by 6:15-6:30pm. We usually start her bedtime routine by 5:30-5:45 when she first starts showing signs of tiredness. I'd like to push it back maybe an hour because of activities I want us to participate in a couple days a week that start around 4:30 or 5:00 would make us get home around 6:30. Of course I could just take her out and end up with a sleeping baby, or a grumpy one! Or bypass bedtime routine and put her straight to bed when we get home. She would probably fall asleep without going through the routine. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pushing baby's bedtime later?

• Just do it gradually - move it by like 15-30 minutes and give it a few days until you get to the time you want. 
  • But don't count on your LO to sleep any longer in the morning.  DS has gradually been moving his bedtime up from 7ish to 6:30 or earlier, and he still sleeps until the same time in the morning.  I think the wake-up time is pretty set in babies no matter what else changes.

I know it's annoying that you can't do anything past that time.  But the good thing is you can get a babysitter after LO is asleep and still have plenty of time to go out to dinner.  It does seem like a waste to pay a sitter for that, so if you have friends in the same boat, do a babysitting swap.  (Going off on a tangent, sorry!)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If I were you, I'd skip the routine. I mean it's only 2 days a week. Pushing bedtime later would just cause more trouble than what it's worth, in my experience.
  • We have been victims to DS switching his routine on us. It's been hard! He used to fall asleep around 9:30pm, and wake up at 6:00am every. single. morning. Suddenly, he wouldn't sleep until 10 or 11pm, and would wake up around 7 or 8am. He still slept the same amount of time, just different hours. It was hard sometimes.

I really needed him to go back to his old routine, and we've been doing it gradually like @kelly422 said. 15 minutes earlier every day, and so far so good. Maybe 15 minutes later every night could work for you?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i'd see how she does and try skipping the routine, or doing a very abbreviated version.i might also try to extend her daytime wakeups by 5-10 min gradually so she's taking a later nap, and maybe not as tired by 6. we usually have bedtime about 1.5-3 hours after my son's last nap, though it can change if we're out later and then we just change/feed him when we get home and put him down for bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"